Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Magazine Online

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Would you subscribe for WM Online?

No
36%
Yes - £1 - £5 per month
11%
Yes - £5 - £10 per month
No votes
Yes - £10 - £15 per month
4%
Yes - £15 - £20 per month
No votes
Yes - £20+ per month
No votes
I would expect this free with my normal subscription
49%

Total votes : 55

Whisky Magazine Online

Postby Matt2 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:19 am

Hi everyone,

I would be interested to know your thoughts on subscribing to read Whisky Magazine online. This would be seperate to your normal magazine subscription, so you could choose to just subscribe online.

:?: Yearly or monthly subscription fee.

:?: Read all articles from all issues of the magazine, 800+ articles (simple text without pics).

:?: Read new issues online the day of publication.

:?: Store your favourite articles in your own personal area on the website.

:?: Email credits, allowing you to email a set number of articles per month to friends or family.

:?: Option to make it easy to print articles

Please be honest with your choice and not just select the cheapest option. Votes here will not determine the price.
Last edited by Matt2 on Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt2

Postby JimHall » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:46 pm

Don't have the time to spend at a computer.
The time I do have I would rather spend on the forums.
£120 a year ... thats alot of money in addition to the normal subs.
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:11 pm

THe E-mail credits sound interesting, but if I'm on-line, I'm at the forum. The mag I tend to read on the bus on the way to work.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:03 pm

It's great with alternatives although I have to admit I prefer a printed magazine. And I'm really looking forward to opening my post box and find Whiskymag + Scotland Magazine!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:26 pm

I'm a collector (for better or worse) and so I have all my issues from the beginning and I frequently refer back to previous issues to look up some small point, it would be difficult to do this on line.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:48 pm

I think this would be great. One of the reasons I did not renew my subscription lately was ebcuase of the high costs, and the late delivery.

An online choice will be welcomed here and might get me reading WM again :)

I am just wondering about your prices... I really wouldnt pay more then 5GBP for a bi monthly online magazine (despite the back issues). And 20GBP+ ?
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:52 pm

Free sounds great to me.
Aidan

Postby lambda » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:31 pm

What will you do about me subscribing for 1 month and simply downloading (or printing) all 800 articles, so I can read everything offline the rest of the year? And even if you can prevent this, how is it fair that a fast reader or someone with a lot of time on his hands gets more content than someone else?

I think it's a good idea to offer the content online. However, I don't really like these kind of subscriptions. Why not have members actually pay for the content you offer? Additionally, I would think it's fair to ask for a (relatively small) monthly fee for the bandwidth and service.

So, if someone subscribes to the paper version, I would expect you get access to the online version of the issues you have received. Similarly, let members buy additional "online magazines" for a reduced rate (you don't have the cost of printing it after all).

An answer to the poll I don't really have. During the holidays I might get enough value out of it to pay 20 pounds, but in general: of course not! :D
lambda
Bronze Member

Postby lexkraai » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:00 am

I'm based in the UK and have had a paper subscription from issue one (so I have the full 'archive' ready to access at home, including my self-made index to all articles and tastings). I normally get the mag one or two days after it being published, so paying extra for on-line access certainly isn't worth it for me. Also, I much prefer to read articles in a physical mag than on a computer screen, so would always choose a paper subscription over an on-line one.

So, in short, I wouldn't be interested in an on-line subscription; even if it was free together with the paper subscription, I would probably very rarely make use of it.

But that's just me in my situation!
Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:29 pm

I'm a collector (for better or worse) and so I have all my issues from the beginning and I frequently refer back to previous issues to look up some small point, it would be difficult to do this on line.

My thoughts exactly.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:25 pm

Thanks for the interesting comments, all are valid and it is great to get this instant feedback.

Here is another idea we are looking at http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2707 , appreciate your comments and votes in there as well.
Matt2

Postby MGillespie » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:44 am

Matt:

As long as you're asking, here's what I would be interested in seeing...

I'd like to see a downloadable version of the magazine through Zinio that would eliminate the lengthy wait for mail delivery...that way, those who want could archive it on their computers, or print it out for their own use.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby ikendal » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:01 pm

I like the mag in the physical.

I would not like to pay more for the online edition.

Considering the additional funding received through advertisment, you could publishing online as well (free of charge to subscribers) this surely would only be a benifit to your company.
ikendal
Bronze Member

WM Online edition

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:54 pm

(Aside) Hey Lex, would you will your back issues to me?

I prefer to have the hard copy in my hands to peruse at my leisure as I can drag out and sample the very product that may be profiled from my little collection. Also, as I said in another forum, I can use it as a hook to get friends to buy a whisky and then get invited to sample their latest acquisition.

The time factor doesn't really apply, as my friends to the West will concur, since by the time Canada Post has delivered this or any magazine, we're long past anything that was tightly scheduled near the issue date. Cost isn't a factor either as you spend more on one or two bottles than you do for a years' subscription and get nearly as much from the magazine (except perhaps a bit of a buzz, unless you sniff the ink) as you do from the whisky. Hmm, how about "scatch and sniff" whisky cards in each issue...nah!

So, I voted nope.

MP
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:46 pm

I wanted to think carefully about this before posting a reply.

Matt,
as I mentioned on one of your other threads, I am somewhat of a Luddite and do prefer the hardcopy in my hands.
I also find real hardcopies easier to handle, easier to flip through and find what I want to reference and also easier to read IN BED!

I really don't see myself subscribing to read the magazine online.

My own preference is to use things like the forums (or is it forii?) online, but to read the magazine in real-life, real-time and on real paper.

Unbelievably, I think there is also the pschological aspect of feeling that I have something for my money when I can touch it.

I think that Whisky Magazine could benefit from more "services" online, but I don't personally think reading the magazine articles constitues this type of "service".

If you would like further ideas, then I do have a couple and would be happy to share them with you offline.

Speak to you soon,
WhiskyHammer
Deactivated Member

Re: WM Online edition

Postby Frodo » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:59 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote: Hmm, how about "scatch and sniff" whisky cards in each issue...nah!

MP

I like the idea - especially if you could recreate individual whiskies. "This month folks, Aberfeldy 12. Next issue, Tullibardine 10".

I'd go for that! Good suplement to tasting notes...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:00 pm

Now there's an idea that I would consider buying in to!
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:18 am

I honestly enjoy going down to the magazine stand to hunt for the new issue, and get excited to see a new Whisky Magazine cover! And to read on the cover what's inside. Even if it costs more than subscribing and receiving it in the mail.
But online, I enjoy doing searches for bottles and information and reading forums. I wouldn't want to sit uncomfortably in front of a laptop having to read it.
I prefer the physical magazine, having it in my bag to take and read wherever and whenever.
Di Blasi

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:25 am

I love whisky magazine and always wait with trepidation for the next issue. But it does have to be a physical issue, I do not think that I would get the same satisfaction from an on-line version. Firther I reckon that premium content should be made available to current subscribers but if no subscription is paid why not charge for a service.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:09 am

WhiskyHammer wrote:My own preference is to use things like the forums (or is it forii?) online....

Fora. (And Fauna?)
Deactivated Member

Postby pmullin » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:55 pm

Has the idea of providing online access to back issues gone anywhere?

Although I prefer having a paper copy of the magazine, it would be nice to have searchable online access to back issues.

IMHO, it would make sense to include this as part of the standard subscription, or maybe as an "upgrade", priced at $10-$20 per annum over the standard subscription.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:20 pm

being honest, why would i want to pay more to access online what i allready pay for by buying the magazine? usrly it should come with the subscription to the magazine? however, not magazine subcribers should pay a certain amount to access the information that is in the magazines, but i wouldnt charge folk to use the forums.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:34 am

I am not a subscriber, I buy the magazine from my local whisky shop so I don't know if I have a place answering this question, but here is my tuppenneth anyway...

If I were a subscriber I would not expect to pay extra for online access. Please correct me if I am wrong but with the articles already prepared and formatted on computer the costs associated with making these available online should be relatively small. If anything a small annual supplement would be reasonable, especially if back issues are to be available and searchable (or maybe these could be sold as downloadable PDF files.)

However I do think an online only subscription would be a good idea for some users. Like many posters above I personally prefer to have a physical magazine I can take read on the loo but I guess there would be a market for an online subscription, especially for those for whom the postal service means they have to wait longer than most of us for their magazines to arrive.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:23 pm

I agree with many of the postings above.
I'm a subscriber to the magazine already, and really enjoy taking some time out to read the physical copy. The most common places to read this would either be in bed or in the bathroom. I'm not going to take my computer into these places!
As an existing subscriber I don't believe I should be charged again for the pleasure of being able to check the magazine online.
A good idea, already mentioned above, would be to charge online users a subscription, although this should be less than I pay for a hard copy of the magazine.

Look forward to hearing what decision you come to
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:23 pm

Matt I agree with the majority of the opinions above. Also I concnur with the old adage. If it's not broke don't fix it. SMTV was subscriptiom only for a while, now it's not, and maybe that's a good model for you to look at.

As a subscriber I believe I already pay for the service and would not be happy to pay more.

:(
les taylor

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:03 pm

I love buying the magazine, having them stored in my coffee table, although room is running out, gonna have to make more space somewhere. So I'm not sure if I'd buy it online. I like accessing the site free now, and having the magazine to read, but I'm not sure I'd read its entirety online, like I do with the magazine.
Di Blasi

Postby ccrank.freeserve.co.uk » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:35 pm

I have my own special folder in WHSMITH .The excitement ,the anticipation , i look is it there YES!!!! the joy , i buy it , take it to my favourite street cafe and lose myself in another world for an hour or so dont take this away from me please (i dont get out much ,as you may have guessed) Besides what can i read in the bath ,do they make waterproof laptops?
ccrank.freeserve.co.uk

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder