Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whiskies of the world

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Whiskies of the world

Postby Pot Stiller » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:49 pm

Hello, this is the first time I've submitted anything to the forum, and truth be told, I probably wouldn't if I wasn't so wound up by the "Whiskies of the World" Setion of the Website.

As someone who is used to having people look down their noses at Irish Whiskey because most are not Single Malts I was most surprised to notice that WM has managed to alter most Irish whiskies to be Single Malts!
Congratulations! Obviously Irish Distillers and Cooley have been engaged in secret plans to revolutionise Irish Whiskey making.

Then I noticed some other things....
There is a totally new Region in Scotland "Highands". I am not picking up a typo - because the Highlands region is also present!

And then there is "Japanese" and "Japanaese Whisky", not to mention "Zealand" Whisky! As Zealand (The Netherlands) is just down the road from me I must run down and get me some!!

All these developments going on and not once mentioned in any of the books or Magazines!!

Seriously though, you need to do something about this.
The world of Whisk(e)y can be confusing enough as it is without blatantly wrong information being on your website.
I'm sure many of the producers are unhappy, and I'm sure that many of the regular users are rapidly losing faith in your publication. I know I am.

Please do something!
Pot Stiller

Postby Matt2 » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:25 pm

The WM team are working on cleaning the Whiskies of the World data, however it is quite a long job. Of course they need to focus on getting the next issue of the magazine out and preparing for Whisky Live.

I guess the real choice is either the whole section is removed till it is all complete, or they give what they have and update it when possible.

I think WM have given the users of this site alot of free information, at considerable cost. (It's not cheap to host / build a busy site like this).

Hopefully in the weeks following xmas you will see some updates and changes to the WotW section, I know WM are dedicated to publishing this site alongside their excellent magazine.

Matt.
Matt2

Postby Pot Stiller » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:53 pm

Matt,
I am not being critical because some information is out of date or open to misinterpretation.

I am being critical because it is obvious that no person with a passing interest in whisk(e)y has proof read the content before it went live.

The result is that large quantities of the information is down right wrong, and that other information is mis-leading.

I don't argue that you guys are working under pressure and that the magazine is a priority. However, in my humble opinion, the two products are related, the magazine and the site (I read both) and that each reflects on the other.

It is not difficult or time consuming (nor expensive) to either remove the link or insert an "under construction" until the section is ready to go.

People use your site as a reference. If your information is found to be wrong, your reputation will suffer.

That's my point.
Pot Stiller

Good news for WotW

Postby Matt2 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:37 pm

Very valid point Pot Stiller and ...

I think you will all be pleased to hear that the Whiskies of the World section has now been updated. :D

Regular updates will be made as new whiskies are reviewed in the magazine. If you have any comments or suggestions for the section please let us know.
Matt2

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder