Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Live !

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Whisky Live !

Postby St.Peat » Sun Mar 10, 2002 10:23 am

All Whisky Livers --

Tell the Good News right here!

This is your very own Thread for the Dissimination and Dispensation of all Wild and Wonderful Happenings during Whisky Live 2002! Image
St.Peat
Bronze Member

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 11, 2002 9:42 pm

Well I was definitely there.

I just don't remember too much........
Steve

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:08 pm

I remember every moment of the day! It was fantastic, however, I have no idea how I got home!

Congratulations to everybody that helped organise the event. I shall certainly be attending next year. The Materclasses were infomative and entertaining, Jim McEwan is a natural!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 15, 2002 11:21 pm

What a wonderful event ,as a beginner to whisky collecting and drinking I have discovered some 'must haves'.I now want to taste every whisky I buy ,thus making my hobby doubly expensive oops!Never mind.I already have March 7 and 8 in my diary for next year
Deactivated Member

Postby jeremy p » Wed Mar 20, 2002 11:30 pm

I went for the second time this year - absolutely loved it again. Missed the oatcakes, though - can we have them back again next year please?

Once again I and my girlfriend foisted our presence on Mr and Mrs Van Winkle who not only seemed to remember us but, remarkably, seemed quite pleased to see us. Not only are they a great couple, they also acquainted me with the wonderful world of bourbon.

Did anyone else try that mesquite-matured McKendrick's that was available at the The Whisky Exchange stall? Strange, wasn't it?

For me, the find of the day was Connemara. The taste experience of the day was Highland Park 25-year-old which, sadly, I cannot afford to buy!

A great day!
jeremy p

Postby lexkraai » Thu Mar 21, 2002 8:57 am

Hi Jeremy

Yes, I did taste the mesquite-mellowed McKendric. David Stirk came back to the Cadenhead table and gave me his glass. What's this, do you think? Nose full of citrus, oranges. Almost like Cointreau, but in a non-cloying way. Completely baffled (and quite impressed) I had a taste. Coming through the orangey-sweet notes came something resiny, almost like Greek retsina wine. At that point I was utterly lost as to what I was tasting. Turned out to be McKendrick, a bourbon which has had chips of mesquite wood added to it during the maturation process. I did know of the existence of this 'Texas-style' or 'Western-style' whiskey, but had never had the opportunity to taste it. Personally, I like it very much (and it doesn't taste like a bourbon at all, can't compare it to anything I've ever had), but my feeling is that this will be a whiskey that people either love or hate ..... And my father-in-law asked me a few days later whether there was a special whisky I'd like as a birthday present, so a bottle was ordered from TWE!

Cheers, Lex

[This message has been edited by lexkraai (edited 21 March 2002).]
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Steve » Sat Mar 23, 2002 6:32 pm

I mentioned earlier that I couldn't remember too much.

I have just been told that a friend I met later that night told me his wife was pregnant. I didn't remember even that.

Strangely, I do remember how nice the Ardbeg 25yo Lord of the Isles was, plus the 25yo Highland Park. I even remember thinking the Glenlivet 21yo was markedly better than the 18yo. And the Finlaggin (sic?) 8 yo was a bit spirity and unimpressive - you can see why Lagavulin leave it twice as long.

I really must get my priorities right. Or perhaps I already have......
Steve

Postby jeremy p » Wed Apr 03, 2002 7:59 pm

So, Finlaggan is Lagavulin is it? The chap on the stand wouldn't say.

I didn't find it too disappointing - given the price, I would consider buying it for glugging reasons (or is that sacriledge?).

I was particularly pleased, too, with my first taste of Longrow? Can't believe it's never crossed my path before!!
jeremy p

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder