Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Magazine (not) Missing again

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Whisky Magazine (not) Missing again

Postby Peatfreak » Wed May 05, 2004 9:19 pm

:oops: Having just returned from another successful and highly enjoyable Speyside Whisky festival it was once again highly noticeable that whisky magazine were not present.

What was also highly noticeable was that in the recent issue of whisky magazine that there was a two page spread on the up coming Islay festival but no mention of Speyside. I love my peaty whiskies (hence the name) but come on give speyside its due! The best whisky in the world (according to whisky mag) is a speyside.

I look forward to whiskymags review of the festival.

Sorry rant over!
Peatfreak

SPeyside Vs Isaly

Postby susywong » Tue May 11, 2004 11:51 am

I agree with you, peat freak. I too was at the Speyside festival, which was a roaring success. Yet, lo and behold no mention of it in WM and no WM reps present at all. I find this highly confusing considering that over half of ALL distilleries are based in the Speyside region. Why, was it not The Macallan which was WM's "best maly in the world"?? In that case why oh why was there no preview? I mean surely being able to visit MAcallan, Aberlour, Glen Moray, ALL Dufftown distilleries (including Kininvie), Cragganmore, Glenfarclas, Strathisla, Dallas Dhu, Benromach and Cardhu to name but a few should be worth reviewing?? Not to mention the multiple tastings from Cadenheads, Easy Drinking Whisky, G&M.....the list is endless

Yet, there is a 2 page run up to the Islay festival. Don't get me wrong, everyone likes different whiskies, but come on guys, give Speyside a break!!

If it weren't for Glenfiddich, then there wouldn't be nearly as much single malts available to us. Glenfiddich were the first to export and others followed suit.

Speyside 44
Islay 7 ..........You do the maths
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby Peatfreak » Mon May 17, 2004 1:20 pm

:x here here susy wong

Willie
Peatfreak

Postby susywong » Mon May 17, 2004 3:18 pm

Surprisingly enough, there is no response from Whisky Mag.!! When will Whisky Mag realise there is more to whisky than Islay?

There are not 1, but 2 festivals in Speyside every year. The Spirit of Speyside festival in Spring and the Dufftown/Speyside festival in Autumn. Hopefully after omitting to review the spring festival, WM will see the error of their ways and review the Autumn festival! :?:

..........i won't hold my breath!
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Mon May 17, 2004 4:20 pm

:roll:

Although there may not have been a WM stand or exhibition, Marcin was there representing the magazine. There is a review of the event coming in issue 40.

susywong wrote:Surprisingly enough, there is no response from Whisky Mag.!!

Don't be suprised susywong, WM rarely post replies in the forums (except for me). It's a kind of policy to allow our readers and other whisky lovers to just get on with it. There isn't the time to get into discussions with everyone on the forums.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed the festival and look forward to reading about in WM soon. :)
Matt2

Postby susywong » Thu May 20, 2004 9:18 am

duly noted matt. Any recognition for the speyside festivals is welcomend, but i'll reserve judgement untill i've read the "review"!
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby Peatfreak » Thu May 20, 2004 2:18 pm

Fair play Matt,

go easy on the lad wong!!! Anyway I also await the review and look forward to greater speyside coverage in the future.

Willie
Peatfreak

Postby susywong » Fri May 21, 2004 9:19 am

OK, OK. I'll wait for the review Willie, and if it's good, i may just have to eat some humble pie and apologise to WM.
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Mon May 24, 2004 9:40 am

:D
Matt2

Postby Peatfreak » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:55 pm

:roll: Nice to see your review of the "chivas" speyside whisky festival!!!! what about the other events! or did no one else do anything at the festival!

How will you manage to review the Islay festival if there are no chivas distilleries there!! or will you review one distillery and forget about the rest of the festival.

Regards

Willie
Peatfreak

Postby Matt2 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:48 pm

:oops: You've got a point there, and it has been mentioned on other forums. I can't really comment too much (because I don't know that much) but I don't think it was on purpose, just the way Marcins day went.

Lets hope there is a bit more variety in the Isaly review and personally I would have liked to see more information about Speyside festival.
Matt2

Postby susywong » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:43 pm

We can only hope that WM can redeem themselves by reviewing the Autumn speyside festival (properly) and hope that they actually manage to review more than just chivas distilleries!! :wink:
susywong
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder