Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

ISSUE 80 IS OUT NOW

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

ISSUE 80 IS OUT NOW

Postby les taylor » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:57 am

Dave has been 1 invoice for the company and Issue 80 for me. :)

Here's a picture of the mag. Along with it's little free booklet, especially for Musky who won't see his for a while.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: ISSUE 80 IS OUT NOW

Postby Bruichladdict » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:02 pm

Sorry gents,

I'm no longer a subscriber. To be honest, I found the content a little repetitive and it certainly did not stimulate much inner discussion of the topics presented.

I think Mark Reynier had a point - and I don't begrudge WM because you've got to pay the bills - but I just don't sense that the magazine is about connoisseurs, but rather more about industry PR.

The only writers I truly enjoyed were Broom and Roskrow. Their writing would stand up in any magazine.

My editorial advice would be to pay attention more to the fora our there to get a sense of what is driving the connoisseurs' discussions. Simply catering to advertising patrons just won't cut it in the long run. Get a sense of where the buzz is amongst connoisseurs and do some journalism! Challenge the industry.

Anyway, I still enjoyed the magazine and continue to enjoy the forum.
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby Rob Allanson » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:46 pm

Bruichladdict wrote:Sorry gents,

I'm no longer a subscriber. To be honest, I found the content a little repetitive and it certainly did not stimulate much inner discussion of the topics presented.

I think Mark Reynier had a point - and I don't begrudge WM because you've got to pay the bills - but I just don't sense that the magazine is about connoisseurs, but rather more about industry PR.

The only writers I truly enjoyed were Broom and Roskrow. Their writing would stand up in any magazine.

My editorial advice would be to pay attention more to the fora our there to get a sense of what is driving the connoisseurs' discussions. Simply catering to advertising patrons just won't cut it in the long run. Get a sense of where the buzz is amongst connoisseurs and do some journalism! Challenge the industry.

Anyway, I still enjoyed the magazine and continue to enjoy the forum.

Ok normally this would get me a little wound up but the sun is out here and i am in a good mood.
However I resent any suggestion that the magazine is little more than pr for the industry. I and my team do not pander to advertising patrons and the sense of journalism is high.
I try to have a broad reach of articles, ranging from easily accessible to the techy stuff, so I am surprised you cannot find anything in each edition to stimulate you - especially as Broom and Roskrow still write in the magazine.
Happily I will take on board your comments, as I do with all criticism, and throw them into the mix when looking at further editions.
It is good to see you still make use of the forums and would be happy to welcome you back to subscribing in the future.

rob
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby TreacleSponge » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:50 am

The Whisky Bars booklet lists The Malt Lounge in Windermere, which sounds like a whisky bar but it's actually an off-licence called Windermere Wine Stores. I think it just uses Malt Lounge as a website name for its shops in Windermere & Ambleside.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Rob Allanson » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:05 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:The Whisky Bars booklet lists The Malt Lounge in Windermere, which sounds like a whisky bar but it's actually an off-licence called Windermere Wine Stores. I think it just uses Malt Lounge as a website name for its shops in Windermere & Ambleside.

Ok thanks for that....will make sure the database is updated to say that...
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby michael Foggarty » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:23 pm

Rob Allanson wrote:
TreacleSponge wrote:The Whisky Bars booklet lists The Malt Lounge in Windermere, which sounds like a whisky bar but it's actually an off-licence called Windermere Wine Stores. I think it just uses Malt Lounge as a website name for its shops in Windermere & Ambleside.

Ok thanks for that....will make sure the database is updated to say that...

Hi Rob

Can you also update the Irish Bar Section, i do believe my self and my boss in the Celtic Whiskey Shop got very wound up about this book last year and the Irish section is exactly the same!

Unfortunately we do quite a bit of wholesale work with the whisky bars in Ireland ranging from supply, menu design, staff training etc

The problem is when these bars get a hold of the little book and dont see their name in it and a bar that has closed down/doesnt stock whisky is mentioned i get a real ear bashing from them!

Maybe the magazine could do a feature on whisky bars in Dublin/Ireland, i would be glad to help in anyway

Now should i have spelt it whisky or whiskey!!!
michael Foggarty

Postby MacAttack80 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:15 am

I picked up my copy the other day. A lot of info on bourbon whiskey. Now after reading it, I am on this bourbon kick. Drinking some Blantons now. Its seems to be hitting the spot :D
MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:07 pm

Les:
Thanks for the belated Birthday gift - a picture of the latest issue - on the first posting on this thread. I assume that you live within a few minutes of Norfolk and Dave picks up your copy at the WM offices before he walks down the road to deliver it!

Rob, I do not find the magazine repetitive from my perspective. I've been a subscriber for a number of years. Even if I don't find interest in one of the articles I still read through it out of respect for the wordsmith that created it, and in case there's a gem of wisdom hidden away.

I also look for grammatical inaccuracies, although I choose not to report them back to you and the gang. Considering you probably saw them when you received the finished product, there's not much use in my adding my baying about the loss of skill in writing.

Do I appreciate the changes to the format? Some I do and some things I miss, but - overall, you provide an acceptable platform for the disemmination of whisky knowledge. Whisky Magazine fills a huge gap in information about the "crature" that is missing from this part of the globe. Distance from the source of all things whisky is our problem which is alleviated by WM' efforts. The Forums also provide an outlet to glean and share knowledge across the timezones. This is something I really do appreciate, almost as much as I do the publication.

In closing, I appreciate all the efforts that you make on our collective behalf. Although you can't please all of us, all the time, you still make a solid effort every month. Thank you.

Peter, aka Muskrat Portage/ Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:25 pm

Les, can you post a picture of page 2? When I'm finished reading that, you can post a picture of page 3.

I like whisky mag, but my concentration span is so short I never get to read it all.
Aidan

Postby les taylor » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:16 pm

Aidan wrote:Les, can you post a picture of page 2? When I'm finished reading that, you can post a picture of page 3.

I like whisky mag, but my concentration span is so short I never get to read it all.

Aidan that is so funny I went to go and do it. Unfortunately page 2 is a full page glossy advert for Blanton's Single Barrel. Pick another page and I'll see what I can do. :)
les taylor

Postby les taylor » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:24 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:Les:
Thanks for the belated Birthday gift - a picture of the latest issue - on the first posting on this thread. I assume that you live within a few minutes of Norfolk and Dave picks up your copy at the WM offices before he walks down the road to deliver it!

Pete, Dave has a very big round.

Seriously I feel very fortunate to be one of the first one's to recieve the mag when it comes out. As I work from home I'm always here when Dave calls. If however for some reason I have to go and see a client or something on a Friday or Saturday morning I'm always looking forward to getting back and checking the post, just in case the next issue has come.

Muskrat Portage wrote:In closing, I appreciate all the efforts that you make on our collective behalf. Although you can't please all of us, all the time, you still make a solid effort every month. Thank you.

Rob I have to second Pete's comments here I really do appreciate the magazine and enjoy most of the features, and always look forward to the next issue coming out. Some of the articles I read twice after going through it.
les taylor

Postby Aidan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:47 pm

les taylor wrote:
Aidan wrote:Les, can you post a picture of page 2? When I'm finished reading that, you can post a picture of page 3.

Aidan that is so funny I went to go and do it. Unfortunately page 2 is a full page glossy advert for Blanton's Single Barrel. Pick another page and I'll see what I can do. :)

Les, what about page 12?

Maybe you could threaten to reproduce one page of this every hour until Paragraph Publishing agree to reduce your subscription fee?
Aidan

Postby Rob Allanson » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:57 am

Dear All,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the comments, has made me smile this morning.
Sometimes it feels like an under appreciated job sitting in this chair because, as is human nature, complaining and pointing out faults is easier than praising. So i really do appreciate it and will try my best to keep the mag up to your expectations.
That said, I will be commissioning articles from the writers in a couple of months for next year's editions.
Tell me what the issues are you want covering, what do you want to see and read about?
Am away in Scotland for a week visiting Glenfiddich, Glenglassaugh, Tomatin, the Laing Bros, Inver House and Auchentoshan...phew, but after that I will start a new topic thread so we can keep all the ideas in one place.
Rob Allanson
Editor

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder