Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

A bird in the hand(Issue 24)

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

A bird in the hand(Issue 24)

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 29, 2002 4:32 pm

Hi all,

Finally a nice article about The Famous Grouse, althoug the info was very well known for some of us, it revealed enough to stay tuned, and kept me focused on the article.
Charly did quite a nice job with his simple, yet very practicle questions to John Ramsay. It shows some figures, but also a nice overall information of the complete range of the Grouse.

I have been there at the Grous' nest during construction, and now I'm looking forward to a visit of the Grouse Experience since it has officially opend.
Maybe there are some people who don't like the Grouse at all, but I'll think that they will change their mind when they visit "The Famous Grouse Experience".
A nice article for advertising promotion, but wouldn't it be nice if you can go deeper in the secrets of the art of blending, maybe some more technical info etc(like the first 3 or 4 Issue's of the Whisky Magazine where Charles MacLean gave a nice lecture about Nosing and Tasting), something similar would be very nice about blending or about malt whisky, just spend some more time at this, I personally think that the novices amongst us will be very pleased with such series of articles, and there's always something more to learn for each of us, I can not believe that there's a member on this forum who knows exactly everything about whisky, I always say you learn each day, and there's always something new to discover.........

Keep it going.

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Ileach » Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:10 pm

Having just been to The Famous Grouse Experience I believe this is the worst tourist trap in the whole of the Scottish Whisky Industry.

True, you cannot expect the intimacy of an Islay distillery here in Perthshire where Distillery-turned-into-Disneyland Glenturret attracts more than 200,000 visitors each year, but I am sure that Towser, the famous distillery cat and world record mouse catcher, would drop right dead (if she hadn't already entered the eternal mouse hunting grounds before) if she saw what the marketing geeks of Edrington have done to her distillery.

You pay a whopping £6 per head for a one hour advertising blitz where you learn, among other things, how they CAD the grouse in the TV ads (how very interesting, but is this really what you want to learn when visiting a distillery?). To shorten the tour, such completely unimportant things as the spirit still or the warehouses are not shown.

Right, Huurman, The Grouse is a good blend, but I would rather say I like it despite going through The Famous Grouse Experience.

[This message has been edited by Ileach (edited 12 August 2002).]
Ileach

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:46 pm

I wasn't impressed with the Famous Grouse centre. For a start you get Grouse instead of Glenturret and it is very tourist-trappy. It isn't nearly as good as Dewar's world of whisky.

However the restaurant is good and the shop is good as well with lots of stuff to buy but I much preferred Glenturret malt and the range of whiskies to buy isn't nearly big enough for a group with such a portfolio.

UDV shops are far better in that respect.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:38 pm

Hi all,

It sounds like, that some people do have some bad experiences on the Grouse Event. After all it's all personal, some like it and some don't. Then you figure for your self, that if they didn't like the Grouse Experience, will they don't drink the Grouse blend any more??
I didn't liked it too at first time that they changed the whole Glenturret Distillery. But it was either doing the Grouse Experience, or close the place, and then we had another "lost distillery", is it that what we want?? Well I know for sure that if they can keep a distillery alive, they will do that, and it doesn't matter how. Ofcourse you can put more money in it, but will it make a business pay?? The distillery does still exist, but will continue to stay alive in the shadow of the Grouse. And maybe we should be thankful that there's still a Glenturret distillery exist, or would you be the all time hero Ileach, or Bruce, to buy the distillery and save it from extinction, to be honest I don't had the money to do so.

But the Issue about my article was, that The Whisky Magazine does get better, compared with the last years, and the fact that I came with the Grouse "thing" was, that the article was quite nice. And I refered to the very very first Issues of Whisky Magazine, and that they where quite good, and that The Whisky Magazine should take more time for making good articles, and educational stuff(on subjects we like), instead of doing arcticles who are actualy are a "filling"for a magazine....

Just keep it going.....

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby ellison » Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:25 am

I quite agree - a very interesting and informative article.

be92@dial.pipex.com
ellison

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder