Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Blind tastings

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Blind tastings

Postby lexkraai » Mon Sep 17, 2001 9:26 am

Hi all

In the latest issue (19), the tastings of new relases and a bourbon line-up are said to have been done blind.

I very much applaud that, but curiously in a large proportion of the notes there is clear reference to the distillery or brand. How is that possible in a blind tasting?

I'd be grateful if someone from WhiskyMag could explain in more detail exactly how the tastings were done and which aspect was blind.

Slainte!
Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby DB » Mon Sep 17, 2001 10:25 am

Hi Lex.. I'm glad you approve of the concept of blind tasting.
Here's how I do it. After all the samples arrive they are are arranged (not by me!) into flights (meaning I'm not tasting a peated/sherried malt before a 'light' one) I then taste as per normal, writing down my impressions and finally giving them a mark. This process is then repeated with the whiskies which I feel either show high quality, or are slightly baffling.. Some are tasted three, four times. Only then are the bottles revealed.
Having quickly scanned my notes for this issue I can only see references to distillery/brand/age in the conclusions which are completed after the bottles are revealed. I feel that there's often some wider point to make: the need for the finish on the Glenlivet 30yo, whether this is a good example of this distillery's make etc. and that the 'conclusion' panel is the most appropriate place to make it. This is a consumer magazine after all, some reference to the provenance of the whisky is vital.
The exceptions to this are in the notes to the Wild Turkey range where I felt it was important to differentiate between the four on offer. Maybe the comments should have been in the conclusion, but I assure you they were tasted blind.

slainte

dave
DB

Postby lexkraai » Mon Sep 17, 2001 10:39 am

Dave, thanks for clearing this up so quickly! I very much hope blind tasting will be the norm from now on in WM.

I certainly take your point about the provenance of the whiskies, but maybe it would be good to include in the next issue a brief explanation that the whiskies were tasted blind but that the conclusions were written after the bottles were revealed?

Slainte, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder