Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Great Whisky Bars of the World

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Re: Re:

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:51 am

ryguy wrote:
chill wrote:Added my choice for anyone in or visiting Boston, Massachusetts. The historic Parker House Hotel also houses the finest whisky bar in the city......The Last Hurrah.

My previous job used to take me to Boston on a regular basis and once I learned of The Last Hurrah, I never stayed in another hotel.

Thanks to a quick search for a whisky bar on my favorite forum (here of course) :lol: while traveling through Boston last weekend I had a chance to stop at the Omni Parker House Hotel and check out their bar "The Last Hurrah". It was great! They offered an excellent selection of SM's (50+/-) at a great price as well. They also offered 1/2 oz samples at a reduced price so that you could "sample" many different ones without going broke. The Night Manager on duty was very pleasant to talk to and also very knowledgable.

Good thing I was only stopping in for a nightcap, as it was I left about 11 drams later. :smoke:

Great place, nice people, if you're in town check it out!

Yes, the origin of the Parker House roll was at this fine old establishment and the Last Hurrah was frequented by many auspicious authors and statesmen, ...and me. I only had to educate the waiter once on serving fine Single Malts. He asked if I wanted my whisky on the "rocks"

... I gently advised him that it would be more appropriate to present it neat with a bit of water on the side. (I controlled my autonomic urge to throttle) There were no problems with ice for the remainder of my visit. I ensured that I tipped well, to drive home the lesson.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Great Whisky Bars of the World

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:54 pm

martin grant wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:Also in Glasgow there's that old converted church that has concerts, cool place, I forgot what it's called, maybe you've mentioned it here already. And another I don't remember the name of that had a whisky of the week that was very affordable, in a ship-like/sailor atmosphere, a few bars throughout, and seemed like a mostly local crowd.

The old church place will be Oran Mor on the corner of Great Western Road. Another great Glasgow pub, with a huge range of malts behind the bar

I've been trying to think what the name of the second bar you mention is but I can't figure it out for the life of me...
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:08 pm

butephoto wrote:
martin grant wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:Also in Glasgow there's that old converted church that has concerts, cool place, I forgot what it's called, maybe you've mentioned it here already. And another I don't remember the name of that had a whisky of the week that was very affordable, in a ship-like/sailor atmosphere, a few bars throughout, and seemed like a mostly local crowd.

The old church place will be Oran Mor on the corner of Great Western Road. Another great Glasgow pub, with a huge range of malts behind the bar

I've been trying to think what the name of the second bar you mention is but I can't figure it out for the life of me...

I thought it started with a V or something, but I'm gonna find my notes and get back to you on that....
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:29 pm

It's not the Lismore is it?? I can't remember, and my notes don't seem to help either. It was a great whisky bar of the world I remember. :?
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:44 pm

Hang on - it's probably Uisge Beatha. It was the sailor/sea bit that threw me. It's more like a hunting lodge theme. Does this look familiar?

http://www.uisgebeathabar.co.uk
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:57 pm

I wish I could I've been there, looks nice butephoto. But I don't remember the bottles being lined up that way, and it did look more like a ship atmosphere. Keep hunting and let me know when you find it. Lucky you you're right there in the thick of it, great city Glasgow, we really enjoyed it, stayed an extra night actually!!
Di Blasi

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:02 pm

butephoto wrote:Hang on - it's probably Uisge Beatha. It was the sailor/sea bit that threw me. It's more like a hunting lodge theme. Does this look familiar?

I dunno though. There does seem to be some portholes in between the Deer heads.
Willie JJ

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:06 pm

The cask-head portholes?

:P
Deactivated Member

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:09 pm

Yeah those ones :D
Willie JJ

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:09 pm

I will find this bar!

I'm trying to think of bars which have a few actual bars inside...not coming up with a lot...
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:12 pm

Was the other bar near Oran Mor? As in, did you walk to it or was it far from it?
Deactivated Member

Postby hook55 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:33 am

:oops: Just a bit embarrassed about posting this after seeing all the other great bars around the world, but in Manila I have only found a few bars (so far) that have malts. the main one is Hard Rock Cafe, the last time i was there, they were happy to tell me that they have 3 malts available? :x HP 12yo, Macallan 12yo and the other Glenfiddich 18yo. the other bars near HRC only had Glenfiddich 12yo :roll: :headbang:
hook55
Silver Member

Postby mikeymad » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:36 pm

I have to give another vote to a local place:

Noonan's Bar and Grill

Larkspur, CA in Marin County.

I went here again on Friday and they have a nice large selection of Whisky's and Whiskey's and if you venture in to the Tequila's they have way too many.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:43 am

It's far from qualifying right now, but I will make a promise to you all that one day, The Arc will deservedly feature in this category!
Deactivated Member

Postby woodhill » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:53 am

Doesn't sound like it's far off if not there aready.
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:33 pm

Still quite a way to go yet Woodhill.
Deactivated Member

Postby Rob Allanson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:40 pm

butephoto wrote:Hang on - it's probably Uisge Beatha. It was the sailor/sea bit that threw me. It's more like a hunting lodge theme. Does this look familiar?

Ah one of my old haunts. I used to live opposite the Arlington Bar so had the choice of that, the Uisge and the Halt (ah which used to have two bars - not sure about now).
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby laph66 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:20 am

one fantastic whiskybar is la brasserria del camaleonte in italy located at paratico lago d'iseo beutifull place near to milan

over 5000 whisky old and new -500 cognac and 1000 rum
fantastic person the barman he can explane the history of whisky and tasting very good whisky

laph
laph66

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:44 pm

Great tip laph, next time in Italy gotta check it out!
Di Blasi

Postby laph66 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:56 pm

hi let me know when so i give you address and telefone number i i will come with you

http://www.labrasseriedelcamaleonte.it/home.htm

laph
laph66

Postby woodhill » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:31 pm

Now that The Arc has over 100 SM on offer it really must be included on this list!

All those in favour say AYE!
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:34 pm

Oh yes of course it should be!!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:36 pm

No, not yet Woody, but thanks for the thought.

The place still needs plenty of redecoration and some furniture swapping yet.
To be honest it is still something of a scruffy dungeon.

When this is done and when the whisky list gets to at least 150, then I will consider accepting the nomination.
But not yet.
Keith
Deactivated Member

Postby Ryguy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:42 pm

I agree 100%, any pub or bar that has a selection of 100 SM's should certainly be on this list. The Arc is definitely worthy of the praise.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:15 pm

One more thing;
I think I may have you on a technicality here.

I'm sure nominations can only be made by nominees who have personally visited the said establishments! :P
Deactivated Member

Postby Ryguy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:18 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:One more thing;
I think I may have you on a technicality here.

I'm sure nominations can only be made by nominees who have personally visited the said establishments! :P

Ok so you got me there! But just to put this into perspective, any Pub in the area where I am from that has selection of 100 SM's would be considered a SHRINE!! :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Re: Re:

Postby JamesC » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:03 pm

ryguy wrote:
chill wrote:Added my choice for anyone in or visiting Boston, Massachusetts. The historic Parker House Hotel also houses the finest whisky bar in the city......The Last Hurrah.

My previous job used to take me to Boston on a regular basis and once I learned of The Last Hurrah, I never stayed in another hotel.

Thanks to a quick search for a whisky bar on my favorite forum (here of course) :lol: while traveling through Boston last weekend I had a chance to stop at the Omni Parker House Hotel and check out their bar "The Last Hurrah". It was great! They offered an excellent selection of SM's (50+/-) at a great price as well. They also offered 1/2 oz samples at a reduced price so that you could "sample" many different ones without going broke. The Night Manager on duty was very pleasant to talk to and also very knowledgable.

Good thing I was only stopping in for a nightcap, as it was I left about 11 drams later. :smoke:

Great place, nice people, if you're in town check it out!

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I'm in Boxborough at the moment so we'll stop by The Last Hurrah tonight!
JamesC

Postby Ryguy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:48 pm

JamesC, I hope you really enjoyed your time at The Last Hurrah! I'd be really surprised if you didn't though. :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Whiskibar » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:42 pm

As one of the owners of WHISKI Bar in Edinburgh, Scotland, I would like to recommend all members come in for a visit.

We launched WHISKI in May 2007 and fully focus on our malts, we have over 200 Single Malt Whiskies and in addition many blends. We are independent and not directed by any brewery/pubco so can choose anything we want and we have no intention of stopping adding to our list so all suggestions more than welcome.

We are a food led bar aswell so all fresh food prepared to order if you want something to eat with your malt ... we would look forward to meeting you if you paid us a visit.

Anne
Whiskibar

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Hi Anne, and welcome. Your bar sounds like a great place to visit, and hope to whenever I'm in town next. All the best for great success!
Di Blasi

Postby adogranonthepitch » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:25 am

There is a hotel near me that has a whisky collection .. they have old malt whiskies including a Laphroaig bottled in the 1950's/1960's ....
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:25 am

in fact they ahve loads
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby anam cara » Fri May 02, 2008 2:31 pm

i,ve said it before and i,ll say it again - STRATA in queen street in glasgow is great.
anam cara

Postby biglads » Tue May 06, 2008 9:02 pm

Somebody already mentioned the place, but I'm going to say it again.

The Highlander Inn, Craigellachie.
biglads

Postby Di Blasi » Tue May 06, 2008 9:40 pm

biglads wrote:Somebody already mentioned the place, but I'm going to say it again.

The Highlander Inn, Craigellachie.

Yes, it definitely is, well-stocked and great service too. And with a very local and comfortable atmosphere.
Di Blasi

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder