Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

"My Whisky" topic

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

"My Whisky" topic

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:17 am

I've been adding whisky to the "My Whisky" list and at the bottom of the list is a link to a topic called "My Whisky" which does not as yet exist.

I suspect the difficulty is trying to figure out how to allow forummers to add legitimate whiskies to the database without corrupting it. I would propose that a set criteria be put in place, which will be vetted before the whisky is allowed onto the database. A form could be developed, similar to that used in the Live tasting notes where the person logs in, fills in the set fields and hits "Post". The form is already in the website and only needs to be vetted by another set of eyes to winnow out the pranksters.

This would allow us to fill in the gaps in our collections and WM to get a truer picture of what is being purchased in the markets worldwide. Something which advertisers would be interested, I am sure.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: "My Whisky" topic

Postby lockejn » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:11 pm

Surely a volunteer member or two of good standing could be promoted to oversee new entries with occasional oversight from WM staff. . .
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:25 pm

Good points and all valid. It is a problem that needs sorting out but no answers yet.

The idea of promoting members was in the mix sometime ago, but from experience even the most established and trusted members will at some point turn on the forum and attempt to destory or disrupt it.

And anyone contributing in that way should really get paid, everyone else does so it would seem unfair to expect members to give their time for free to build WMs database.

It's got to be along the lines of Muskys idea, a form submission that can be approved by Rob and quickly dumped into the office database system. But approving and checking takes about as long as researching and entering the data in the first place. And we can never risk dirty, wrong or intentionally bad data going on the system....

And the truth is that maybe sites like Whiskybase are in a better position to do that type of global database, that's all they do so it's not extra work on their plate.

Hmmm... we will see what happens in the future with it.. but as you know at the moment nothing is happening at all with data or updates :oops:
Matt2

Postby lockejn » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:50 pm

Perhaps "promote" is the wrong word. Surely you could accept "entries" from certain members being assured that they have already completed and verified the relevant data such that WM staff would only have to input it. No extra rights or privileges necessary.

There could be a thread or sub-forum where anyone could offer up the expression they'd like added with all the pertinent details at hand. One of the volunteers could solicit further info from the OP or the forum at large or seek it out from authoritative sources (google search, distillery contact, personal stock, etc) to complete the entry as necessary. There could be a separate thread or sub-forum or online form that only these volunteers have access to where that completed and vetted entry could be posted where WM staff could essentially copy and paste into the database with only a cursory examination.

I don't really see an angle for abuse here. There could be guidelines to keep the database to reasonable limits - not necessarily entering every expression ever released from every IB - but enough so folks could add something reasonably close to their "My Whsiky" list and use the notes field to hash out the minutia.

And we're not talking about driving slaves, here. Everyone gets something out of it and no one is obligated to do anything. It would move along at the pace of prevailing enthusiasm - no deadlines or grand plan.

Just some thoughts.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:14 pm

WM Forumites and collectors of fine whiskies:I just tried the "My Whisky" feature again, on a whim - and it works, beautifully! Once you've found the whisky in the database, just enter the quantities, a comment if needbe and hit the arrows to the right. Your whisky and notation are immediately saved to your list.

Pretty neat. Now I've gotta do an inventory and update, update, update! Way to go WM!

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:01 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote: Once you've found the whisky in the database,

That's the problem. The database is very limited. Far better at Whiskybase.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:00 pm

Willie:
Yeah, but it's a challenge to see what you can put on the database! Like whisky collecting, the joy is in the hunt.
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder