Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Spell checking for the forums

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Spell checking for the forums

Postby Jan » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:39 am

Dear Whisky mag team

As a new, non-english speaker, poster at these forums, I often find it necessary to consult a dictionary to make sure my spelling are correct.

Would it be possible to add a spell checking utillity on these forums ?

Or are this a good idea at all - what does the other non-english forum user think ?

/Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:37 pm

After I read this, I scrolled to the bottom of the page and saw 'Google Spell Check', would this help?

Even as a English speaker I still need to spell-check!!!

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:04 pm

Mr Picky wishes to note that non-native English speakers needn't worry too much about spelling errors; he finds them charming. He only asks that everyone learn the difference between "compliment" and "complement". He wouldn't mind seeing verbs agree with subjects as well, but honestly, he's trying very hard to lie (definitely not "lay") low these days.
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:58 pm

And for those native English speakers who were not paying attention in school, here is the difference:

Mr. Picky's post deserves a compliment for being concise and well-written.

Some believe a good cigar is a complement to a dram of whisky.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:04 pm

As a English speaking person I would also appreciate a spell checker. If I'm not sure about some spelling issue I have to cut and paste the entire reply into my Word program and then check the spelling and then return it to the thread.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Jan » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:26 pm

Paul, I have looked and looked, but can't find any reference to Google spell check on the replypage. Was it one of the ads ?
I do not know if it could helpfull - I'll try to find some info on google, thanks for the tip.

Mr T: Please tell your little friend; thank you for turning a blind eye to our little transgressions - nobody want's to enwoke the wrath of the dreaded mr. P. :lol:

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one thinking a spellchecker could be usefull. Unfortunately I suspect that this could be a little complicated and/or expensive for Whisky mag to provide... I guess you would have to license a dictionary from some publisher, or something similar.

/Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:53 pm

Actually, when I'm not sure of something (Yes! It happens!), I plug it into a blank email and use the spellcheck there. Then I simply delete the email. Very rarely, I write an entire post into an email, then copy-and-paste into the posting space before deleting the email. I do this when I need to make a long post but also need to work offline (dial-up, you see--don't want to tie up the phone), but it could also be done for spelling/editing purposes.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jan » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:12 am

Yeah, I use MS Word for the same purpose. Unfortunately the version I have installed at home, have no English dictionary. I guess I would have to get hold of one.

In the meantime I have to rely on my oldfashioned dictionary, which is probably better for me after all - it should help me learn the correct spelling better, I think, having to work a little bit for it and getting the occasional aha experience.

/Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:21 am

Interesting idea. No spell check at the moment, but it is something we are looking at (especially for the search feature on this site).

However, we need to load it with all the brand names which won't appear in a dictionary.
Matt2

Postby Jan » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:51 am

Hi Matt

Thank you for considering it. :)

/Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:30 am

Laph out loud. Ms Wong, have you seen this?
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:50 am

Jan wrote:Yeah, I use MS Word for the same purpose. Unfortunately the version I have installed at home, have no English dictionary. I guess I would have to get hold of one.

In the meantime I have to rely on my oldfashioned dictionary, which is probably better for me after all - it should help me learn the correct spelling better, I think, having to work a little bit for it and getting the occasional aha experience.

/Jan

I usually just bang ahead and spell things wrong...

Jan, I'd say you could download a free English dictionary for Word... Look at the MS website.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder