Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Great Whisky Bars of the World

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Re: Great Whisky Bars of the World

Postby Ryguy » Tue May 20, 2008 4:07 pm

ryguy wrote:I'm looking for a either a good whisky bar or a great place to buy scotch in Baltimore MD. I'll be staying in the Inner Harbor, so anything close is would be nice. So far I have found the Birds of a Feather Restaurant & Scotch Bar which looks very interesting. Any other recommendations would be great, thanks.

Any thoughts or suggestions anyone? I'm leaving next week, so I thought I'd ask again. Thanks!!
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue May 20, 2008 4:17 pm

ryguy wrote:
ryguy wrote:I'm looking for a either a good whisky bar or a great place to buy scotch in Baltimore MD. I'll be staying in the Inner Harbor, so anything close is would be nice. So far I have found the Birds of a Feather Restaurant & Scotch Bar which looks very interesting. Any other recommendations would be great, thanks.

Any thoughts or suggestions anyone? I'm leaving next week, so I thought I'd ask again. Thanks!!

I remember someone mentioning another place in Silver Springs area, a drive from Baltimore and you said you'd like to stay close. Maybe Lawschooldrunk can give a few recommendations since he's in the area.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue May 20, 2008 4:17 pm

And have a great trip and time ryguy!!
Di Blasi

Postby Ryguy » Tue May 20, 2008 4:36 pm

Di Blasi wrote:
ryguy wrote:

I remember someone mentioning another place in Silver Springs area, a drive from Baltimore and you said you'd like to stay close. Maybe Lawschooldrunk can give a few recommendations since he's in the area.

Thanks Di Blasi, I did read what LSD had to say about the retail stores in Montgomery County. I'm down there the May 30th, 31st and June 1st, but without a rental car, so that's a bit far. There is a group of 11 of us traveling down to see the Red Sox play the Orioles. It should be a great time!
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue May 20, 2008 5:02 pm

Sounds fun! Do post on your findings...
Di Blasi

Postby anam cara » Wed May 21, 2008 6:09 pm

Could that place in Glasgow that Di Blasi mentioned be the Ubiquitous Chip? Not very nautical but dark wood etc. and various eating and drinking parts to it.
anam cara

Postby Di Blasi » Wed May 21, 2008 6:27 pm

anam cara wrote:Could that place in Glasgow that Di Blasi mentioned be the Ubiquitous Chip? Not very nautical but dark wood etc. and various eating and drinking parts to it.

No, that's not it, but it was down a street or 2 from there, walking distance anyway if I remember correctly.
Di Blasi

Postby bryce_3 » Fri May 23, 2008 6:20 pm

Hands down the best whisky bar I've been to would have to be the Le Bon Bock Cafe in Rome, Italy.
The owner is a pretty serious collector, and I think that the last time I went he had over 300 single malts available to drink, not to mention loads of stuff in display cases to oogle.
While I don't know if I could recommend the haggis there, I would say Le Bon Bock Cafe is the best I've been to.

http://www.lebonbock.com/

B
8)
bryce_3

Postby Di Blasi » Sat May 24, 2008 10:50 pm

bryce_3 wrote:Hands down the best whisky bar I've been to would have to be the Le Bon Bock Cafe in Rome, Italy.
The owner is a pretty serious collector, and I think that the last time I went he had over 300 single malts available to drink, not to mention loads of stuff in display cases to oogle.
While I don't know if I could recommend the haggis there, I would say Le Bon Bock Cafe is the best I've been to.

http://www.lebonbock.com/

B
8)

Thanks for posting the website bryce_3, and welcome to the forums! Great site they've made there, and looks like a great place to visit.
Di Blasi

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri May 30, 2008 5:34 pm

I would've bet good money that the St. Andrews Restaurant here in NYC would've already been listed in this thread, but apparently not.

So allow let me to correct that oversight...

Pretty nice list...
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby sampaiocaleia » Sat May 31, 2008 5:45 pm

I've been last week in Berlin, and I've found a great bar.

VOX in the Hyatt Hotel nearby Sony Plaza!!!!.
Great WhiskyScape!!!
sampaiocaleia
Silver Member

Postby Ryguy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:13 pm

I visited Birds of a Feather Scotch Bar in Baltimore MD on Saturday. It's a really nice place with a quiet and comfortable atmosphere. The bartender was very knowledgeable too. Drams were large, and the prices were very reasonable.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Scotch Chix » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:33 am

I just read through the list, and I am really sad I live in Southern California right now.

I didn't see Keens in NYC on the list. They have over 250 single malt whiskys, and I was recently privileged to sample all four of their tasting flights on a trip to NY. I posted a number of reviews on our site for Keens and the single malt whiskys I sampled (June 11th, 13th, and 14th posts). Here is the URL in general for the Keens review: http://www.scotchchix.com/2008/06/one-could-never-tell-from-restaurant.html.

While researching my trip I uncovered a number of other establishments that are reputed to have extensive collections in NYC: St. Andrews (which has already been mentioned), the Brandy Library, Club Macanudo (cigars too - no sneakers), Lexington Bar and Books (full blown dress code), Hudson Bar and Books, and D.B.A.

Work interfered with play, so I only made it to Keens. I will definitely have to make a return trip.

CA Scotch Chick
http://www.scotchchix.com
The Scotch Chix

Postby Gooner » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:52 pm

so is there a collated list of recommended bars? I cant see it.

I just recommended Rye if San Francisco on 688 Geary St

http://www.zagat.com/Verticals/Property ... 1&R=106130

excellent selection of malts displayed in large shelves behind the bar. I drank A'bunadh and Laga 16, they had laga 12 listed but had run out. Quite cool set deco, dark but with a huge fireplace. DJ playing decent music.
Gooner

Postby Street » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:41 pm

The Grill, Union Street, Aberdeen, UK, would get my vote, their selection is fantastic, reasonably priced, and the atmosphere is very authentic...
Street

Postby Dram fine idea » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:16 pm

I agree with The Street - The Grill, Aberdeen is a great whisky bar. I would add the Bow Bar, Edinburgh and Albannach, Edinburgh. I'm going into the Grill on Saturday for a sample of the Aberlour 15 yo and Cask Strength - to add to the line up for Saturday's tasting.
Dram fine idea
Bronze Member

Postby andyt » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:21 pm

Got to agree with you guys, Aberdeen's finest bar is really world class.
andyt
Silver Member

Postby alecbriggs » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:11 pm

Is it just me or would this publication benefit from the "Indian" detail treatment for all countries?, the telephine number is not a great deal of help if you are travelling and trying to locate a great whisky bar when not even the town gets a mention, never mind the full address. Total waste of the world's resources in it's current format, both the magazine and Macallan marketing departments should be ashamed of themselves.
alecbriggs

Postby Eric m » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:57 am

Feldrin is right with Northend in Leiden,already 275 diffrent whiskies they`ve got now but i certainly would recommand `t Kompas on the Island of Texel in the province North-Holland,who has 5000 whiskies from all over the world ready for anyone to try,it costs you a rib but it is well worth it.Just one advice,don`t go in the summer,just too much tourists.
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:08 pm

Tomorrow I am going to Boisdale in London, UK. It was in the guide that came with isssue 73. Anyone been?
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder