Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Caramel, etc...

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Caramel, etc...

Postby Oliver » Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:11 am

I tried to e-mail directly, but my letter was returned as undeliverable, so here it is:

Dear Brigid:

I only just got Issue 27 and found your skillful encapsulation of our (heated) internet debate regarding caramel coloring quite amusing. (I should add that I had wanted to italicize my comments instead of using capitals; I hope the inadequacy of my computer did not make me sound too shrill.)

I should add that the Whisky Forum has tremendous potential and no doubt helps Whisky Magazine keep a pulse on the burning issues that keep many whisky drinkers awake at night (take for example Mr. Miller's latest editorial regarding the classification of Single Malt Distilleries which closely echoes previous conversation on the Whisky forum).

In closing, I'll go so far as asking whether you think Macallan colours its malts --are you up to the challenge?

Regards,

Oliver Gloag
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Brigid » Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:16 am

Dear Oliver,

Glad you liked the website coverage.
As far as I am concerned, The Macallan have issued a formal statement to the effect that they don't colour their malts, and I don't really see what else they can say.

Maybe you know a chemist who can test Macallan samples, since it's obviously a question causing forum-users many sleepless nights ... :-)

On a more serious note though - how much does it REALLY matter? I think the debates about the overall quality of the product are more interesting.

Brigid
Brigid

Postby Aidan » Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:29 am

Well said Brigid.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:06 pm

Dear Brigid:

I agree that debates regarding the overall quality of the product are important. However, I think that forthrightness on the part of distlillers on this is issue might be indicative of how they perceive customers and perhaps even of how they perceive their own product (plonk or works of art). In short, it may be ventured that these issues are related.
In closing, for there are other topics, lets not forget that the Macallan still is an excellent malt regardless of this controversy.

Oliver.
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby anna zigure » Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:26 pm

Dear All,
I have a friend who knows instantly if a colour is in a whisky as he gets a red rash (appears) on his skin. I do wish that whisky makers would be honest if they add anything to their jungle juice.
Thanks
Anna Zigure
anna zigure

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:16 pm

I think it is unreal to expect the sort of dedicated enthusiasts who use this forum to overlook any aspect of the wonderful world of whisky.

Indeed, of the thousands and thousands of people worldwide who must subscribe to Whisky Magazine, only a tiny fraction regularly join in the forum,and it seems logical that they must represent the most passionate of whisky lovers, as well as some of the most knowledgeable.

And I submit that they are perfectly entitled to examine what distillers say and do - and to make their thoughts known - on behalf of whisky lovers everywhere - if and when they feel that things are not as they should be.

I think everyone is mature enough to recognise that the enjoyment we get out of drinking whisky is the most important factor. But for most of us, it is an expensive habit, and I for one certainly want to know what I'm getting for my money!

I don't think this forum would have much value, or many users, if it was just used to blindly accept and praise evertyhing the distillers do.

Cheers

Rudolph
Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder