Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Healthy drinking

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Healthy drinking

Postby TreacleSponge » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:42 pm

Does anyone else think the health & whisky article (p.48 issue 68) is a bit bizarre? When it started I thought it'd be a tongue-in-cheek bit of light reading. It's based on the premise that Happiness = Good health, and Whisky = Happiness. Therefore Whisky = Good health. Then it turns into a pseudo-scientific piece of contradictory nonsense that seems to take itself seriously.

The "health guru" author seems to be mixing up overall wellbeing with digestive health, and reiterates that exercise is bad. She also discounts any evolution of prehistoric man into today's whisky-drinker. Hmm, well looking around... :wink:
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Re: Healthy drinking

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:39 am

I...don't...HAVE...Issue... 68...yet! (Through clenched teeth)
Don't ruin it for the kiddies, please.

The last I'd read about health and whisky was that the process involved carcinogens that could result in cancer if ingested. At that point I gave up reading. Well,... about Whisky and health! Damned if I'll give up everything that's bad for me.

Seriously, I'll have to take a look at this article. maybe burn off one of my Tokens to do so. I find that many healthy living types are rather tunnel vision in their perceptions of lifestyle. Many years ago at University, one of my Psych professors gave exceptionally good advice: "Anyone can posit a theory and that is all it is, a theory. It is not gospel truth, only one persons perception." Now this is a general simplification of what was stated but it assists me, and my jaundiced world view, to continue to cast a critical eye on someone's "pet theorum".

Generally, anything in excess can harm you, which is why I prefer moderation. I'll have to see what this author's perspective is and then continue on in a similar vein, if required.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby bongoman » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:41 am

As a moderate drinker, this is an issue that I am very interested in.

As someone who enjoys brandy, I was intrigued to read of studies that show that people in the Armagnac producing regions of France have 50% lower rates of heart disease than the French average and this is due to moderate consumption of the local brandy.

It seems the jury is still out on why this is the case - is it the alcohol itself, or certain compounds from the grapes that are found in the distillate or compounds from the wood in which it is aged or as a result of the antioxidants from the copper still.

Here's some news re the "copper signal" being the important factor: http://www.monash.edu.au/news/newsline/story/718

And this seems a good overview on alcohol and health: http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholAndHealth.html
bongoman

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:16 am

Looking forward to getting this issue so I can read that article, sounds interesting. I too am interested in enjoying a "quality" rather than a "quantity" life, but in moderation, and not drinking to get drunk. I wonder what the article has to say.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:10 am

TreacleSponge wrote:Does anyone else think the health & whisky article (p.48 issue 68) is a bit bizarre? ... :wink:

TS:
Now, how did you (and the others in the UK) get hold of Issue 68 when only Issue 67 is out on the website? I wonder how we can unlock the article? Hmmmmmmm?
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:49 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:
TreacleSponge wrote:Does anyone else think the health & whisky article (p.48 issue 68) is a bit bizarre? ... :wink:

TS:
Now, how did you (and the others in the UK) get hold of Issue 68 when only Issue 67 is out on the website? I wonder how we can unlock the article? Hmmmmmmm?
Muskrat Portage

Musky Dave the postie just drops it through the letter box.

:)
les taylor

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:29 am

Hi TS
I agree the article is swaddled in (psuedo?) scientific jargon. I get the feeling this is included to somehow make us feel that the article has some basis in fact, but at the end it rather undermines this by pointing out that there is no science to support the argument at all!??

Despite this there is a serious point to the article which I am inclined to agree with.

She starts by saying that scientists say that having a regular, moderate intake of alcohol helps people to live longer, but that the scientific reasons given for this seem inadequate (to her at least).

She offers an alternative explanation which suggests that in modern life we all work harder than we were physically designed to do and don't wind down enough. This is bad for health. Raising a glass is a mental indicator that we have (fairly certainly) stopped work and so helps our systems to move rapidly into relaxation mode. This is good for health.

I don't know why she couldn't just say that plainly, but it seems sensible enough to me. Also by this argument the best thing you can do when you get in from work is have a dram right away :thumbsup: .

I like it. Simple. Easy to remember.
Willie JJ

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:48 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:TS:
Now, how did you (and the others in the UK) get hold of Issue 68 when only Issue 67 is out on the website?

It's because Paragraph like us best. We always get it first, and sometimes they put in personalised letters asking after our families, or inviting us out to tastings round their house. I like it when they include those tickets for travel, accommodation and entrance fees to distillery tours. Oh and usually there's free samples attached to the cover too ;)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:09 pm

TS that's pure class. :thumbsup: We get those to but didn't want to large it.

:)
les taylor

Postby MrIntrepid » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:50 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:Does anyone else think the health & whisky article (p.48 issue 68) is a bit bizarre? When it started I thought it'd be a tongue-in-cheek bit of light reading. It's based on the premise that Happiness = Good health, and Whisky = Happiness. Therefore Whisky = Good health. Then it turns into a pseudo-scientific piece of contradictory nonsense that seems to take itself seriously.

The "health guru" author seems to be mixing up overall wellbeing with digestive health, and reiterates that exercise is bad. She also discounts any evolution of prehistoric man into today's whisky-drinker. Hmm, well looking around... :wink:

Hi TS, interesting comment - I completely agree with you, I won't go into the details of the article so as not to spoil the fun for our friends over the pond and elsewhere, however one thing that struck me as amusing was the following two passages of the text:

"As a digestive health practioner, every day I see clients who suffer from ..."

then at the end it says

"Journalists do not give medical advice, for which you should see a doctor"

So one minute she is a digestive health practioner the next a journalist who doesn't provide medical advice:roll:
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:07 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:
Now, how did you (and the others in the UK) get hold of Issue 68 when only Issue 67 is out on the website?

It's because Paragraph like us best. We always get it first, and sometimes they put in personalised letters asking after our families, or inviting us out to tastings round their house. I like it when they include those tickets for travel, accommodation and entrance fees to distillery tours. Oh and usually there's free samples attached to the cover too ;)
Aww, you only get ONE free sample?
To echo JJ, in his and others comments on the wisdom of having a dram after work, historically the UK coal miners who went for a pint before they went home to wife and kiddies were less likely to die of "Black Lung" than the good fathers who went straight home. The beer would wash the coal dust out of the airway and into the digestive tract. The concept of alcohol prolonging life, to a certain minor extent, also has some medical soundness to it as red wine has anti oxidants which work towards improving your health, in moderation.

We've also discussed the pros and cons of whisky and health elsewhere in these forums, I just can't go look as I have to go and finish my Christmas baking. Gotta make butter tarts.

This article intrigues me, I must admit, so will sit here and nurse my Glenlivet samples while I wait for delivery.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:38 pm

Treacle, stop teasing them or I will divert your next issue via Canada and take out your £50 gift voucher :P

I will get issue 68 online tomorrow so you can all have a look at it....
Matt2

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:00 pm

Yeeehooooo, issue #68 tomorrow! Reminding me to run out and get it tomorrow too!! Thanks Matt! :thumbsup:
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:55 am

Hey, that means today, time to check the home page! Gotta check the newstand for the new issue today, fingers crossed! :empty:
Di Blasi

Postby Rob Allanson » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:10 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:

Actually Teacle I will be round to read issue 69 to you on New Years day to save you having to turn the pages - well we cannot have you wasting valuable drinking energy that way. :smoke:
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby les taylor » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:18 pm

Rob that was cracking. 8)
les taylor

Postby Rob Allanson » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:21 pm

:D I thank you......oh and am just closing WM69 out now - will be our mid Jan.
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby TreacleSponge » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:51 pm

Rob Allanson wrote:
TreacleSponge wrote:

Actually Teacle I will be round to read issue 69 to you on New Years day to save you having to turn the pages - well we cannot have you wasting valuable drinking energy that way. :smoke:

Thank you Mr.Editor sir

But that's only what I've come to expect, of course

Treacle :angel:
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:58 pm

Still have to get my hands on issue #68, and now we also have issue #69 to look forward to mid-January!
Di Blasi

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:58 pm

Di Blasi wrote:... and now we also have issue #69 to look forward to mid-January!
You meant, of course, mid febdreary.
:D
Robbie Allanson wrote:Actually Treacle, I will be round to read issue 69 to you on New Years day, to save you having to turn the pages - well, we cannot have you wasting valuable drinking energy that way.
Rob, I am truly impressed to see the lengths that an energetic young editor will go, to please his regional subcribers. I can only look forward to the date when an international service is instituted. With that in mind I really should extend my subscription another 5 years...

I quite like the seasonal updates to the page, by the by. The little Noddy hats are quite fetching. Joyeaux Noel et Bon Annee.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:15 am

That's true Muskrat Portage, I'm still trying to get issue #68. Les's suggestion of a subscription is probably a good idea. If sent out promptly, it will probably get to me quick.
Di Blasi

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:47 am

Di Blasi wrote:That's true Muskrat Portage, I'm still trying to get issue #68. Les's suggestion of a subscription is probably a good idea. If sent out promptly, it will probably get to me quick.
Yeah. If you send it in now, Johnathan,you may get issue 68 before I do! And maybe, as the newest subscriber, Rob will come over and read the issue to you as well. To cut down on the impact reading has on your dramming time, of course.

Your health is of tantamount importance to WM and as drinking whisky is so healthy, we shouldn't let any minor inconvenience, like reading, hold us back from it.
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Rob Allanson » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:12 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:That's true Muskrat Portage, I'm still trying to get issue #68. Les's suggestion of a subscription is probably a good idea. If sent out promptly, it will probably get to me quick.
Yeah. If you send it in now, Johnathan,you may get issue 68 before I do! And maybe, as the newest subscriber, Rob will come over and read the issue to you as well. To cut down on the impact reading has on your dramming time, of course.

Your health is of tantamount importance to WM and as drinking whisky is so healthy, we shouldn't let any minor inconvenience, like reading, hold us back from it.
Musky

Of course - never underestimate how important you are to us here at Whisky Towers...might even stash something nice and cask strength in my flight bag as well - seeing as you are the newest subscriber.. :D
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby les taylor » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:21 pm

Rob what do us old stalwarts get?

:wink:
les taylor

Postby LeoDLion » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:25 pm

There are several articles about drinking once a day is better than not drinking at all. That the alcohol is good for your heart and blood vessels. Then another article popped up that says drinking two drams a day is even better than one. Now they stop at two- who knows maybe more than two is even better but then thats promoting drinking too much.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:27 pm

LeoDLion wrote:There are several articles about drinking once a day is better than not drinking at all. That the alcohol is good for your heart and blood vessels. Then another article popped up that says drinking two drams a day is even better than one. Now they stop at two- who knows maybe more than two is even better but then thats promoting drinking too much.

I will experiment with more than two and let you know in a couple of decades (hopefully). If you don't hear from me again then best not to try it yourself.
Willie JJ

Postby LeoDLion » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:40 pm

Willie JJ wrote:
LeoDLion wrote:There are several articles about drinking once a day is better than not drinking at all. That the alcohol is good for your heart and blood vessels. Then another article popped up that says drinking two drams a day is even better than one. Now they stop at two- who knows maybe more than two is even better but then thats promoting drinking too much.

I will experiment with more than two and let you know in a couple of decades (hopefully). If you don't hear from me again then best not to try it yourself.

I think theirs an unwritten conspiracy between people in the medical profession specially doctors - that anything that makes you feel good they labelled it BAD for you. Doctors have never never recommended anything that makes you feel good or taste good. They started with cod liver oil (blech), down to brocolli (yechh), and a host of uneatable stuff.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:09 pm

I love brocolli. So much so that before steaming it I sometimes eat a bit raw. Top stuff. :thumbsup:
les taylor

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:24 pm

LeoDLion wrote:I think theirs an unwritten conspiracy between people in the medical profession specially doctors - that anything that makes you feel good they labelled it BAD for you. Doctors have never never recommended anything that makes you feel good or taste good.

Agreed. I've never been much of a believer in dietary science anyway. There are just too many variables to control for. No doubt I will die young, (although its getting a bit late for that).

les taylor wrote:I love brocolli. So much so that before steaming it I sometimes eat a bit raw. Top stuff. :thumbsup:

Never tried that Les. Think I will leave it to you though :)
Willie JJ

Postby Rob Allanson » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:14 pm

les taylor wrote:Rob what do us old stalwarts get?

:wink:

Surely my undying gratitude is enough..... :empty:

by the way all - have a decent festive season :thumbsup:
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:36 pm

And I just heard a bottle of wine a day, (probably not a magnum, but a standard bottle!) is also considered healthy by some. Moderation is still probably best, and that's individual too isn't it.
Di Blasi

Postby jazz lover » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:29 pm

I'LL HAVE TO POUR ME A DOUBLE
AND THINK ABOUT ALL OF THIS...
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:39 am

LOL@ Jazz, I was thinking the same thing. :thumbsup:
Elagabalus