Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Issue 70 - arrived

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Re: Issue 70 - arrived

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:10 pm

I suppose the obvious answer might be that to reflect the lag in delivery they simply print different months on the issues to be posted abroad.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:46 pm

The subscriber version of PC Gamer has none of the cover text that says what's inside. No point I suppose, cos you're not trying to decide in a shop whether to buy it. And it looks better. So perhaps Whiskymag has gone one extra and prints different versions for different subscribers. Like those that renew their sub early get the early dates printed, but maybe Musky is always late to get his cheque in the post so his magazine gets post-dated.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:53 pm

Oh Gawd Treacle you are funny.

ROTFL Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:08 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:Okey Dokey:

I have written a short missive to Rob to find out why the variation in covers globally. I've also posed the query whether there is variance in the content of the magazine as well. I know that we don't receive those minis, back massages or visits to read the magazine outloud that the UK subscribers seem to vow they receive. :D

I'll let you know what the response is.

Muskrat Portage

Pete I doubt that the management will admit anything. Only us UK subscribers and early subscribers really know the truth of the matter. Treacle is quite right about the extra jollies we get.

But she didn't tell you about the coachtrips we get taken on to the distilleries. The 5 star hotels we get to stay in whilst on the whisky mag tour of the Islands. The extra bottles of fine whisky we get at knock down prices. All subsidised by the global subscribers. This is a great club when you get to be in it. I'm afraid that Rob will admit to nothing otherwise your subs will have to go up more. :wink: :wink:
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:13 am

Just reading some more articles on the train there, and now I've got a letter to write...

:wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby ERNIE » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:17 pm

I got my issue today (Belgium).

Ernie
ERNIE

Postby hook55 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:07 pm

:D just be happy your in a country where you can get a copy? :) here, no way!!! :roll: :x I'm thinking of subscribing and sending it to a mate in Sydney and then get him to mail it to me, only trouble is that they open all mail here and check contents! :roll: so I still may not get it? :x
hook55
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:02 pm

Oh yes indeed it is! The Blue Hanger 25y is one of my most beloved and missed whiskies!! That's a helluva reward for getting your letter printed!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Oh yes indeed it is! The Blue Hanger 25y is one of my most beloved and missed whiskies!! That's a helluva reward for getting your letter printed!

My letter has been sent.

*awaits bottle of Blue Hanger...
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:48 pm

butephoto wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:Oh yes indeed it is! The Blue Hanger 25y is one of my most beloved and missed whiskies!! That's a helluva reward for getting your letter printed!

My letter has been sent.

Hey Mark I hope it gets printed. Looking forward to Issue 71 already. :)
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:08 pm

Unfortunately it's fairly serious and not that funny...

:cry:
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:35 pm

Serious isn't bad, looking forward to it too, good luck!
Di Blasi

Postby woodhill » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:41 am

hook55 wrote::D just be happy your in a country where you can get a copy? :) here, no way!!! :roll: :x I'm thinking of subscribing and sending it to a mate in Sydney and then get him to mail it to me, only trouble is that they open all mail here and check contents! :roll: so I still may not get it? :x

You have to remind us again why you are still living there :)
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Rob Allanson » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:39 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:Okey Dokey:

I have written a short missive to Rob to find out why the variation in covers globally. I've also posed the query whether there is variance in the content of the magazine as well. I know that we don't receive those minis, back massages or visits to read the magazine outloud that the UK subscribers seem to vow they receive. :D

I'll let you know what the response is.

Muskrat Portage

Ok all - sorry been hectic here at Whisky Towers - we change the cover date for the versions of the mag going to the US due to the shipping lag.
So UK 69 was Feb/Mar and US 69 was Apr
70 UK is Apr and US 70 is Jun

Hope that clears the matter up. The content does not differ from US to UK mags (its does however if you are reading in French, Japanese and now Spanish where usually you will find 20 per cent or so regional content.)
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:14 pm

Rob:
Thanks very much for clearing that up. I suspected it may have had something to do with the shipping lag. It makes good sense with the fact that most of the sales on this continent will be through storefronts and not subscribers. Nobody wants to buy a "two month old" magazine, even if it's just newly arrived. Many American magazines print a couple of versions as well, different covers for purchasers versus subscribers and extra come-alongs only in the retail sale copies to drum up impulse buying interest.

I had thought that maybe the printing for N.A. was jobbed out to a printer over here and the date was adjusted accordingly. That in itself may be an option to consider as interest in WM becomes more global. The content could easily be electronically shipped to the "printing presses" directly anywhere in the world, and shipped in a timely manner. Having a subscriptions handler/bulk shipper here on our continent is the first step towards that globalisation. It would also, incidently, reduce the time lag grumblings that we seem to revel in making.

Someday maybe I'd get a copy before Les! One can dream, can't one?

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:20 pm

les taylor wrote:
butephoto wrote:

My letter has been sent.

Hey Mark I hope it gets printed. Looking forward to Issue 71 already. :)

Well, I didn't get it with that letter but the next one appears to have been printed...heh...
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:55 pm

That's a damn good letter in issue #72, clearly a winner and deserving of the Blue Hanger 30y, a fantastic whisky!!!!
Di Blasi

Previous

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder