Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

MAGAZINE LIKES & DISLIKES

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

MAGAZINE LIKES & DISLIKES

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:53 pm

Whisky Magazine is excellent. I never miss a copy and it's my bible.

But I'm only human, so there's inevitably bits that I love and articles that 'leave me cold'.

My views are below.

SUPERB
---------

Whisky News (what it's all about!)
Articles/Spotlights/Issues - Distilleries, Personalities, Science of Whisky, etc (fabulous)
Whisky Questions (really intriguing)
New Release Tasting Notes (tremendous - more - but tighten up the price guide)

GOOD
-------

From the editor (usually both pertinent & humourous)
A dram with Dave Broom (good value)
Letters to the Editor (interesting - would like more)
Round table (intriguing to learn of a variety of opinions)
Travel Retail (usually very good. Some outlets a bit off the beaten track)
Bottle Collection (blasts from the past)

OK
---

Musings with Michael Jackson (often lives off his reputation - rambling)

BORING
----------

Whisky Music (tenuous links - largely irrelevant)
Whisky & Food (dull)
Whisky Literature (often a struggle)
Cocktails (yawns and goes to make coffee)

What are your thoughts on the mag ?
Deactivated Member

Postby r900p » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:05 pm

As soon as i get i read the news then walk away. I come back later and read the whole thing.

The cocktails bit i like, but i guess being away at uni its the done thing.

I too find the music bit boring. The tasting part to me is complicated. I'm relatively new to whisky and i'd like to see more on how to taste. Perhaps this has been done, in which case can someone point me in the direction of the relevant issue.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:17 pm

Nice idea eelbrook I like all the things you like. Plus the features on distilleries and regions.

The things that do my head in, are the features on whisky and music. I try to read it. After I have read a paragraph or two I think what am I reading this for. I would rather read the classified ads at the back. More interesting. The features on whisky litreature I'm okay with. I enjoy reading them and they do point you in the way of books you might want to read.

Features I love are John Rose's collectors corner and The New releases.

I Used to subscribe to F1 Racing and it got boring I have Issue 1 from March 1996 to about the end of 2005. I want to sell them now.

As for whisky mag. I now have collected all the back issues. I subscribe to it. I look forward to a new issue dropping on the mat. Between issues I have always read it from cover to cover. Whilst waiting for the new one to arrive I read the back issues.

:thumbsup:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

NEW RELEASE TASTING NOTES

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:46 pm

With these, I'd like the price indicators to go up in £10 increments. Saying that something's between £40 and £70 is too vague.
Deactivated Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:38 pm

8) Great post eelbrook, the straight forward comments and input we like.

I'm with you all on the music bit, but there are posts on this forum saying how much they enjoyed it. Kind of a stretch to continually link whisky to music.

As for food and cocktails thats an area which really interests me, and I have a feeling it is a fixed feature now. Just give it a go and try a few cocktails (although you may need a host of other ingredients).

Going back to the basics of whisky, production etc is a problem. Should we repeat the same subjects again, and how often.... long time subscribers would feel like they only get 1/2 a magazine. This is where the web site will hopefully step in, for now you can have a read of the Nosing and Tasting Course, but its on the cards to expand content on the web site for subscribers.

Yep, price guide is shot to bits I think. Too many appearing in the top group and somewhat complex bands. Had to add a line to the web site explaining. Mac 50 y/o £70+ :roll:

I think over the next few issues you may see some subtle changes coming in so this is a good time to make your views known.

If you are looking for back issues the archive is fairly complete now, you only get to read the first 200 words but useful as an index.
http://www.whiskymag.com/magazine/
http://www.whiskymag.com/magazine/categ ... sting.html
Matt2

Postby les taylor » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:00 am

Thanks Matt it's good to hear your input. I'm sure we are all looking forward with anticipation to the new ideas that might be forthcoming.

:)
les taylor

Postby Jan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:36 am

Good thread Eelbrook - I quite agree in your assesment of topics.

One thing I miss, is more "anorak" articles - covering various subjects of whisky in depth.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Iain » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:05 am

Might have some very minor quibbles re placings in the good/superb/ok categories, but must agree with Eelbrook re the boring bits. Whisky and food/music/literature have become rather desperate attempts to find something - anything! - new or relevant to link one with t'other.

And I'm not interested in whisky cocktails (but I appreciate other folks might like them and be interested).

News is a bit difficult in a mag which only appears once every month or so, long after events have been reported in the press or on tv (and on the web, too). I'd love to see more news analysis - in the same ways that Sunday papers, or mags like Time/The Spectator/Economist etc analyse and reflect on the events of the previous week or month (but it doesn't have to be deadly serious of course!).

Dave Broom sometimes provides that in his column, but a thoughtful overview/review of recent events and trends in the whisky industry would make for an excellent regular feature?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Rob Allanson » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:06 am

Hey gang,

Thanks for this, its always good to hear what you are looking for in the mag.
Things are afoot here at Whisky Towers - more about this at a later date - but I will be taking all your views in to the melting pot.

In defence of Literature and music - Jefferson has always had a strong link to whisky in the books he choses, and ok I take your views about music, however both features provide a width to the coverage of whisky in the mag.
Is there anything not in the mag you would like to see - don't go too off the wall now....
Its that fine balance of trying to create something for everyone - anoraks and beginners.
Please feel free to keep adding your thoughts please. :thumbsup:
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:37 am

Funny I was just thinking about this lately....

So I just want to throw my 2cents in also and something along the lines of the others ......

I pretty much want more of the anorak stuff too but I understand that too much will alienate some people also.... I think the trick is getting the right balance .... the isituation in regards to Whisky & Music, Whisky & Food and Cocktails bore me a bit also.... I would find it a bit dissappointing if all 3 of the above topics to all feature in the same issue as I start to get the feeling that there is too much padding and not enough substance to the mag...

Cocktails for me is the worst ... maybe I'm wrong but this I would of imagined is a very limited market but it seems to be getting alot of attention of late .... point being was the last poll in the forums about cocktails. There were only 4 votes in total and 6 replies to the topic which does not imply much interest from your whisky mad forum members :roll:

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6191

In issue 56 we had a 4 page spread on cocktails. In issues 57-62 we've had 1page on cocktails in each, appears to be nothing in issue 63 but seems (and I have not recieved it yet) there is another feature in 64. Sorry Cocktail over load for me :? I think I'll try another poll and see what happens.

The food articles are not as bad as cocktails but sometimes they come across only as glorified adverts for certian malts/blends..

I enjoy articles that just pop up out of no where ... like Ian Buxtons article in issue 61 on whisky quotes ... great change but something that would lose it's appeal if it was in evey issue... that's the point try and keep it fresh ....

The Lost but not forgotten series is a typical run of articles that I would imagine what people want ...... :thumbsup:

Now I don't want to appear overly negative as in general I have enjoyed some of these topics too but would like to see them less often maybe ....

Maybe rotate these so over every third or fourth issue ... music seems to have dissapeared since cocktails took over :roll:

Hope this comes does not come across as too negative but just saying it as I see it.

Sláinte Adrian
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:20 pm

I have decided to set up another poll just to see if people have the same dislike for Cocktails as I have :lol:

see

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93964#93964
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Rob Allanson » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:39 pm

I just want to clear something up on the cocktail issue here. 57-62 was a regular one page series on cocktails which has now run its course.
Issue 64 is our 'cocktail' edition, just like 65 will be our USA focused edition.
Its sort of a little theme we try to have in each edition - whether its a country, awards, cocktails or blending.
So I cannot promise no more cocktails again until next year, but they will not feature as prominently as in WM64.
Hope that clears things up.
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby les taylor » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:51 pm

Rob Allanson wrote:I just want to clear something up on the cocktail issue here. 57-62 was a regular one page series on cocktails which has now run its course.
Issue 64 is our 'cocktail' edition, just like 65 will be our USA focused edition.
Its sort of a little theme we try to have in each edition - whether its a country, awards, cocktails or blending.
So I cannot promise no more cocktails again until next year, but they will not feature as prominently as in WM64.
Hope that clears things up.

Rob lets have a Manhattan to celebrate. :wink:
les taylor

Postby Rob Allanson » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:55 pm

Or a Mint Julip :o
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:01 pm

I love the food and whisky pairings/dinners articles, and thinks it's a necessary part of the magazine. The news is also what I look forward to reading, even though it's possible to get tidbits here and there, it makes it official when you read it in Whisky Magazine! The music article is usually interesting, as is the book/author article, although I have yet to buy any suggested author/book or cd, but I've wanted to. I like the variety in the magazine, as long as it focuses on whisky, distilleries, people involved etc. But that doesn't mean I would enjoy it still if the magazine started to stray from it's focus, WHISKY, like some magazines do that say they have a focus, then it's everything to do with, rather than actually the topic! Sure, some fine-tuning is always necessary! Oh, and I do enjoy how we have the chance to voice our official opinions on certain topics, that should continue and broaden, with voices heard from all involved in the passion of whisky!!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:29 pm

I'm afraid I disagree about the whisky and food. In my experience, whisky and food do not go together well. Food needs drinks that are quaffable like wine or beer. The delicate flavours of whisky are imaired by food - effectively turning it into a spirity firewater. Meanwhile, food seldom seems to be enhanced by the whisky. The only example I can think of is using the whisky as an ingredient in cream based puddings.

I value the whisky tasting notes. I could find some of the news stories interesting, but the stories just seem to be more of the same from the usual suspects. Smaller, more intersting distilleries just don't get a look in. Perhaps that's a case of the Magazine waiting for press releases rather than going out and hunting for stories.
Deactivated Member

Postby ccrank.freeserve.co.uk » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:55 pm

Totally agree with eelbrook Tended to have ignored the cocktail articles and would like to see more readers letters .Have loved the features on the lost distilleries.
ccrank.freeserve.co.uk

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:57 pm

I'd like lots more on what new whiskies are out there, what they'll taste like, what they'll cost, and where can I get them from.
Deactivated Member

Postby Matt2 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:56 pm

Nick Brown wrote:In my experience, whisky and food do not go together well. Food needs drinks that are quaffable like wine or beer. The delicate flavours of whisky are imaired by food - effectively turning it into a spirity firewater.

Nick, this is what we are trying to educate people about. Whisky can go very well with a meal but takes a lot more thought than a wine or beer. You can probably quaf any old beer or wine with any meal, but a whisky needs to be matched and takes a little getting used to.

Had a Port Ellen with a steak the other night and it went really well. A whisky with a dessert also works very well. Salmon starters with Ardbeg ... mmmmmm :thumbsup:
Matt2

Postby Lawrence » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:30 pm

There are many things I like but few I dislike (rather don't interest me) , which is why I always renew my subsrciption. As for whisky and food, well, there are two clubs in Canada with a combined national memberships of about 2500 people that do nothing but food and whisky. It does work and it's fun but is it an serious intial assessment of a certain whisky? Nope. It's something else, the dinners and whisky are fun. Pairings work also.

I would like to see more distillery profiles of the smaller less well know distileeries like Loch Lomond or Glencadam or Tomintoul for example. Not just continual visits to Laphroaig of which there have been many over the years.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:15 pm

On the subject of whisky and food, I recall going to Jim Murray's evening tasting in Stourbridge.

We were promised 'nibbles', but Jim forbade and food (or even water) in the room for the entire 4 hour tasting.

Platters were finally passed around at close to midnight.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:45 pm

Excellent post. I'm maybe a bit late with my comments as most already seem to have been covered.
Nick I agree and disagree with you on pairing whiskywith food. There are some sublime combinations out there that of course change the taste of the whisky but offer a new and remarkable taste experience.
The music bit - sorry, like many above I just pass on this. I love music and I love whisky but don't find reading about whisky in songs of particular interest.
I don't consider myself a collector/investor as such, but it's interesting seeing bottle that I've seen in the past figure. Only a matter of time before some of my unopened bottles make an apperance :lol:
Really like the news and new release items and articles on distilleries.
All in all an excellent mag. Keep up the good work folks.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:09 pm

In conclusion, great to see the magazine getting an overall big 'thumbs up'.

Even better to see that management are actually prepared to listen to readers views. Fabulous.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:17 am

I do enjoy the Collector's Corner too! That would be nice to expand a bit, although this might create some false hype if new releases and bottlings are discussed of what could possibly be collectable. Not necessarily projections. But otherwise, recently auctioned whiskies, what things are fetching.
Di Blasi

Muskrat's mag preferences...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:02 am

When I receive WM, I quickly browse through it, just skimming the pages, then reading the news section next in detail. The next day I'm able to, starting from the beginning, I read through cover to cover, with a few exceptions that are left for last.

Whether I agree with them or not, I always enjoy the editors comments, Dave Brooms column and Michael Jackson's musings. They are at least voicing an opinion. I also enjoy articles on distilleries and whisky conversations, and do miss the secret visitor column. Maybe you should reinstate it, using a couple of foreigners instead of a local? The food and whisky segments interest me from a pairing perspective. I have tried a BBQ sauce with Ardbeg Uigedail as the base which was spectacular on ribs and on steak. If you wanted more "smoke" add more Ardbeg, brilliant!

I don't always agree with the cocktails column, but it is a Whisky Magazine, not a Single Malt magazine so I read the article through. I also find the books section a bit of a stretch and generally leave it until later in my literary grazing. I've not found anything I don't want to read as yet, although I regret not being able to access many of the whiskies profiled in the new releases section.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:27 pm

Matt Page wrote:
Nick Brown wrote:In my experience, whisky and food do not go together well. Food needs drinks that are quaffable like wine or beer. The delicate flavours of whisky are imaired by food - effectively turning it into a spirity firewater.

Nick, this is what we are trying to educate people about. Whisky can go very well with a meal but takes a lot more thought than a wine or beer. You can probably quaf any old beer or wine with any meal, but a whisky needs to be matched and takes a little getting used to.

Had a Port Ellen with a steak the other night and it went really well. A whisky with a dessert also works very well. Salmon starters with Ardbeg ... mmmmmm :thumbsup:

I think we'll need to agree to differ. I find whisky too sweet for savoury foods and smoked salmon, in particular, is oily so it coats the tongue, preventing the flavour of the whisky getting through. But as with many things, and in the immortal words of Sheryl Crow, if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:35 pm

As an organisor of some great Whisky & Food "Gourmet" evenings I can only say that this is a very exciting area which is neither dull nor boring.
I have personally experienced some fantastic pairings in which the food and whisky merged together so well that the overall experience was far greater than the two individual components would have been, had they been sampled separately.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:04 pm

I would also like to see Jim Murray return to Whisky Mag as a regular contributor. It's been long enough, his being away.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:15 pm

Here, here to Jim Murray.

And what about ordinary 'jo public' readers doing the odd article ?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:00 pm

Dislikes: The concept of having to pay for it!

:wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:05 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:As an organisor of some great Whisky & Food "Gourmet" evenings I can only say that this is a very exciting area which is neither dull nor boring.
I have personally experienced some fantastic pairings in which the food and whisky merged together so well that the overall experience was far greater than the two individual components would have been, had they been sampled separately.

MT

Yes I agree! I recently attended a wonderful Diageo Whisky dinner which would definitely convince those not convinced! The whiskies matched the food perfectly, complimenting each others flavors very nicely.
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:51 pm

1) Like Nick, I generally feel that whisky is not a good accompaniment to food. However, I don't mind reading about such at all. And, while I wouldn't be likely to do it on my own table, I read all the time about whisky dinners I'd love to attend. A special occasion thing, I guess, rather than an everyday complement.

2) The trouble with "whisky and music" or "whisky and literature" articles is that what is usually attempted is to link what is, after all, a niche product to popular culture. My tastes in culture are even more niche-y (Nietzsche?!?) than my taste in drink, so I usually find the exercise uninteresting. That said, a review of Robin Laing's three albums of whisky-related songs would certainly be appropriate.

3) I'm a geography fiend...I'd like to see more travel and history surrounding whisky, stuff that is about the places where whisky is made and the people who have made it. But that's just me.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:11 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:3) I'm a geography fiend...I'd like to see more travel and history surrounding whisky, stuff that is about the places where whisky is made and the people who have made it. But that's just me.

Mr T do you get the BBC program Coast. You'd love it. Last night's edition which we have just watched was from Blackpool up to Whitehaven. It was fascinating.

les taylor

Postby Rob Allanson » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:25 am

les taylor wrote:

Mr T do you get the BBC program Coast. You'd love it. Last night's edition which we have just watched was from Blackpool up to Whitehaven. It was fascinating.

Yep saw that and it was nice to see part of the coast line I grew up playing around - my grandparents live at a place called High Harrington, down the coast from Workington and Whitehaven...
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby Iain » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:06 am

Lawrence wrote:I would like to see more distillery profiles of the smaller less well know distileeries like Loch Lomond or Glencadam or Tomintoul for example. Not just continual visits to Laphroaig of which there have been many over the years.

Me too. But I suspect that the wee distilleries haven't got the budgets required to fly whisky journos all the way from London (or Norwich!), and wine and dine them.

And the big companies tend to funnel journos to the distilleries they are promoting most heavily, as a single malt or as the "home" of a big blend (just wait to see how many features there will be soon on Miltonduff, "home" of Ballantines).

[edit here - for Miltonduff, read Glenburgie. A mere typo :oops: ]

I'd love to see more articles on Linkwood, Benrinnes and Royal Brackla, for examples.
Last edited by Iain on Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder