Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

WHISKY MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

WHISKY MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:50 am

I'm confused. The latest issue of Whisky Magazine urges me to take out an 8 issue year's subscription for £34, thereby saving 19%. Fair enough.

But I today bought Issue 64 for the £4.25 cover price from W H Smith. Unless my maths is way out, 8 x £4.25 = £34.

So, where does the saving come from please?
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:20 am

I think you get a couple of isseus free. So it's ten issues for the price of eight. I could be wrong though, or I could be right.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:30 am

You'll get two issues free if you take out a two year subscription but other than that, hee-haw.
In fairness you do get it delivered to your door pretty soon after it's published, and way before our friends world wide can get their hands on it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:05 pm

Crieftan wrote:In fairness you do get it delivered to your door pretty soon after it's published, and way before our friends world wide can get their hands on it.

I wish that was correct.
So far I've seen the magazines in shops all over Sweden before it hits my doormat. I've been mailing the subsription dept. regarding this a few times but so far nothing has improved. I still haven't received issue 64 and expect it to be available in local shops anyday now. I guess my issue will arrive a few weeks after that.
After all, U.K. is 1½ hours away by air.... :roll:

Cheers

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:38 pm

There are two free issues if you buy a 2 year subscription.

But I'm talking about a 1 year subscription at £34, which claims to be a 19% discount off the normal price. But it isn't!

Even delivered to the door, Whisky Magazine should be able to offer a discount off cover price. OK, there's a bit of P&P. But there's no retailer's cut.

I've often seen Whisky Mag in store before it hits my doormat. And it's no hardship to pop into store 8 times a year and buy it.

So, no sub. for me. Make it worthwhile and I'll reconsider.
Deactivated Member

Postby Matt2 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:37 am

Hi all,

The actual line says ....
Save up to 19% on the standard UK subscription rate of £42.00

:o And yes like most other magazines, we do charge postage / handling on subscriptions (£1 per issue), you can't expect it delivered to your door for free. (No retailer cut, but a subs agent cut, renewal letters, packaging costs, and more..)

But with this great offer you do actually get it delivered for free!!!

:thumbsup: If you want to guarantee your issue then subscribe, or take your chance finding an issue in a shop.

Matt
Matt2

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:41 pm

Matt

Thanks for the clarification.

I'd let my subscription lapse and was going to renew, under the impression that I'd be saving money off the actual cover price.

As it seems not, I'll just buy every issue as it comes out. Luckily, there's no problem with availability where I live.
Deactivated Member

Postby RufusA » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:24 pm

Matt Page wrote:Hi all,

The actual line says ....
Save up to 19% on the standard UK subscription rate of £42.00

:o And yes like most other magazines, we do charge postage / handling on subscriptions (£1 per issue), you can't expect it delivered to your door for free...

Matt

To add to this a few other questions:

1) how would you take out a "standard UK subscription" as I've only ever seen it available for £34, and 3rd parties reselling the subscription show a saving of 0% off the "usual price". Personally I'd like to see it showing as a full priced subscription with free postage, rather than an implied discount from the cover price which is at best confusing and could be argued as misleading.

2) Why does buying the current issue online cost £5.95 + £1.03 postage?

3) Why is the USA subscription so much cheaper - £24ish including delivery to the states, vs £34ish in the UK is this just down to the strength of the pound?

4) There was an offer emailed to WL attendees offering cheaper subscriptions - is this still available (as I've lost my letter)?

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:30 pm

RufusA wrote:1) how would you take out a "standard UK subscription" as I've only ever seen it available for £34, and 3rd parties reselling the subscription show a saving of 0% off the "usual price". Personally I'd like to see it showing as a full priced subscription with free postage, rather than an implied discount from the cover price which is at best confusing and could be argued as misleading.

Where have you seen a third party reselling subs? We don't have much control over that but the message should always be the same... We could call it 'Free Postage' or 'Save 19%' - end result is the same price...

RufusA wrote:2) Why does buying the current issue online cost £5.95 + £1.03 postage?

All single issues and back issues sold on the web site are priced at £5.95, due to storage and extra costs involved. For the best price - subscribe, next best buy a copy from a newstand, and thirdly from the web site.

RufusA wrote:3) Why is the USA subscription so much cheaper - £24ish including delivery to the states, vs £34ish in the UK is this just down to the strength of the pound?

A very strong Pound against the Dollar and postage in the US is considerably cheaper.

RufusA wrote:4) There was an offer emailed to WL attendees offering cheaper subscriptions - is this still available (as I've lost my letter)?

Sorry, but you would need your letter, and there was probably time a limit on it - there will be another offer at WL Glasgow.

:thumbsup:
Matt2

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder