Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

# 51

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

# 51

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:18 pm

Arrived today. Hooray!

Mr Picky sez that guy between Winnie and Joe on page 20 is Harry Truman, not FDR. You can tell because he's standing.
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:25 am

Also, while I love Molly Ivins...the quote attributed to her about taking someone's whisky, screwing their women, etc. is actually from Lyndon Johnson...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:00 am

She's awesome, isn't she? I assumed that they meant that she was quoting someone else. And if LBJ didn't say it, he should have!
Deactivated Member

Postby chill » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:03 pm

You got it right MrTattieHeid.

The first time I'd encountered the quote it was in Molly Ivins' first book ("Molly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She?") and she had introduced it in the context of referring to the Texas state legislature.

In researching this article, I came across one source that attributed the quote to former U.S. House Speaker Sam Rayburn and several sources that attributed it to "anonymous". The majority of sources I encountered attributed it to Molly.

So, here I had all these sources attributing it to Molly Ivins, but Molly herself was chalking it up to being one of those common phrases tossed around the state capital. I just thought the quote was too good (and too much fun) to leave it out, so I couched the sources as "often attributed to political columnist Molly Ivins."
chill

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:16 pm

It's a great quote, and a fine article, Chris. Nice work.
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:21 pm

No problem here, Chris...great article!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby chill » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:36 pm

Many thanks guys. It was fun to research and write, so hopefully people will enjoy reading it.
chill

Glasgow whisky scandal

Postby chill » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:51 pm

I haven't made it through the entire issue, but one article I very much enjoyed so far is Ian Buxton's profile of the book covering the Glasgow whisky scandal of 1872 being republished.

http://www.whiskymag.com/magazine/issue ... e_mix.html

Beyond just the particulars of the case itself, I loved the way he hinted at the double-edge sword that is "heritage". On the one hand, people love the history and tradition associated with whisky and its production. On the other hand, as Buxton points out, everything has changed in the production of whisky.....it's all been modernized. And hey, thank God for that!
chill

Page 20

Postby greengene13 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:41 am

Another clue is the guy in the middle looks like Harry Truman :D
greengene13

Postby rthomson » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:28 am

That pic is of Truman, Churchill, and Stalin at the Potsdam Conference. By their smiles you would think they were buddies who frequently shared a few drams rather than men about to embark upon the Cold War.
rthomson
Silver Member

Replaced issue

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:32 pm

Forum members;
I hadn't received Issue 51 when Issue 52 arrived, so emailed Helen at Galleon.co.uk about it on January 4, 2006. The replacement issue arrived today. I am very impressed with this service and I think illustrates why I choose to subscribe to Whisky magazine. An interesting and thought provoking magazine with truly superb people providing support.
Helen, thank you very much.
Sincerely,

Peter (aka Muskrat Portage)
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder