Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Festivals - tips?

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Whisky Festivals - tips?

Postby berkeley » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:09 pm

Hello all! I'd like your input on how to get the most out of whisky festivals. I'm a new member, and I'll be going to my first festival in October (WhiskyFest San Francisco). I'd like to get some idea of what to expect, particularly around:

- Is it OK to spit, or is that frowned upon?
- How many whiskies do you try to taste in one night?
- Are there any solid online tasting note templates that one can download / bring to the event?

Any other tips & thoughts are most welcome. Many thanks!
berkeley

Re: Whisky Festivals - tips?

Postby ClubSmed » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:55 pm

I have found in my limited experience that it is better to go in a small group and all get a different whisky at each stand and pass them around. That way you do not get too drunk and get to try more whiskies. The measures they tend to pour are a little too generous sometimes, which at first does not seem like a bad thing but as time goes on....
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:45 pm

Before you go, try to find out what distilleries will be there so you can decide which stands you definately want to visit. And go to those ones first, while your palate's clean and your thoughts are clear. And make notes, even though you know it's nerdy :)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby shulaw05 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:06 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:Before you go, try to find out what distilleries will be there so you can decide which stands you definately want to visit. And go to those ones first, while your palate's clean and your thoughts are clear. And make notes, even though you know it's nerdy :)

i've been to whiskyfest NY and Chi - and take this advice. make a plan of attack. if you get through what you wanted to try then just walk around and sample anything else that strikes your fancy. as for spitting, i don't think it is frowned upon, i see lots of people spitting. every table has a couple of waste buckets for you to wash out your glass and/or spit. the food at whiskyfest is excellent as well (at least the 2 i went to), so you might want to hit your favorite tables first, then take a break to eat, and then drink some more. either way you'll have a blast.
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby lohssanami » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:13 am

I will be going to the Whisky Fest this year in SF, and having been there last year, I can say that you'll enjoy this event.

The best thing is to browse the "Whisky Pour List" that will be on the web prior to the event. That way you can make a plan of attack for the begining of the evening. You will also be able to see what will be offered during the VIP hour, and then make a decision whether it is worth it to you or not. Here is a link that should have it in the future, and you can browse the list from 2008 to see what you might expect in variety.

http://www.maltadvocate.com/docs/whiskyfest/san_francisco/whisky_list.aspx

My only tip would be to not try anything you've already tasted. Unless of course, it's a whisky you will probably not be able to taste in the future, such as some of the VIP offerings.

At my first event, I let the excitement get the best of me, and I drank far too much. Just spread out your sampling, and include lots of water, food and conversation in between. Last year's Whisky Fest was my second event, and I followed this practice and had a great evening.

:thumbsup:
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby berkeley » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:32 am

Thanks all - great suggestions. Much appreciate the good pointers for a newbie like myself! I'll definitely map out the plan of attack and look forward to comparing notes on this forum after the event.

Everybody have a great night!

:sleep:
berkeley

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder