Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whiskyt Meet

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Whiskyt Meet

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:08 pm

Wow, what an evening! Went to my first whisky festival ever, and I've had a smashing time so far. First up was a Bowmore Masterclass hosted by Nick Ravenhall. He's certainly a very charismatic person and manages to fully involve all participants. I loved the tasting which included the 12, the 15, the 18 (which was less of a character than the previous 17 imo) , a 16 Port Finished, a 16 Bourdeaux finished and finally the 25. This lineup demands respect. It's all about balance rather than the "full on peat in your face experience" so often associated with single malts from Islay. The Bourdeax finished 16 Cask Strength was very interesting - and also quite good. It reminded me of the smell you get when firing a toy gun and something remotely "earthy" - something you'd expect to find in a wine. Going back to the 25 was indeed a fantastic experience where the succulent ripe flavours of apple and pears felt like a dry fresh white wine. Fantastic!

I was also lucky to have a chat with Di Blasi and Misako Udo - and I'll be attending both their Masterclasses tomorrow.

Other highlights of the evening included Glenmorangie Signet and the Astar, and on Misako Udo's recommendation; Yamazaki 18 :thumbsup:

A great evening and I'm looking forward to tomorrow!
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Whiskyt Meet

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:53 am

Right now I'm enjoying the fab Longrow 10 100 Proof but I've had a few good ones before that.

Today I went to the second day at my first whisky festival. I've been to two masterclasses and have met a lot of nice people. The first masterclass was with our own Mr Di Blasi and it was great. It has to be said that his class was in line with the tastings he used to host at Altona a few years ago - and all the better for it; less class and more dialogue. We tasted Highland Park 12, 18, 25 and the 30. My fave was the 18 and the 30 - simply more going on and the added benefit of bourbon casks in the vatting did it for me. Later on I was also offered a fantastic sample from a 12yo single cask Highland Park bottled for a bar called Dr Jekyll's. It's safe to say it's well placed among the greatest whiskies I've ever tasted!

I was also lucky to secure a place at Misako Udo's Masteclass on Japanese whisky! She's an adorable woman with such an incredible charisma - and the knowledge she shares with you as well as the enthusiastic way it's communicated simply has to be experienced! It took two hours and then we were hushed away - but I could have stayed for another two hours if we were allowed to stay. She also signed my copy of her book and I had a nice chat with her. Apart from the single cask version of Highland Park the Japanese whiskies were hard to beat; Yamazaki 12 and 18 - both of which were lovely, Hakushu 12 and 18 which were fantastic (I think I prefer the 12 which was stunning) and the star of the show; Hibiki 17 and also the 21. The 17 was the dark horse of the evening. It really took me by surprise and I MUST find a bottle of this fabulous blend. Later on I also tasted the super premium blend Hibiki 30 and although it was nice it still didn't match the 17. Unfortunately I was running out of time and vouchers when I got to the Yamazaki 25 but I managed a sniff and the scents were awesome. I have to try that on as well later on.

I also had a brief chat with the organiser Chris Maile - which also organise and host the Oslo Whisky Festival - my next festival!

It seems I've had the chance to taste a few lovely japanese whiskies tonight. Apart from the ones already mentioned I also very impressed by the Nikka Coffey Malt and also Karuizawa 1973 Single Cask.

I'm looking forward to next year already - and Oslo Whisky Festival of course!

I forgot to mention I also tasted a splendid Bruichladdich 1991 from Berry Bros & Rudd which reminded me of the old Bruichladdich 10; lovely scents of overripe pears and apple but the BBR was much more intense on the palate. The guy at the stand also suggested citrus peel and I think I found that too.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:30 pm

I didn't take any pictures but I have at least one from Misako Udo's Masterclass:

Mr Fjeld

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:37 pm

Mr Fjeld:
It looks to me that you had a fabulous time of enjoying whisky and hooking up with old and new friends.

It's very interesting that the festivities were spread over a couple of days. Other organisers may want to bear this in mind- although I'm not sure my liver could stand the extra punishment.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us- no longer a virgin eh? (Whisky Live virgin!)

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:29 pm

Careful there, Musky--you appear to be abusing our benevolent host's trademark.
Deactivated Member

Postby pkt77242 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:17 am

Sounds like you had a great time Mr. Fjeld. It made me really thirst reading about it.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Knolly » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:13 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:Mr Fjeld:
It looks to me that you had a fabulous time of enjoying whisky and hooking up with old and new friends.

It's very interesting that the festivities were spread over a couple of days. Other organisers may want to bear this in mind- although I'm not sure my liver could stand the extra punishment.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us- no longer a virgin eh? (Whisky Live virgin!)

Musky

I really like the fact that the Victoria Whisky Festival is spread over three days. Sure, most of the action happens on Saturday, but the overall event gives you time to meet up and talk with old friends and make some new ones too. It also allows you to get "warmed up" on Friday afternoon / evening and then go full bore on Saturday, then chill out again on Sunday. It's a great pace and makes much more sense for serious enthusiasts, though it does cost more as you have to factor in accommodation during the event. That being said, i don't think that's an issue because it sells out very quickly every year!

Mr. Fjeld: glad that you had a chance to go to this festival! You should try and go back to it each year for the next couple of years as you'll probably find that you'll get even more out of the festival. Perhaps not just in the tasting classes, but by becoming better friends with other enthusiasts. I know that this year at the Victoria Festival people were bringing a lot of different bottles with them and there was a lot of taste sampling and socializing going on in hotel rooms outside of the official festival activities.

Cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:03 pm

Yes, I see what you mean. Lots of new people to talk to and meet again next year. Glad I went - and looking forward to Oslo Whisky Festival next autumn.
:thumbsup:
Mr Fjeld

Postby terminus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:26 pm

¨Hi - I have to correct Mr.Fjeld on one point.
The orginazer of WhiskyMeet in Bergen is not Chris Maile.
It is the Terminus barmanager Frode Harring that hosted this festival.

Best regards
Frode 8)
terminus

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:38 pm

terminus wrote:¨Hi - I have to correct Mr.Fjeld on one point.
The orginazer of WhiskyMeet in Bergen is not Chris Maile.
It is the Terminus barmanager Frode Harring that hosted this festival.

Best regards
Frode 8)

Thanks for the correction - It was a great event nonetheless :) I'll be back next year.
Mr Fjeld

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder