Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Idea for new Whisky Mag content

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Re: Idea for new Whisky Mag content

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:16 am

Mr TH informs us: "Non-organic beekeepers routinely use sulfa compounds and antibiotics to control bee diseases, carbolic acid to remove honey from the hive and calcium cyanide to kill colonies before extracting the honey, and of course conventional honeybees gather nectar from plants that have been sprayed with pesticides."

Eeewww!! Gimme Sheila's armpits(or any other musky hollow) anyday!

Against such odds(humanly perpetrated, naturally)i'd say honey certainly is improbable...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:23 am

I think someone is using an improbability drive.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:44 am

Musky Hollow? Isn't that where the Whisky Lair is hidden?

I'd keep in mind that the above info was provided by a website dedicated to organic produce, and was intended to be as distasteful as possible. Propaganda, in other words. That doesn't mean it isn't true, especially as it relates to large-scale producers, but I'll bet lots of artisanal apiaries would be horrified to be painted with that brush, whether they were certified organic or not.
Deactivated Member

Postby Danny » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:34 am

Honey Bees as other agricutural products run a whole gambit of treatments, from none to everything. I think most bee keepers use anti biotics, etc., for health reasons. Put them out of business pretty quick if they lost their colonies to disease. Where I came from the bees were put out in clover, no spray, alfalfa, no spray and canola, lots of spray. Most fields get fertilized.

I am not to concerned about the honey, when it is common practice to spray cerial crops with Roundup to allow an earlier harvest. That cerial grain makes flour, breakfast cerials, beer, whisky or is fed to the livestock that ends up in the stores as consumable meat products.

So what is a little antibiotic transfer into your honey :wink:
Danny
Bronze Member

Postby Jobi » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:49 am

I never would have guessed that this topic could turn into a discussion of honey and armpits. You just never know...
I'm deathly afraid that the next whisky I nose will remind me of armpits.
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:59 am

I wonder if bees armpits smell of honey?
Willie JJ

Postby les taylor » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:00 pm

Right back to the business of these bees. On saturday morning we were in the farm shop in the little village of Dagnall. I couldn't believe my eyes they were selling Bedfordshire honey Buckinghamshire honey and Hertfordshire honey. Dagnall is one of those funny places that you are literally a stones throw from all three counties. So thinking of our discussion here I asked Mr Munn where exactly the honeys came from. The herts honey came from Gaddesden Row just down the road. The Bucks honey from Long Marston. The bedfordshire honey from Caddington. I had to have some. It turns out they hive is in Mancroft road. The bees could fly to my garden in a couple of minutes. It's pretty close as the bee flies. He also said that a honey that is made closest to where you live is the best honey for you. It does you most good. I'm not arguing with that.

So to keep this on theme, many people think of Dalwhinnie as a honeyed whisky. Anyway here's a picture of my honey.

:)
les taylor

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:34 pm

I always locate local honey, wherever I find myself. I've heard usually within 50 miles is best, if I remember correctly. And now living up here, I already know where to go and get it, had some a few months back, wow, excellent, you could taste raspberries and flowers in it. And it's cheaper than the other local one I used to buy in Bergen.
Di Blasi

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:50 pm

les taylor wrote:I couldn't believe my eyes they were selling Bedfordshire honey Buckinghamshire honey and Hertfordshire honey.

Les how do they know that the bees are not crossing county boundaries :)?
Willie JJ

Postby les taylor » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:52 am

Willie JJ wrote:
les taylor wrote:I couldn't believe my eyes they were selling Bedfordshire honey Buckinghamshire honey and Hertfordshire honey.

Les how do they know that the bees are not crossing county boundaries :)?

Willie come on man they are organic bees. They do know better. :P
les taylor

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:54 am

"So to keep this on theme, many people think of Dalwhinnie as a honeyed whisky."

Les, when my dear young singer friend Clea gets on the mike after a stiff Talisker, she's definitely a whiskeyed honey...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:55 am

Steady RB! Steady! :)
Willie JJ

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:10 am

Jobi wrote:I never would have guessed that this topic could turn into a discussion of honey and armpits. You just never know...
I'm deathly afraid that the next whisky I nose will remind me of armpits.

So you've not yet tried Slyrs? :o
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:05 pm

not so much an idea for new content, but somthing that i feel is not very good in the magazine is collectors corner.

i think its a bit pointless in its current state, i dont think the "valuations" put on some of the bottles are correct, ive seen bottles go for wildly different amounts to whats on there, im not on about the ebay factor bottles.

i personally think its had its day in its current format, its just taking up space that could have somthing interesting in its place, even another advert there would be an improvment i think, (and thats saying somthing as its full of adverts :roll: )
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:03 am

I think Collector's corner is a good idea, but I also agree that it isn't implemented in what is possibly the best way.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:50 pm

I'd like to see a "Page 3". Not a topless maiden, as that'd be way to racy for most of the boring old farts that read the magazine. But maybe just a fabulous picture with no narrative. Readers could be invited to submit phots - a distillery visit, a rare bottling.

What about a "Reader Profile"? Each issue, a reader answers selected questions. Our football club has a "Fan's Page" in its prog. and this is always a good read.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:52 pm

eelbrook wrote:I'd like to see a "Page 3". Not a topless maiden, as that'd be way to racy for most of the boring old farts that read the magazine. But maybe just a fabulous picture with no narrative. Readers could be invited to submit phots - a distillery visit, a rare bottling.

What about a "Reader Profile"? Each issue, a reader answers selected questions. Our football club has a "Fan's Page" in its prog. and this is always a good read.

eelbrrok would that be MK Dons?
les taylor

Postby mattbuty » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:35 am

Have you done anything about history of whisky in film or popular literature?

Saw Golden Compass, and thought "those are very nice glasses, and thats a very nice decanter. Turns out it had Tokaji conditioned whisky in it.

Perhaps someone should interview Philip Pullman and find out what he drinks? you know, a star in a reasonably nice bar, that sort of thing.
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Les

Yes, I support Milton Keynes Dons MMIV. I''ve had a season ticket since day one.

Today, Rotherham 0 MK Dons 1. Another win (18th) for us. Another clean sheet (14th). Another week top of the league.

Who'd think it. Only 5th January and we've already got 57 points.
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:38 pm

why not a collection showcase.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:48 am

eelbrook wrote:Les

Yes, I support Milton Keynes Dons MMIV. I''ve had a season ticket since day one.

Today, Rotherham 0 MK Dons 1. Another win (18th) for us. Another clean sheet (14th). Another week top of the league.

Who'd think it. Only 5th January and we've already got 57 points.

Hi eelbrook yes your boys are going well this season I hope your manager dosen't get poached.

Collector57 wrote:
Hey, 57's a good number!

Hi 57 yep it's got variety. :)
les taylor

Postby arkle » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:48 pm

Just going back to the honey thing,I thought it was just me!. I collect local honeys wherever I holiday in UK,recently i bought a Borage honey in Suffolk, its actually a rather fetching green colour and has a definate hint of cucumber in the taste!The most floral honey is one local to me( New Forest) it smells just like the Machair on Uist!
Perhaps Whisky enthusiasts have a heightened awareness /appreciation of flavour(I also have a thing about cheese, but cant abide wine!)
arkle
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:53 pm

arkle, I to love local cheeses. You've got to get a handle on the wine thing though.

:)
les taylor

Postby hook55 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:22 am

:? This post is totally over my head :? don't know any of those terms used by the mag.. I like reading the scores from Michael Jackson he uses descriptions that I can understand..
hook55
Silver Member

Postby GreatShots » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:18 pm

eelbrook wrote:I'd like to see a "Page 3". Not a topless maiden, as that'd be way to racy for most of the boring old farts that read the magazine. But maybe just a fabulous picture with no narrative. Readers could be invited to submit photos - a distillery visit, a rare bottling

Well, we don't have Page 3 ladies here in the States, but being familiar with the concept, I'd like to register the 1st vote FOR the idea!!

I'd like to believe the concept of 'old farts' is a myth. Men are men, at whatever age, possessed of good, healthy appreciation of the fairer sex until both feet are in the grave.

Yours truly is new to this forum, so I may be out of place. (God forbid there really ARE 'just a bunch of old farts here', LOL). But FWIW, I have been doing photography, professionally on and off for 32 years. Many of my favorites photos are of my wife. And some of my favorites of those, I confess, are not totally dissimilar to Page 3's.

Photos of creatures of beauty.... something terrific to behold at any age.... at least I hope so, as I am aging along with all of us here.

8)
GreatShots

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:55 pm

As founder and president of BOFFO (Boring Old Farts & Fabulists Organization), I take umbrage at your remarks. (Ask your doctor if umbrage is right for you.)

I would also note that, extraordinary as it might sound, there are actually women who enjoy drinking whisky. I may be a boring old fart, but I'm not sexist enough to think that only men read Whisky Magazine.

I am, however, an open-minded fellow, and believe there is an appropriate time and place for just about everything. If you like, you may PM me the photos of your wife.

(Just kidding....)
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:06 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I would also note that, extraordinary as it might sound, there are actually women who enjoy drinking whisky.

But obviously only the light floral ones like Cardhu.

(and yes, that is supposed to be a sarcastic swipe at the marketing of Cardhu)
Deactivated Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder