Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

WM67 Round Table Questions

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

WM67 Round Table Questions

Postby Matt2 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:18 pm

Dear all,

Please find below the questions for the next Round Table. You have 24 hours to consider your replies and post them.

Please remember to email your name and home address to rob@whiskymag.com otherwise your comments can not be used.

1. Is an older blend better than it's younger companions?

2. Are blends making the whisky world more accesible for beginners and why?

Comments posted here may be edited and used in the magazine.
Matt2

Re: WM67 Round Table Questions

Postby Leither » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:18 pm

Okay, I'll start by saying:

1. Is an older blend better than it's younger companions?

In essence no - similar to malts, and indeed whisky in general, older does not necessarily equate to better. Personally, I think that, rather than age, the malt content of the blend makes it better - for example a quality blend to me is Black Bush, where the malt outweighs the grain content apparently by some margin. Another example where malt content is high is Bailie Nicol Jarvie.

2. Are blends making the whisky world more accesible for beginners and why?

Yes, blends (and indeed Cocktails, Liqueurs and Finished whiskies!) are making the whisky world more accessible both in terms of broadening it's appeal and allowing innovation and experimentation. Whisky needs to appeal more to the under-30 segment and the first rung of the ladder can be a blend, but not necessarily so.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby jcasazza » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:40 pm

1. No. Its all a matter of personal taste. How the blend is made is more important to my taste then how old it really is.

2. Yes. Blends tend to be cheaper than their single malt counterparts. A good blend can be bought for under 30 dollars (American) while i am hardpressed to come up with a good single malt for the same price. i know i am always skeptical to try a new Dram that costs over 45 dollars just in case I dont like it. But if my usual price for a bottle is the 40-45 dollar range, im willing to experiment with a new bottle in that price range, or even below. The same can be said for potential new whisky drinkers, who see a 40 dollar single malt as an extravaganze but perhaps a 25-30 dollar bottle is what they spend on a bottle of their liquor of choice, they might go out on the proverbial limb and take a chance on a new taste...

Joe C
jcasazza

Postby Rob Allanson » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:51 pm

I am going to extend this discussion until 5pm UK time on Thursday (18th). So feel free to join in.

Rob
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:01 am

1. I have no deep knowledge of blends, though I know what I have come to enjoy. Blackbush, already mentioned here, stands out for me, as do JW Black and Gold.

2. No! I don't believe blends neccessarily help people into the world of whisky. I had no affinity with whisky, that hot, spirity tasting stuff that got you drunk rather quickly, if not as pleasantly as tequila... until I discovered the aladdin's cave of flavours within the world of malts... and my fascination began with the heavier peaty kind.

when I first experimented with blends, having got into malts, I could taste them OK, but they seemed thin, unsubtle and unchallenging by comparison with the singles...I'm talking standard Bell's , Grouse etc. I have since discovered blends I really like, as mentioned above, and have bought the odd bottle...but I have only known friends convert to whisky via malts. In general, they will move from Glenmorangie to Talisker in about a year!!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder