Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Issue # 64 has arrived

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Issue # 64 has arrived

Postby les taylor » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:20 pm

Issue 64 has arrived the July issue on June the 1st. That is good going Rob thanks very much.

:thumbsup:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:43 pm

:shock: We haven't even got our office copies yet. You must have been one of the very first people to see it.

Hope you enjoy it :coffee:
Matt2

Postby les taylor » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:38 pm

Hi Matt I thought you might like to see the front cover. It looks a good one.

Les.

les taylor

Postby martin grant » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:53 pm

Just back from work, and I'm lucky enough to find issue 64 waiting for me!!
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby r900p » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:50 pm

I got mine too, the first ever issue i've been home to collect, others have been sent down to uni.

Haven't tried the cocktails yet, but planning on doing, however i only have a chivas regal 21 yr old not 12. The monkey shouilder sounds good anyone tried it?

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Feldrin » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:59 pm

Aye got a bottle of Monkey Shoulder open over here.

It's a fine dram, probably something I'd serve to people who aren't used to whisky as it feels very accessible but still offers a nice amount of complexity and a good long finish. Quite sweet, fruity in the nose. I believe I remember some subtle maltiness in the taste combined with oak. Overall very nice but...well, for me it doesn't cross that boundary. It stays at very nice.

Murray gave it a 93, which I think is too high. I'd never turn down a dram of Monkey Shoulder, but I'd rather have something that is a bit more aggressive. I haven't had a lot of drams out of it yet but I think it might turn out a bit boring after a while. Only time will tell though, perhaps it'll develop more complexity while my nosing equipment develops more as well.

Edit: Right, I'm probably wrong with the boring thing. It stays great. Had some of it this evening and I just can't get me to find something I don't like. Its just that there are other, more adventurous and longer lasting characters.
Feldrin

Postby Barry » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:41 pm

I just bought my copy of issue #64 at Borders Books in Leeds.

On a coincidental note. I walked past one of the 'trendy' shoe shops in the Victoria Quarter in Leeds, and there in the window display of shoes, boots and belts, was a bottle of Monkey Shoulder!

Barry
Barry

Postby Quaichuser » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:07 am

You folks over there have all the luck. Those of us on this side of the pond are still patiently waiting for #63 to arrive. :?
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:17 am

Quaichuser wrote:You folks over there have all the luck. Those of us on this side of the pond are still patiently waiting for #63 to arrive. :?

Quite. But not so patiently!

:evil:

:D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:09 pm

I would reckon mine will arrive early next week... looking forward to it...
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:51 pm

Woooohoooo! Just happened to see it on the homepage last night! I'm gonna have to check at the shop tomorrow if they've gotten it yet!
Di Blasi

Postby l'chaim » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:32 pm

Quaichuser wrote:You folks over there have all the luck. Those of us on this side of the pond are still patiently waiting for #63 to arrive. :?

A copy of issue 63 was in my mailbox on Saturday. :D
l'chaim

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:20 pm

Better late than never!!
Di Blasi

Postby l'chaim » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:37 am

Absolutely! I receive many publications (mostly tech), but this is the only one I read cover to cover.
l'chaim

Postby Quaichuser » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:55 am

l'chaim wrote:

A copy of issue 63 was in my mailbox on Saturday. :D

You must have brought me luck.

The spirits have smiled on me. :)

My issue 63 arrived Friday.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

can't win lately...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:30 am

Yours arrived Friday, Issue 64 is out already. This is so very, very, wrong on so many different levels. I blame Canada Post myself. It takes them over a week to deliver a letter across town but overnight for one going to a town 200 km away.

Arrrrrrrgggh!
:x :x :x Image

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Issue # 64 has arrived

Postby Mr Ellen » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:27 pm

les taylor wrote:Issue 64 has arrived the July issue on June the 1st. That is good going Rob thanks very much.

This is so annoying!! Can someone please explain why it should take 3 weeks or more to deliver Whisky Magazine from U.K. to Sweden?
And as a subscriber to the magazine I EXPECT to have the magazine before it hits the stores. Issue 64 is now available in shops all over Sweden but have I received my copy?
The answer is of course...No!
Can someone at WM please explain this phenomenon because I simply can't understand it?!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Count your blessings. I'm on my way out to look for #63 at the newsstand--it should be here by now.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:03 pm

We here in Ireland get the Brittish daily papers on the same morning they are availabale in the UK but I have yet to recieve my issue also .... :(

But I actually don't mind too much as the mag is not really available over here anyway ....
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:19 pm

Did I miss something or has nobody congratulated Nick and Sion for being published in issue 64 on the Inovation Game ..... if I've not reckonised the other contributors as forum members I do appologise....

A big Welldone guys

Image Image Image Image Image
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby bamber » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:08 pm

Thanks Adrian - was looking to see if yours was there - sorry it did not get in :( Guess they just wanted short answers.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Fruedian slip?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:13 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:We here in Ireland get the Brittish daily papers on the same morning they are availabale in the UK ....

Availa -BALE is that some subtle shot against the sasenach? :)
Musky
P.S.: Nick and Sion, I'll congratulate you once my copy arrives next month.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Fruedian slip?

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:32 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:
irishwhiskeychaser wrote:We here in Ireland get the Brittish daily papers on the same morning they are availabale in the UK ....

Availa -BALE is that some subtle shot against the sasenach? :)
Musky

:oops: :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby martin grant » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:50 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Did I miss something or has nobody congratulated Nick and Sion for being published in issue 64 on the Inovation Game ..... if I've not reckonised the other contributors as forum members I do appologise....

I can take off my Sherlock Holmes style deerstalker, and say congratulations also to adogranonthepitch, Killerwhale, Leither and Musky.

Well done guys!

martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Rob Allanson » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:10 pm

martin grant wrote:
irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Did I miss something or has nobody congratulated Nick and Sion for being published in issue 64 on the Inovation Game ..... if I've not reckonised the other contributors as forum members I do appologise....

I can take off my Sherlock Holmes style deerstalker, and say congratulations also to adogranonthepitch, Killerwhale, Leither and Musky.

Well done guys!

Watch out for another topic coming up very shortly for WM65..... 8)
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:15 pm

Mine arrived today ... looks like a good Issue with plenty of diversity... good job guys :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Mr Ellen » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:17 am

Still waiting here in Sweden for my issue 64 to arrive although the magazine has been available in shops for 10 days now!!!!!
I still haven't been given an explanation to this phenomenon - how can the magazine arrive at every shop in Sweden in time but my subscribtion not?
Really annoying!!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Cheers

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:40 am

Maybe the mail boat is just slower :wink: :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Wallace » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:01 pm

Hi,

I live in Denmark and it always takes at least 3-4 weeks before the magazine arrives. Some time ago I received a magazine after two months :shock:

I think, that it's ridiculous, that it normally takes 3-4 weeks before the magazine arrives at my doorstep. I sometimes wonder, what the magazine could tell me about it's travel, if it could speak :wink:

I would like to have a comment from Whisky Magazine, and I would like to know, if they are planning to do something about the silly delivery-situation.

Kind regards,
Bjarne
Wallace

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:57 am

Hi Wallace..... I must admit I'm impressed ... A forum member for over 4 years and only 3 posts. I'm not being smart as it is obvious that you still pop in here every so often and that has to be commended after 4 years. And the fact that your a whisky mag subscriber would lead me to think your a reader more than a talker. Well nice to meet your acquaintance and I hope you get your mag soon.

However this brings me to something interesting that has sprung to mind.

We here have a habit of complaining about the slow delivery of the mag but one look at the mag will tell me it's the July issue so we are all getting it early. :!: :!: :!:

So what we really should be complaining about is why all the UK guys are getting it a month early :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously i know all the UK guys are getting the mag early but can we really complain when the July issue arrives late June or early July.

:headbang:

Just a thought.

I suppose it is easy to complain ..... and I am guilty as anyone of this traith.

BUT......

I do have a complaint for this mag issue ...

I have read the whole mag in a day ... :shock:

why !!! ... because I really enjoyed nearly every article without fault.

So I congratulate the Whisky Mag team for a great issue.

Thanks guys ... keep up the good work.
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Matt2 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:23 am

Mr Ellen wrote:I still haven't been given an explanation to this phenomenon

Hi Mr Ellen, who did you talk to about this ?
Matt2

Postby les taylor » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:35 am

Just my two pennyworth. The complaints all come from abroad about a magazine that is written and produced in England.

Now if for instance I wanted to subscribe to a magazine produced in either Denmark or the U.S. Would I get it as quick as the subscribers living in the home market. Probably not nor would I expect to.

Is there a Whisky magazine produced in other countries? If so is it any good?

The answer to those questions probably tells a tale in itself.

:|
les taylor

Postby Mr Ellen » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:54 am

les taylor wrote:Just my two pennyworth. The complaints all come from abroad about a magazine that is written and produced in England.

Now if for instance I wanted to subscribe to a magazine produced in either Denmark or the U.S. Would I get it as quick as the subscribers living in the home market. Probably not nor would I expect to.

Is there a Whisky magazine produced in other countries? If so is it any good?

The answer to those questions probably tells a tale in itself.

:|

Now, this is just plain and weird nonsense. I have subscribed to several magazines from other countries and they have always arrived in good time and ALWAYS before they've been available in shops in my own country.
And I do accept to have the magazine later than my fellows in the magazine producing country (don't know where WM is printed though) but a delay of one month is just not acceptable in any way.

Matt Page wrote:Hi Mr Ellen, who did you talk to about this ?

Matt, I have on several occasions mailed to subs@whiskymag.com, office@whiskymag.com, publishing@paragraph.co.uk & damian@whiskymag.com and I have been answered by a Helen Slater who regrets the delay and telling me it must have come astray in the mailprocedure - 3 times????? Wouldn't think so!

I also received an answer from Damian Riley-Smith who promised to forward my E-mail to the subs-department. So far nothing has improved.
And I am still waiting for my #64 to arrive.
In these modern times where everything happens overnight I am really surprised that WM can't use a way of delivering the magazine adapted to the requirements of their devoted fans.

I am eagerly awaiting your reply (and my guess is, several others are too)

Kindest regards...

Postby Matt2 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:11 pm

Hi,

I've checked up and all magazines have been dispatched. One thing we do not have any control over is local postal services. Probably sitting in a sorting office somewhere or at the bottom of the postmans bag.

Had these problems before with postal services but there is little we can do really. Here in the UK we have another postal strike :headbang:

Hope it turns up soon or we will get another one sent out to you....

I am really surprised that WM can't use a way of delivering the magazine adapted to the requirements of their devoted fans

Well if you want to triple the subs price we could probably send it by courier / recorded delivery etc. But to keep the costs down for readers we have to use local postal services.

Matt
Matt2

Postby Mr Ellen » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:49 pm

Matt Page wrote:
I am really surprised that WM can't use a way of delivering the magazine adapted to the requirements of their devoted fans

Well if you want to triple the subs price we could probably send it by courier / recorded delivery etc. But to keep the costs down for readers we have to use local postal services.

Matt

In that case I must ask what kind of transportation you use? 4 weeks or more from Edinburgh to Stockholm, Sweden. A distance of 1300 km. And don't blame it on the local post. I always get my mail 1-2 days after it's been sent.
And if you can see that all the magazines have been dispatched, I am quite sure that you can also see WHEN they've been dispatched. I would be very interested to know that.
Besides, when I'm in Scotland and mail something to Sweden, I am told it arrives within a few days. How come the magazine doesn't??? And no, I don't use priority mail for this.
Furthermore, don't you require from your distributors that the magazine should be at the subscriber within a limited amount of days..?

I would be utterly concerned if I received several complaints regarding these extremely long delivery times but from your response I can't read that you're taking it seriously enough.

I am eagerly awaiting an improvement in this matter.

Kindest regards

Next

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder