Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Issue 64 interview

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Issue 64 interview

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:54 am

Folks - am I the only one who was left a little cold and uninformed by Ian Wisniewski's interview with Sukhinder Singh?
Normally one gets some sort of warmth/passion coming through, but this seemed very stilted. Maybe it's just me, but some of the answers appeared quite guarded and at the end I wondered what the point of the interview was. :?
Deactivated Member

Postby Rob Allanson » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:04 am

Thanks for the feed back on this. It is always interesting to see how a new commission is received. Sorry you did not enjoy this one, but I think there are some good nuggets in there and hopefully you will enjoy some of the others in the series.
In WM65 we have Campbell Evans in the chair.

Cheers
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:48 pm

I see what Crieftan is saying, but I also agree with you Rob regarding the nuggets, I did learn some things. But I also feel Sukhinder Singh is probably a bit private about his business and strategies and practices in order to protect his investments. He can't give all of his secrets away! I have heard from many that know Sukhinder Singh personally, and I have only heard the best about him!! Perhaps the article wasn't as indept as it could have been, perhaps a bit too brief. But maybe that's what the magazine was planning to do, give just a hint of who they're interviewing, just give us a little taste, leave us wanting more??
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:18 pm

Hey guy's you won't believe this but Sukhinder is a forum member. He made one post back in 2001 and here it is.

Forum: Collector's Corner Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2001 4:10 pm Subject: Help Information Pinch/Haig 350 decanter
This is very difficult to value.
It is quite rare and was made quite some time
ago.
I have just boought one for £320, but have seen them go for upto £600 - £700
I hope this helps

Sukhinder

What a shame he did'nt stay around longer. With his background he might have posted as much as Mr T by now. Then that interview might well be viewed very differently.

8)
les taylor

Postby r900p » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:13 pm

I've just popped into whisky-online.com. What a great shop and chap, husband, wife and young son run the shop, its mostly mail order, but some amazing bottles for any collector, single bottles in excess of £3,000. To me this place put whisky exchange royal mile etc to shame. Although i didn't spend anything today, i know i will definately be buying from there in the future.

In the interviews i'd perhaps want to see interviews with the little known guys, like the chap above, not only does it help them get a foot in the door, but empowers the customer by being able to further find out where the best values are.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:58 pm

Just for the avoidance of doubt, in no way am I having a pop at either interviewer or interviewee - both highly knowledgable guys with bags of experience. But in a way I think that's what made this interview the more disappointing for me.

Given the obvious knowledge and expertise that both these guys have, I think I was expecting more.

Rob - I don't disagree that here were some nuggets in there - it just didn't seem to "flow" as I perhaps other chats have.

PS - I received my copy of the Scotch Whisky Review this morning. It seems that the irreverent one share my opinion - see interview with Kier Sword :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:04 pm

Criefy I reread the article last night. After you raised the subject. I think it was a whisky magazine editorial decision. In as much this series is scheduled to fill one page each issue. Therefore the the questions and the answers were chopped in order to fit on the one page.

Maybe if it was allowed to expand on to more pages it would come across better. The magazine seemed a bit thin anyway so it could take it.

:|
les taylor

Postby MGillespie » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:27 am

Agreed, Les...sometimes the best interviews need to have a little room to breathe. If the format is going to be "20 questions with...", that's one thing, but there's no way to do an in-depth interview in one page that has any perspective...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder