Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Is Whisky Mag Worth Purchasing?????

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Is Whisky Mag Worth Purchasing?????

Postby The Dazzler » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:32 am

Is the Whisky Mag worth purchasing? At £4.25GBP I think it is great!!!!

I did not want to run a poll on this one as I feel all readers of this forum should/will be regular readers. What I wish to know is if there is there any relative competitor? Does anyone enjoy any other publication more????

If any publication is better please reveal reasons why it is better!!!!!!

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Re: Is Whisky Mag Worth Purchasing?????

Postby Sjoerd » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:47 am

I buy all editions of Whiskymag and Malt Advocate. I prefer whisky mag, since I find their tastings and general articles a lot more interesting. Although, the most recent edition of Malt Advocate, an Islay special, is a very good read. I finished most of the magazine in one evening and I really enjoyed myself.

The Advocate has too big a focus on American and Canadian whiskies. Of course, they deserve attention too, but I think their focus is a bit off.

The only thing I would like to recommend to the guys at whiskymag is that they should publish a release date on the whiskies. I have seen many tastings that made me enthousiastic, only to find out the whiskies were not available for a long time.
And I know it is not an error of my whisky shop, since they have more than 1,400 whiskies on the shelf, and are usually very up to date on most scotches.
Sjoerd

Postby MrIntrepid » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:50 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:I can't get whiskymag here unless I subscribe, which I won't do until I have read a couple of issues, which I can't read because I can't get them unless I subscribe, and... :mrgreen:

Hi LSD,

Can you not order old releases from this website? If not when I go to whisky live in Feb they usually give away a copy in the goody bag, as I subscribe I will have two copies, therefore I will be happy to post you a copy if you pm me your address. I enjoy the magazine a lot it has a really good range of articles not just on Scotch but on whisky from all over the world.
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:18 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:I can't get whiskymag here unless I subscribe, which I won't do until I have read a couple of issues, which I can't read because I can't get them unless I subscribe, and... :mrgreen:

Come on LSD bite the bullet man. Once you've read it you'll want every issue. Don't waste another day get your subscription sorted.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:06 pm

I like both the whiskymag and the Malt Advocate. WM has to be the stock mag for those of us this side of the pond, but I like the different focus offered in MA.

And its good to hear about new products from elsewhere. I have no particular prejudices and will drink anything :D :dead: .

There are so many new bottlings all the time that it is useful to have both to get better coverage. Also, its nice to have multiple points of view.
Willie JJ

Postby mattbuty » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:20 pm

Happy christmas!!!

You know when your girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/mum/inflatable friend asks you what you want for Christmas, and you um and ah and you end up with a pack of socks and a bottle of grouse???? :headbang:

Make that a thing of the past by asking for a subscirtion to WhiskyMag.

Problem solved...except now you are gonna have to buy your own socks :thumbsup:
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby r900p » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:10 am

So is Malt Advocate available over here?

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:17 am

r900p wrote:So is Malt Advocate available over here?

Rob

Yes

I normally get it from Borders
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Whiskana » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:37 am

Mostly it is worth purchasing and if they would send it when ordered I would perhaps one day subscribe it too...

Last time I ordered a couple of mags, they sent me one and did not even inform me why they would not send all the ordered magazines.

My current order was in the beginning of December (5th, I think) and no word yet. And on top of that, emails bounce back from given addresses... I think they have much room for improvement; customer service, logistics... Take Your pick!

Nice going! :roll:
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby woodhill » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:43 am

lawschooldrunk wrote:just bought my first whisky magazine! found it in borders while looking for the new malt advocate. was totally surprised to see it.

will see if it's worth it...

Is the new MA out in US yet?

i looked in Borders here this week and it wasn't there yet?
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:14 am

I'm seriously considering subscribing since there is no local magazine stand that sells it, but I wonder how long it will take to get out to me after hearing some of the other's stories here? Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones and get it before the latest issue is shown on this homepage! :thumbsup:
Di Blasi

Postby sku » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:38 pm

I like and subscribe to both WM and MA and find them to be fairly similar in terms of content, style, etc. WM publishes more frequently, but is much more expensive for those of us in the US.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby r900p » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:00 pm

Just renewed mine, well rathe my mother has for my easter present, great having mothers, at least thats me out of the way for presents for easter.

Bring on issue 70.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder