Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

"new posts since last visit page"

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

"new posts since last visit page"

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:27 pm

Argh what MOD did you install Matt...

Each time I visit the forum I have to wade through 14 pages to see what new posts have been made, instead of 1 or so where I cna quickly glimpse what topics have new posts (not that they're always ontopic posts, but it helps!).

It made the forum sort of useless for me. I know I'm just a single guy, but if this stays this way, I'm afraid I wont visit more often. Yes I know I can be missed and don't contribute a lot of posts anyway ;)
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Jan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:56 pm

Well said, Jeroen.

I totally agree - please, please, please bring the "View posts since last visit"
function back to the way is was - this new system makes it much harder to follow the myraid active threads....
Jan
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:59 pm

I agree as well, I normally only have 1-2 pages even if I have been away for a while, yesterday I logged in to find 18 pages of missed posts, too much for me to go through especially when there is a threat with alot of short posts to it, also the posts arn't complete if you do go through them so you have to go to the thread anyways.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:31 am

Wow! What feature is that?? I didn't even know about it, and it sounds great rather than running around searching high and low for a recent post to add something too that is no longer on the home page. Yes, please do advise how to do this you're disccusing, and do bring it back if it's gone and it makes reading and posting easier!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:15 am

Another vote for the old way. I found it a very useful feature before. It would be much appreciated if you could return it Matt and I promise not to make any flippant remarks on any cigar based threads...for a bit anyway...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:33 am

Same here, and I promise not to make any comments about white zinfandel...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Jan » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:18 am

Di Blasi wrote:Wow! What feature is that?? I didn't even know about it, and it sounds great rather than running around searching high and low for a recent post to add something too that is no longer on the home page. Yes, please do advise how to do this you're disccusing, and do bring it back if it's gone and it makes reading and posting easier!!

At the Forum Index, there is three links directly above the upper right corner. The topmost of these used to show a list of the threads with posts since your last visit.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:54 am

You have my vote !
Dubois

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:05 am

Now I'm confuddled. No, I know that's not so difficult to achieve, but ...... I don't understand this either.
I wasn't aware of any change.

When I log in all the discussions which have new posts since my last visit have an orange marker on their left.
I just look into those discussions to see the newest (latest) posts.

Are you telling me I'm missing something?
An alternative way of viewing?

:?:
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:23 am

Like MT I have not experienced this feature. I'm sure its helpful in one way, however there is something to be said for reading back through a thread so that you can read the posts in context which helps for continuity of thought and discussion.

Maybe it's possible to have both.

:)
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:37 am

I have just tried this feature "View posts since last visit" and I have to say that I would find this quite unusable.
I have no idea how it was, so I can't really comment on whether it is an improvement or not, but I want to see new posts in their context, especially as most are immediate replies to what went before.

This just seems to be a list of out of context new posts.

I shall continue to work through the forum as I always have done

But that's one good thing about this technology, we all have different ways of working, none are absolutely right or wrong, we all just have our own preferences of how we like to work.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:15 am

:cry: The old way just displayed topic titles and I found it fairly useless! But I guess the masses want it back so I will put back to the old way...
Matt2

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:20 am

The idea of the feature is to quickly see what topics have new posts IMO. When I need to click through 15 or even more pages I could simply click all the forums open as well IMO.

I had no idea this thread would get this many posts.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:23 am

Matt Page wrote::cry: The old way just displayed topic titles and I found it fairly useless! But I guess the masses want it back so I will put back to the old way...

Aha! Displaying the topic titles so that I can then enter the topic to see the new post in context does seem like a better idea!
:D

Sorry Matt!
:oops:
Deactivated Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:31 am

Ok, back to the way it was :D
Matt2

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:49 am

\o/ Hurray for Matt!

Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:08 pm

Jan wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:Wow! What feature is that?? I didn't even know about it, and it sounds great rather than running around searching high and low for a recent post to add something too that is no longer on the home page. Yes, please do advise how to do this you're disccusing, and do bring it back if it's gone and it makes reading and posting easier!!

At the Forum Index, there is three links directly above the upper right corner. The topmost of these used to show a list of the threads with posts since your last visit.

Thanks Jan, I never noticed, but it does seem really helpful. Thanks to Matt and everyone!
Di Blasi

Postby lbacha » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:55 pm

Matt

Change is good and I'm glad you were trying to make things better, keep it up, that is the nice thing about this forum you are quick to find out what people think about the changes you make. I still think the idea has some merit, maybe as a separate link though, I may check that link more often then and it will be a good way to see what has been posted, My only problem is when you are away for a while the old method is better because you have less to sift through. This is only the case because this is such a popular forum with alot of posts.

Keep up the good work

Thanks Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:42 pm

Thanks, Matt...we'll try to behave better, too! :)
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:39 pm

I also like it better this way. The problem with the old one was

1) Posts you're looking for get mixed up in frequent runs on the Word Association thread and other high volume threads.
2) Quotes appear at the top of the post, so often you'll get a portion of the quote rather than a preview of the post.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:48 pm

I put all of my posts into a tulip-shaped glass and warm them by hand. I rarely add water, even for cask-strength posts. But whatever works for you is fine by me, and I'm very glad that there are more options available than ever. And Matt, your responsiveness is highly commendable. I do hereby commend it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jan » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:51 pm

Thanks Matt! :D

Could you not just offer both options - two links perhaps?
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:28 am

Been gone on 'walkabout' for a few days (I've been home almost 24 hours, but haven't visited the site till now for exactly this reason), but also had been discombobulated by the new 'feature' -- glad to see I wasn't the only one! And thanks, Matt, for returning to the old functionality.
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:14 pm

Cheers Matt. Thanks for responding so quickly. I find it much better this way. I can see which threads have new posts but I can select which ones interest me.

Thanks though for continuously trying to improve things. Your efforts are much appreciated.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:50 pm

Phew..... and theres me thinking no one uses that page so I will play around with it :oops:

I will add a new page which shows all the new posts in full rather than just topic titles, but I will leave the existing page alone.
Matt2

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:55 pm

Matt Page wrote:Phew..... and theres me thinking no one uses that page so I will play around with it :oops:

The "new posts since last visit" page is actually always the page I bookmark for all my forums, phpBB or not (as long as the feature is there ;))

Especially for forums like this one with hightraffic its essential for me really. Otherwise it would simply cost me way to much time.

Thanks again for restoring it :o) And I had no idea so many others felt the same =) I was really suprised noone else mentioned it beofre me. I only visit this forum once a week or so these days, and initially actually thought something was wrong. But then thought it must be a MOD of some kind :)

Good weekend all.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder