Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Issue 73 Arrived This Morning

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

Issue 73 Arrived This Morning

Postby John McGill » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:28 am

Issue 73 just arrived with this mornings post :D
John McGill
Bronze Member

Re: Issue 73 Arrived This Morning

Postby martin grant » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:30 am

I really need to get around to renewing my subscription. I've missed the last couple of issues

:oops:
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:50 am

But I only just bought issue 72!

:headbang:
Deactivated Member

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:53 am

I've got it too. :D

There's a distillery focus on Mackmyra, which is timely, because I just received a sample of Di Blasi's home vatted Mackmyra a few days ago.

Cheers Jonathan :thumbsup:
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby John McGill » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:53 am

Anyone else having problems getting to the HP40 competition? When I try the URL all I get is a 404 Page Not Found :cry:
John McGill
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:01 pm

What's the link?
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:08 pm

Mine has just arrived with it's free Macallan sponsored Whisky Bars of the world booklet.
And no Bills. :)
les taylor

Postby les taylor » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:18 pm

John McGill wrote:Anyone else having problems getting to the HP40 competition? When I try the URL all I get is a 404 Page Not Found :cry:

John I got the same response. I guess it's something Whisky Mag will have to sort out. :o
les taylor

Postby TreacleSponge » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:34 pm

les taylor wrote:Mine has just arrived with it's free Macallan sponsored whisky Bars of the world booklet.

Which lists them by country with a phone number and sometimes url too. Useful if you know your telephone dialling codes so you'd be able to work out where in the country they are :roll:

I'm sorry - I shouldn't complain, it's a free cover gift and I love free stuff, whatever it is :)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:55 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:
les taylor wrote:Mine has just arrived with it's free Macallan sponsored whisky Bars of the world booklet.

Which lists them by country with a phone number and sometimes url too. Useful if you know your telephone dialling codes so you'd be able to work out where in the country they are :roll:

I'm sorry - I shouldn't complain, it's a free cover gift and I love free stuff, whatever it is :)

T-S, follow the link below from good old BT and you can find the location of any UK dialling code in seconds

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/search/uk_codes/index.publisha

:thumbsup:
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:17 pm

John McGill wrote:Anyone else having problems getting to the HP40 competition? When I try the URL all I get is a 404 Page Not Found :cry:

It's on my schedule to do tomorrow. Looks like they have sent out the magazine early again :evil:

Try again tomorrow and it should work..
Matt2

Postby Matt2 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:45 pm

Ok, should be working now at http://www.whiskymag.com/competitions/hp40/

Good luck :thumbsup:

ps... One entry per household, all your entries will be deleted if you try and cheat
Matt2

Postby les taylor » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:53 pm

Matt Page wrote:Ok, should be working now at http://www.whiskymag.com/competitions/hp40/

Good luck :thumbsup:

ps... One entry per household, all your entries will be deleted if you try and cheat

Thanks Matt. All working now. One less thing to do tomorrow. :)
les taylor

Postby r900p » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:11 am

I got mine too, it had already been opened :shock: , but its okay it was opened by my mother. I really like the front cover shot, don't know why exactly but like it.

This free gift is quite good, i would like to know the criteria bars had to fulfil to be nominated, certainly of the 7 or so listed in Liverpool only 3 have a good selection, the others have 4 bottles or so of malt, which is what i'd expect to find anywhere. Then i can think of places which have quite a good selection, the Red Lion at Lowther, but this is a pub though and not a bar so i'll let them off.

No whisky news in this on though.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:27 am

So I'll get mine in a few weeks then, great to hear! Headed over now to try and win that 40y Highland Park!! :thumbsup:
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:52 am

Is it in the shops now?
Deactivated Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:42 pm

The whisky exchange have the 40 y.o. for £770 - Bargain!
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:54 pm

Also got my issue 73. Really like the free booklet, however as already mentioned it would have been useful to know the geographical location of the bars in each country. Anyone know of any good ones in New York city?
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby bcrossan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:20 pm

LagaDrinker wrote:Also got my issue 73. Really like the free booklet, however as already mentioned it would have been useful to know the geographical location of the bars in each country. Anyone know of any good ones in New York city?

Without a doubt the Brandy Library would be one!!

http://brandylibrary.com/sections2007/home.htm

Look at the whisky list :shock: :dead:
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:44 pm

bcrossan wrote:
LagaDrinker wrote:Also got my issue 73. Really like the free booklet, however as already mentioned it would have been useful to know the geographical location of the bars in each country. Anyone know of any good ones in New York city?

Without a doubt the Brandy Library would be one!!

http://brandylibrary.com/sections2007/home.htm

Look at the whisky list :shock: :dead:

In New York, though I unfortunately missed visiting, Keen's Steakhouse has an impressive collection of whisky and good food too.
Di Blasi

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:23 pm

mine arrived today so not bad .... I used to be at least a month behind the UK for some reason but it has been virtually on the 2 week mark for the past 2 or 3 issues this one is about a 2.5 weeks. Can't complain about that.

Finally the last in the Trilogy of articles on Ireland's Distilleries. Bushmills being the focus, look forward to reading that.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:50 pm

Hopefully I'll be getting mine too one of these days! It seems it's been a little while since the first got theirs, so I could be next.
Di Blasi

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:45 am

I finally finished reading Issue 73 and on page 47, middle paragraph, a comment really struck a chord with me.
It starts with the line "Which brings us onto the issue of choice." and goes on about reallocation to higher price markets, concluding with the following line:

" Of course we want to make hay while the sun shines...but nobody knows how long this current boom will last and you don't want to burn bridges with loyal customers for a quick gain" (Italics mine)

I have voiced my concerns on this very point before on these forums. I perceive a drop in availability of Single Malts to the detriment of some older, once loyal sectors of the global market to the benefit of new markets that have opened.

I am what I consider a knowledgeable and, up 'til now, dedicated collector and drinker of Single Malts. My personal collection is not large but contains 150+ bottles with very few duplicates.

From my position in the market, I see the bridges aflame and once loyal customers turning to other products to meet their required needs. Perhaps our version of phylloxera is this headlong rush to distribute to newly opened markets, burning those very bridges to loyal customers for a quick gain!

Perhaps American Borbon, Canadian Rye or even Tequila will fill the vacuum caused by the paucity of Single Malts in older established markets. Can the whisky makers chance that eventuality while they are jostling each other in pursuit of a quick gain?

Personally, I am redirecting some of my funds once intended for Single Malts, that are no longer available, into the purchase of finer sipping Rums.

I applaud Whisky Magazine being courageous enough to provide this analysis and present the views of some anonymous senior whisky marketing persons. I trust their courage will not go unheeded for too much longer.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder