Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

ISSUE 67 IS OUT NOW

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

ISSUE 67 IS OUT NOW

Postby les taylor » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:53 pm

Dave has been. Issue 67 has just hit the mat. Looks a good one. :thumbsup:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: ISSUE 67 IS OUT NOW

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:38 pm

Got the new issue in my local Borders today, along with the latest Malt Advocate. Double mag result.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:52 am

Well I had a little flick through last night. It has been revamped everybody. Well done Rob and team I like it. New features and layouts. Plus a new matt paper finish which is quite good. ( sorry about taking your name in vain Matt ).

Plus a highlight some bloke called Tim Hain gets a mention on page 36, well done RB.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:49 am

67 arrived on the doorstep today :D
Deactivated Member

Postby michael Foggarty » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:26 am

Must admit love the new lay out

But could the guys at whisky magazine explain the Icons 2008

why no irish bars or restaurants awarded ?

would it be the fact that they were charging bars nearly €200 to enter the icons this year !!!

what should have been the best Icons yet, has it become buy a whisky award dot com ?

As a former bar manager of a whisky bar in Ireland i remember getting the paper work for entering and was none to happy with the costs so didnt enter have the rest followed suit ? i think so after all whisky bars and restaurants are hard to come by in ireland and we all talk amongst ourselfs !

You should not have to pay to have an opertunity to win an award it should be given purely on merit !

Look forward to the responce from the mag

Michael Foggarty

Former Bar Manager @ The Jasmine Bar @ Brooks Hotel
now working in The Celtic Whiskey Shop !

p.s. i got a mention in issue 62 page 37 which im grateful for.
michael Foggarty

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:47 pm

It seems most have enjoyed the new look & feel of the magazine, down to the new paper quality.

I am sorry to say I do not like the changes personally. The paper is much cheaper than previously, and the whole magazine lacks style and clarity when compared to the old style. Use of colours is IMHO hideous, and the whole thing has a bit of a tabloid feel to it. What a bummer.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:08 am

The redesign is fine--I really don't care much one way or the other. But there's the rub: it sometimes feels that design is more important than content. We get lots of very short articles with large photographs, and one sometimes has the feeling that the proofreader has been into the samples a bit overmuch. Take this beauty of a sentence from the article on Kittling Ridge:

The final composition of Forty Creek is roughly the rye and corn whiskies make up 85 per cent and the barley is a small contingent of the three.

That's just one example among many of tortured English. Really, where's an editor when you need one?
Deactivated Member

dumbing down - maybe?

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:47 am

Hmmm, strange how we don't always notice things immediately.
I received WM67 some time ago but just haven't had time to read it yet.
I picked it up this morning and after reading this discussion, picked up my other nearest to hand WM which was No. 64.
Lo and behold, there are indeed some differences, namely Issue 67 does seem to made of thinner paper, but most noticeable are the expanses of larger pictures and what seems to be more advertising. Or is it just more full page advertising?

What comes to mind now is that dreadful English disease of dumbing down.

Whisky is a quality product, a luxury item. Just look at all the recent exercises in re-packaging from various distilleries. All moving towards promoting a luxury image. Yet WM seems to be moving in the opposite direction, "a la JMR" maybe?

Come on WM, let's have that quality product and don't venture along the dumbing down road.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:22 pm

Preciseamundo. This new look & feel is complimented by lack of quality contents to a certain degree.

Call me old-fashioned, but I liked the old mag feeling and look - it was a reflection of quality and care, all the way through down to the paper it was printed on. It was the spitting image of all things WHISKY to me.

I am now pondering if I should order the magazine or not again - and I was already set on doing that before I saw the new 'improvements'. Sorry to be so negative, but..
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder