Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Subscription costs for Europe???

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Subscription costs for Europe???

Postby E-Malt » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi,

Just renewed my subscription because i like the mag. very much. But can someone please explain why the subscription costs are highest of all subscriptions for Europe mainland? Subscription for all other countries seem to be around 80 Euro's for two years, but mainland Europe costs 119 Euro?? Are 'we' the milking cow, or is there another reason?

Hope someone can explain, i could have bought a nice bottle for the difference.

Grtz,
EMalt
E-Malt

Re: Subscription costs for Europe???

Postby Sanjin » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:22 pm

I was just wondering the same, seems to be cheaper to order WhiskyMag if you live in Indonesia (to name one) than in europe at the moment, seems really strange to me.
Sanjin

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:15 am

It works out to 34.89 Euros ($49.95) to purchase a one year Canadian subscription. Odd, very odd. You are much closer than I, so it must have something to do with the EU taxation duties. Hope you find out.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Someone give Rob a nudge and wake him up .... :P

The magazine is printed in various locations around the world. Copies printed in the US are cheaper to send to Canada than it is to send UK printed copies to Europe. Something like that anyway, where it is printed and where it is being sent to = price you pay.

:thumbsup:
Matt2

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks Matt, for clearing that up. I was wondering what sort of taxes could make such an impact. I'll gladly take a bit of delay in delivery to continue getting a deal!
I guess we're lucky to have the printing done in the US, as I suspect Canadian printing costs are one heck of a lot higher. (Note to other Forummers: Emigration to Canada = better subscription costs for UK magazines)
:D :D :D :D :D

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Sanjin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:19 pm

I can understand that about the US and Canada, but it's still cheaper to live in Indonedia, India or even South Korea than in Europe. I just find that a bit weird.
Sanjin

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:49 pm

Sory Sanjin, I just noticed you'd commented. I'm a bit slow off the mark sometimes over here. If we want to get into costs of living topics, we should really open up another thread in "The Bar". Suffice to say that although Whisky Magazine is cheaper in North America, by no means is it cheaper to live here. I find that costs are directly related to how far up the globe you live.

In Ontario, below the 49th parallel, where there's a larger population base, costs are lower due to closesness of markets to customers. North of that it's more costly due to transportation costs, or so we're told. It applies to foodstuffs, fuel and generally any form of consumables. Of course if you move west into the next couple of Provinces, the prices drop as their population base is clustered closer to the temperate zone. These are just generalisations as someone will respond, "Edmonton/ Saskatoon/ Whitehorse etc" aren't close to the border and have large population bases." The point is prices in Canada are generally tied to how far north you live from the industrial heartland.

Mind you, with that being said, we don't pay as much in taxes as some European countries. ... Yet anyways. HST is on the horizon.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder