Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Dave Broom coming to Toronto??

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Dave Broom coming to Toronto??

Postby hp4ever » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:12 am

Hi there,

The manager at my local LCBO told me that Dave Broom was going to be coming to Toronto to do a tasting. He didn't have specific details but suggested I would find the details at this website. I've looked all over but so far nothing so I've signed up to this network. Does anyone here know more about this? I would definitely like to attend.
hp4ever

Re: Dave Broom coming to Toronto??

Postby peshkipo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:38 pm

Hey hp4ever,
Dave Broom is indeed coming to Toronto at an event called Spirit of Toronto held at Roy Thomson Hall. It is scheduled for May 8th. More details on this event can be found here http://www.spiritoftoronto.ca/

Hope this helps,

Joey
peshkipo

Postby hp4ever » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:43 pm

Thanks Joey, I did a search on Google and also came up with that website, I am new to the enjoyment of malts so do not yet know about all the different resources on the web.

Hal
hp4ever

Postby Peter Alcamo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:55 pm

Looking forward to meeting Dave at the Spirit of Toronto. Just received my tickets for his early bird show and his masterclass. "The Rare Old and Exquisite" "The Silent Stills of Scotland".

Also bought tickets for three friends who don't know who he is :roll: ; I just keep telling them how fortunate they are.

Its always great to meet people who are a big part of one of your passions :D .
Peter Alcamo

Postby Lawrence » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:39 am

Peter Alcamo wrote:Looking forward to meeting Dave at the Spirit of Toronto. Just received my tickets for his early bird show and his masterclass. "The Rare Old and Exquisite" "The Silent Stills of Scotland".

Also bought tickets for three friends who don't know who he is :roll: ; I just keep telling them how fortunate they are.

Its always great to meet people who are a big part of one of your passions :D .

Peter, we've picked the same classes, see you next Friday.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Peter Alcamo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:54 am

Lawrence, I'll see you there.
Peter Alcamo

Postby Peter Alcamo » Sat May 09, 2009 7:49 pm

Had a great time last night at the Spirit of Toronto. The masterclass presented by Dave Broom on "Silent Stills" (Rosebank. Glencraig, Convalmore and Port Ellen) was the highlight of the night for me. Got Dave to sign my Handbook of Whisky and later that night, he dated it on the advice of Ed Patrick - Ed says I can now sell the book on e-bay, LOL :D .

It was great to see Wendy, who introduced me to Froddo and Lain and re-introduced me to Mark and Lawrence.
Peter Alcamo

Postby Frodo » Sun May 10, 2009 1:18 am

Hi Peter:

I was sorry not to have taken more time to talk with you about common interests - whisky and cigars. The format of the evening wasn't exactly condusive to leisurely conversation so hopefully our mutual friend might be willing to set up a meeting sometime in the convenient future?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Peter Alcamo » Sun May 10, 2009 4:24 pm

Frodo wrote:Hi Peter:

I was sorry not to have taken more time to talk with you about common interests - whisky and cigars. The format of the evening wasn't exactly condusive to leisurely conversation so hopefully our mutual friend might be willing to set up a meeting sometime in the convenient future?

That would be great Frodo :smoke: .
Peter Alcamo

Postby Lawrence » Mon May 11, 2009 4:52 am

Peter Alcamo wrote:Had a great time last night at the Spirit of Toronto. The masterclass presented by Dave Broom on "Silent Stills" (Rosebank. Glencraig, Convalmore and Port Ellen) was the highlight of the night for me. Got Dave to sign my Handbook of Whisky and later that night, he dated it on the advice of Ed Patrick - Ed says I can now sell the book on e-bay, LOL :D .

It was great to see Wendy, who introduced me to Froddo and Lain and re-introduced me to Mark and Lawrence.

It was great to catch up with everybody once again, how quickly a year passes. I agree with Frodo that's it's a challenge to chat when we're all so busy dramming away like mad. Lots of great whiskies, a big surprise was the 'new' Macallan 10 Fine Oak; they've tweaked it for the better IMHO and then there was the Canadian Club 20yo, very nice!

The Glen Parker afterwards in the Elephant & Castle was....different however with my palate over worked I will reserve final judgement until I try it again under more controlled circumstances.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 11, 2009 5:24 am

You went to the Elephant and Castle? And drank Glen Parker?!? Poor misguided souls...had I been there, things would surely have been different!
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon May 11, 2009 5:30 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:You went to the Elephant and Castle? And drank Glen Parker?!? Poor misguided souls...had I been there, things would surely have been different!

But Mr T, you only call me misguided because you've had Glen Parker, no? Now we both know.

It would have been great to see you again, we need to make it happen.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 11, 2009 4:38 pm

Actually, I've never had Glen Parker, but Frodo has--see this thread. Reviews like that stick in the mind. I assume that either he wasn't with you, either, or else he was being his usual impish self....

Hopefully our paths will cross again somewhere, Lawrence.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon May 11, 2009 4:54 pm

Frodo was there but his warning was too late; the deed was done. However since I go out of my way to try lots of different whiskies his warning, if delivered earlier, would have simply spurred me on to try it. In any case, now I know. I suspect it must have been sold to the LCBO based merely on price point.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder