Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Shiny new subscriber

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Shiny new subscriber

Postby CJ » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:29 am

Eagerly awaiting my first issue of Whisky Magazine [issue 30] to share with my fellow club members. We have recently set up a malt whisky club in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. The only snag to this wonderful concept is the lack of whisky available locally. Currently we have the choice of Glenfiddich 12 yrs or Glenfiddich 12 yrs! Can you believe it?

Thankfully we have a few regular travellers in our midst and have successfully tasted [nay, appreciated] over 30 different single malts.

I would like to hear from anyone else who has set up a similar club. Good times, bad times etc...

CJ
CJ

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:47 am

CJ - congrats on the club. Our group has taken it's fledgling steps with a meeting last month - we eagerly await our first tasting next week and are in the process of registering as a society. We have had few stumbles and as much as there were concerns, I believe we accomplished a great deal at our first meeting considering the crowd and the fact that we broke the seal on an amazing bottle before we got down to business; a special thanks to the 25-year old Highland Park that sacrificed itself so that we could carry on…

While we don't have the supply limits you mentioned - we do have a government monopoly on liquor distribution to contend with in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Our neighbouring province (Alberta - just a hop skip and a jump over the Rocky Mountains) however offers price savings of 30 ~ 50%...

We are exploring our options for importing - either as individuals or as a registered society.

We are also keen to affiliate with like-minded, sottish Scottish Whisky nuts from around the world. I look forward to hearing how your club progresses and will endeavour to share our experiences with you. (Seeing as we are practically neighbours - separated by a bit of water called the Pacific - but brought together by a more powerful bit of water: Uisge Beatha.)

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder