Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Pop up adds

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Pop up adds

Postby Pipe and dram » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:23 am

I don't mind the odd pop up add when you log in but it is a little annoying that it pops up all the time and you have to close it as you move around the site. Can this be corrected?

Thanks
Pipe and dram

Postby lexkraai » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:26 am

Good point, it is pretty annoying all the time ....

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:48 am

Solution:
Install a toolbar in your IE-browser that blocks pop-ups (ie Google), or install a webbrowser with an in-built pop-up blocker (Opera, Mozilla Firefox...)

Works for me.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Matt2 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:03 am

No don't install an ad blocker :cry:

The popup ads are set to be displayed to a single user once every 30 minutes. You should not get them everytime a page loads.

Check to make sure you are not blocking any cookies from whiskymag.com or adserver.paragraphpublishing.net

If you still get them evertime a page loads please post details of your operating system and browser here and I will try and sort it out.
Matt2

Postby lexkraai » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:09 am

Sorry Matt, I do get them every time I go to another page. It's pretty annoying to say the least and does make me limit checking the whiskymag web-site. I tried pop-up blockers, but they didn't work (so far).

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Matt2 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:29 am

Hi Lex, I have suspended popup ads till I get it fixed, now you can browse the site in peace :)
Matt2

Postby lexkraai » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:34 am

A breath of fresh air when coming back to the site! Thanks Matt and no need to rush fixing the pop-up problem. Suspension is just fine for me .....

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:25 pm

I'm with Lex. Get them all the time. Discourages my use of the site. It now loads in a fraction of the time. You can keep them suspended for me too. :D
Ash

Pop up adds

Postby Pipe and dram » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:04 pm

Hi Matt - thanks for your quick response - i sent this last night and the problem solved right away. I know why you have the adds, but having to close them all the time is a bit of a pain. Whatever you can do to solve will be appreciated.

Bruichladdich site has the same thing happening on their site.

Slainte
Pipe and dram

Postby Matt2 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:49 pm

No problem guys, I hate popups as much as the next person :?

If you were getting them on every page can you post details of your web browser.

Name of browser
Version number (usually found under the 'Help'->'About' menu)
Operating system / version
Cookies enabled or disabled

Thanks.
Matt2

Postby lexkraai » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:41 pm

Matt, as I said, I was getting them with every page. I use Netscape 7.1 and Windows XP Professional, cookies enabled.

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Matt2 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:29 pm

Ahhh Netscrape could be the problem .... have you tried Mozilla Fire(fox,bird,bunny what ever it is called now) ?
Matt2

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:47 pm

IE Version 6 and XP Home, cookies enabled.
Pop-ups every page
Ash
Ash

Postby lexkraai » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:42 am

Sorry Matt, but I don't think me using Netscape is the problem. Netscape works absolutely fine for me and I see no reason to change it. The problem is annoying pop-ups. If a web-site, any web-site, is using them extensively I simply use that web-site less or not at all.

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:24 pm

I think many forget that advertising on websites is actually making websites possible. It gives a bit of revenue to the people behind the websites, and using software to block ads could be considered as stealing from the webmasters behind the website.

I run some ads on PeatFreak too, which by the way, only pay anything when people actually click on them. Currently its not even enough to pay me back the costs for the hosting alone... But as they are not very intrusive (IMO, and I havent heard any complaints about them, in fact, some told me on each visit they click a few! (thanks guys ;) )) I'm going to leave them on for now.

That said, I fully agree that popup/under windows are really annoying. I run Firefox, and had popups as well loading on each page, and am sorry to say I disabled the possibility for this website to open new windows. I did not however blocked the banners showing on the pages ;)
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Matt2 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:14 am

Well this is all Very strange. I have now tried the site with IE5, IE6, Firefox, Netscape 7 and Opera, and I only see 1 popup ad every 30 minutes (the way it should be).

I talked with the developers of the ad software (Phpadsnew) and they say it is all working fine and have no issues with their software.

:?
Matt2

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:21 am

Although I see the need for publishers to put ads on a site, I still think popups/unders are a real pain for the end user.

I hope the descision to use this form of advertising will be switched to banners or another less interupting form...

It could have very wel been that all pages I looked at took me longer then 30 secs, so in effect I got a new popup each page I viewed, and so are others experiencing the same problem.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder