Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Great Whisky Bars of the World

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Postby The Dazzler » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:22 am

Hi There,

in the UK loads of bars/pubs are now run by large brewing groups or pub groups which makes individuality for each bar a bit restiricted. As these bars are owned by larger companies they are restricted to brands they are able to stock/sell/purchase. The Bow Bar in Edinburgh is one of a kind in that sense where they, (the manageress), are able to purchase whisky, (and beer) from whomever they find has good products to meet the needs of the bar and its customers. There are still plenty of bars in UK with this independance however "restriction" it is becoming more and more noticeable when looking along bar selections.

QUESTION IS do other countries suffer this same fate??

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:43 am

Virginia Gentleman wrote:The Royal Mile Pub in Wheaton, Maryland. The food is great. They have a nice whisky selection and on some nights they have live entertainment.

http://www.royalmilepub.com/

The next time I'm visiting my aunt and uncle in Wheaton, I'll definitely have to visit! Glad to know there is another good reason to visit the area! Thanks Virginia Gentleman
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Dazzler » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:09 pm

Found a fantastic pub in County Durham called The Victoria Inn. It stocks around three dozen Irish Whiskies which is more than I have seen anywhere else, (more irish drams in here than scotch). The place is in Hallgarth street and is a typical old ale house with pokey wee corners and interesting props around the place. Rooms upstairs if you cannot find your way home afterwards.

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:33 pm

The Dazzler wrote:Found a fantastic pub in County Durham called The Victoria Inn. It stocks around three dozen Irish Whiskies which is more than I have seen anywhere else, (more irish drams in here than scotch). The place is in Hallgarth street and is a typical old ale house with pokey wee corners and interesting props around the place. Rooms upstairs if you cannot find your way home afterwards.

Slainte

You'd be hard pushed for any off licence (even in Ireland) to stock that many Irish. Fair play to them :)
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:42 am

Hey, good news here in Bergen!
A new whisky bar opening soon here! But please be patient, it may not be perfect when it first opens, but "Whisky Bar" is what we're planning, with a nice selection and service and always growing and improving! Stay tuned, keep you all posted!
Di Blasi

whisky bars

Postby anam cara » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:54 pm

Bars that go outside their "natural" spirits offering should also be encouraged. Strata in Queen St. in Glasgow comes into that category. A trendy bar it still finds time to have a good selection of blends and malts. There are also great bourbons AND Geo. Dickel is sitting there in among the choice of Jacks! 1 or 2 nice Canadians too. Finally, they have over 20 whisky cocktails, classic and modern - get out there and enjoy!
anam cara

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:24 pm

Hey, thanks for that suggestion anam cara, and welcome to the forum!
I'll be in Glasgow the end of next month, hopefully we'll get the chance to check it out.
Di Blasi

whisky bars

Postby anam cara » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:22 pm

thanks for the welcome, Di Blasi. Bergen is a lovely town - just about the cleanest place I've ever been. I hope the whisky is a little cheaper there these days! Sazerac 7 year old rye has just appeared on their back bar. Sazerac cocktails and Manhattans - wow!
anam cara

Postby sku » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:03 pm

Does Anyone know of any great whisky bars in California...or do I have to go to Vegas.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby lbacha » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:34 pm

I just read through the bars listed so far and I'm suprised the Quaich Bar at the Craigellachie Inn wasn't mentioned. The selection there is impressive and when you are done there head to the Highlander Inn to visit anouther great bar and try some of their great selection of Japenese Whisky's.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:23 am

sku wrote:Does Anyone know of any great whisky bars in California...or do I have to go to Vegas.

In San Francisco on Geary leaving Union Square, just hardly a block past Hotel Monaco/Grand Cafe on the same side, left, I found a bar with high ceilings and very open, with shelves behind the bar stocked of some nice whiskies. Too bad I didn't stay, or make it back. In the Mission District, (great laid back place for bars, restaurants, etc), is a place called Range, stocking mostly Bourbon, or maybe only Bourbon. Otherwise, the craze hasn't really caught on there yet, "it's" still an old man drink maybe.
Di Blasi

Postby MGillespie » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:12 am

Len, I think the Quaich Bar was a given... ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:52 pm

MGillespie wrote:Len, I think the Quaich Bar was a given... ;)

Mark

Even being a given, it still needed put on the list. I was a novice once and the first trip I took to scotland didn't include the Quaich bar. I didn't find out about it until a whisky live London I went to.

One thing I have learned is that making assumptions is nothing but trouble.

Just my thoughts.
Len
lbacha
Gold Member

I Know from experience....

Postby Oiler_Kiwi99 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:05 pm

The Dazzler wrote:Hi There,

in the UK loads of bars/pubs are now run by large brewing groups or pub groups which makes individuality for each bar a bit restiricted. As these bars are owned by larger companies they are restricted to brands they are able to stock/sell/purchase. The Bow Bar in Edinburgh is one of a kind in that sense where they, (the manageress), are able to purchase whisky, (and beer) from whomever they find has good products to meet the needs of the bar and its customers. There are still plenty of bars in UK with this independance however "restriction" it is becoming more and more noticeable when looking along bar selections.

QUESTION IS do other countries suffer this same fate??

Slainte

I'm the Cellar Manager of Oran Mor at the top of Byres Rd in Glasgow and have the responsibilty of purchasing the malts for our Whisky Bar. We have over 200 malts although until we get the gantry redesigned some will have to remain locked away. I get to sample new limited editions and new products from a number of suppliers.

Having previously worked for 2 large multiple operators in Scotland where we were restricted to buying Diageos 6 Classic malts (Lagavulin 16, Talisker 10, Glenkinchie 10, Oban 14, Dalwhinnie 15, Cragganmore 12) along with Glenfiddich 12, Highland Park 12, Macallan 10 & Glenmorangie 10 having the freedom I do is a privilege.
Oiler_Kiwi99
Bronze Member

Postby fishboy » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:10 pm

I realise this is probably a bit late, but if you are ever in Dundee there is a great bar called the Speedwell Tavern (locally known as Mennies after a previous owner). It’s quite near the University in the pleasant west end of the city. The address is 165-167 Perth Rd, Dundee, (DD2 1AS) Tel. 01382 667 783. They have 100's of malts from all over Scotland and elsewhere.

Fishboy
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:33 pm

Di Blasi wrote:
sku wrote:Does Anyone know of any great whisky bars in California...or do I have to go to Vegas.

In San Francisco on Geary leaving Union Square, just hardly a block past Hotel Monaco/Grand Cafe on the same side, left, I found a bar with high ceilings and very open, with shelves behind the bar stocked of some nice whiskies. Too bad I didn't stay, or make it back. In the Mission District, (great laid back place for bars, restaurants, etc), is a place called Range, stocking mostly Bourbon, or maybe only Bourbon. Otherwise, the craze hasn't really caught on there yet, "it's" still an old man drink maybe.

SWIG is the one you speak of--Geary and Taylor. I love that place. The prices aren't bad and the bartenders will pour you a giant dram if you tip well.

There are a few other good whisky bars in SF.

For Los Angeles, I would try the bar at the Ritz maybe? L.A. and Orange County are not the best places for quality drinks (I recently moved from OC).
peergynt323
Gold Member

Re: I Know from experience....

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:30 am

[/quote] ("Oiler_Kiwi99 said...")
I'm the Cellar Manager of Oran Mor at the top of Byres Rd in Glasgow and have the responsibilty of purchasing the malts for our Whisky Bar. We have over 200 malts although until we get the gantry redesigned some will have to remain locked away. I get to sample new limited editions and new products from a number of suppliers.
[/quote]

And now I say...
Nice place there Oiler_Kiwi99! We had a walk through back in August, a Monday night, we were tired so we didn't stay, but I did notice the Ardbeg Very Young, along with a few other gems which made me think someone there knew what they were doing. Good work, keep it up, I'll stop in next time!!
Di Blasi

Postby mikeymad » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:52 am

A newer place in San Fransisco that I have not been to yet, but looks very good.

nihon

http://www.nihon-sf.com/

1779 Folsom St
San Francisco, CA 94103

Image[/img]
mikeymad

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:54 am

Yes, wow, I've heard of that place, supposed to have excellent food too! I'll definitely be there next time I'm back in town! Thanks for the link mikeymad!!
Di Blasi

Postby peergynt323 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:13 pm

mikeymad wrote:A newer place in San Fransisco that I have not been to yet, but looks very good.

nihon

http://www.nihon-sf.com/

1779 Folsom St
San Francisco, CA 94103

I also have heard of it. I was initially turned off by the fact that it's reservations only, but I would like to taste some of those highly rated Japanese whiskies....

Cesar in Berkeley has a noteworthy collection and proper spirit glasses as well. Their tapas are excellent and pair well with a good single malt.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:49 pm

lochside hotel in bowmore islay and the pub in port askaig (cant remember its name, and the machrie links next to the air port on islay, those three not only for the selection, but for the atmoshphere - espesially the lochside in bowmore for that.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby gregralls » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:22 pm

mark mentioned monk's in philadelphia, pennyslvania. any other good ones in philly?
gregralls

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:08 am

gregralls wrote:mark mentioned monk's in philadelphia, pennyslvania. any other good ones in philly?

Outside of philly, but I hear that have a great selection (towards Exton, I think, its been 7 years since I lived in Philly, mosty in the art museam area).
The Farmhouse Restaurant
Emmaus, PA
610/967-6225
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:44 pm

peergynt323 wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:

SWIG is the one you speak of--Geary and Taylor. I love that place. The prices aren't bad and the bartenders will pour you a giant dram if you tip well.

There are a few other good whisky bars in SF.

For Los Angeles, I would try the bar at the Ritz maybe? L.A. and Orange County are not the best places for quality drinks (I recently moved from OC).

Thanks for the info peergynt323! Cool name for a bar too, Swig, I like that.
What are the "few other good whisky bars in SF?" Thanks again!
Di Blasi

Re: Best Whisky Bar in the world

Postby mikeymad » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:26 pm

The Whisky Addict wrote:I have just opened what is a tremendous addition to the world's whisky bars. Located 5 minutes from the Las Vegas Strip The Whisky Attic boasts over 500 selections from around the world with a stated goal of reaching 1800 in a few years.
When in town please visit, a dram is a beautiful way to start a friendship.
Adam
whiskyattic.com

Heading to Vegas this weekend (2/23), so I will be making a trip to the Attic to see what it is all about. Will be on the lookout for adding new items for my tasting log.

Will let the group know how it goes.

Vegas babe.....
mikeymad

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:46 am

mikeymad wrote:Will let the group know how it goes.

Vegas babe.....

Yes mikeymad!! "Vegas baby Vegas!!" Have a blast, and do let us know how that place is, I missed it last year.
Di Blasi

Postby martin grant » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:58 pm

fishboy wrote:I realise this is probably a bit late, but if you are ever in Dundee there is a great bar called the Speedwell Tavern (locally known as Mennies after a previous owner). It’s quite near the University in the pleasant west end of the city.

Cheers for the tip Fishboy.
I'll be up in Dundee next week so will stick my head in. Do they serve food as well? If they do, it would make a good stop for lunch

Cheers
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Jobi » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:46 pm

Drrich1965 wrote:...I lived in Philly, mosty in the art museam area).

Out of curiosity, where did you live near the Art Museum? I've got some relatives scattered around that area.
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:41 am

mikeymad wrote:Heading to Vegas this weekend (2/23), so I will be making a trip to the Attic to see what it is all about. Will be on the lookout for adding new items for my tasting log.

Will let the group know how it goes.

Vegas babe.....

I guess I'm too late, but be careful--the last time Lawrence went there, he ended up married.
Deactivated Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:54 pm

If you are ever in Omaha, Nebraska you have to go to the Dundee Dell and check out the great wall of Scotch. This has to be the best selection in America.

http://www.dundeedell.com/

Scott
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby mikeymad » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:55 pm

Well I got back from my Vegas trip. I was able to make it over to the Whisky Attic

It was a pretty cool little place, with a substantial beverage collection. There was about 7 people sitting around two large tables (smoking and drinking beer), and there were board games on the wall for people to play. I started to talk with the person by the bar, and it became apparent that this was not what I thought that it was.

It is a MEMBERS ONLY club. It carries a stiff $200 annual membership fee to be able to sample there. I looked through the collection and they had a pretty good collection. But alas it was not worth the price of admission. If I was local, I might consider it, but I would have to think about it really hard with 200+ bottles at home to work through.

Sorry to disappoint (I know I was).

There might be a place at 'Green Valley Ranch ', but I did not get a chance to check it out.

Cheers
mikeymad

Postby Ganga » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:44 am

Ah man...I was gonna go there for my b-day in April. Guess I'll have to look into Green Valley Ranch.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:44 pm

Virginia Gentleman wrote:If you are ever in Omaha, Nebraska you have to go to the Dundee Dell and check out the great wall of Scotch. This has to be the best selection in America.

http://www.dundeedell.com/

Scott

Yes impressive! Lucky locals. If I'm ever in Omaha, Nebraska, I'll visit for sure.
Di Blasi

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:01 pm

Bump.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby The Dazzler » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:18 am

Anyone ever been to Whiskycafe L&B in Amsterdam??? I recently met the proprieter who seemed a very nice chap, he claims to have over 800 whiskies available!!! Looks like a good night out! Never been to Amsterdam, never felt the need but this sort of cafe sounds quite attractive!

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder