Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Springbank/BenRiach tasting - Scottsdale, AZ July 12

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Springbank/BenRiach tasting - Scottsdale, AZ July 12

Postby jhershauer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:44 am

The Sportsman's in Scottsdale, AZ is having a Springbank/BenRiach tasting from 6-8 pm on Sunday, July 12th.

For $35, you get 7 whisky samples, a Reidel "O" spirits glass, and a $10 off coupon for a purchase that night.

RSVP at 480-948-0520

Featured whiskies:

Springbank 10 100 proof
Springbank 15
BenRiach "Arumaticus Fumosus" Peated 12 year/ Dark Rum Finish
BenRiach "Herodotus Fumosus" Peated 12 year / Pedro Ximenez Finish
BenRiach 15 year / Pedro Ximenez Finish
BenRiach 15 year / Madeira Finish
BenRiach 15 year / Dark Rum Finish

I'm signed up. Any (either?) of you other AZ forum members up for it?

Jeff
jhershauer
Silver Member

Re: Springbank/BenRiach tasting - Scottsdale, AZ July 12

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:57 am

Jeff, I will be there too. Looking forward to it as I have not had any of these whiskies before.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:59 am

Aaron, are you going to go?

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby jhershauer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:57 am

pkt77242 wrote:Jeff, I will be there too. Looking forward to it as I have not had any of these whiskies before.

Sean

Cool. These are all new to me as well.
jhershauer
Silver Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:31 am

met up with Jeff(jhershauer) at the tasting, and had a good time. The Springbanks were slightly disappointing though.

10yo 100 proof. Coconut, macadamia nut, vanilla, and biscuit. very salty. Ok but a very short finish. W/ water more biscuit and pancake.

15yo. slight sherry, some maltiness and salt, slight fruit. Also some smole on the palate and finish. Water brings out more fruit (strawberry).

At the end of the tasting we got to sample the Benriach 21 peated authenticus which was the star of the night. A wonderful smokey whisky. I might have to pick up a bottle of this down the line.
Will post notes on the Benriachs we tried during the Benriach tasting next weekend.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby jhershauer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:59 am

Good stuff at the tasting tonight...well, except for one of them. I'm just going to link to my blog where I posted notes: http://tinyurl.com/luqlwf

They really moved things along tonight...too fast for Sean and me. We were three drinks behind at one point. They need to slow down and let us enjoy them.

I bought a bottle of BenRiach Arumaticus Fumosus Peated Malt (12 year). 46% abv, non-chill filtered and natural color.

Jeff
jhershauer
Silver Member

Postby pkt77242 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:41 am

jhershauer wrote:Good stuff at the tasting tonight...well, except for one of them. I'm just going to link to my blog where I posted notes: http://tinyurl.com/luqlwf

They really moved things along tonight...too fast for Sean and me. We were three drinks behind at one point. They need to slow down and let us enjoy them.

I bought a bottle of BenRiach Arumaticus Fumosus Peated Malt (12 year). 46% abv, non-chill filtered and natural color.

Jeff

They did go way too fast, there were a couple of other people who fell behind as well.

Jeff, the review on your blog was great.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby TRAnnudi » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:51 pm

The Sportsman's in Scottsdale, AZ is having a Springbank/BenRiach tasting from 6-8 pm on Sunday, July 12th.

Enjoyed the blog on this event and hoping it might be annual and this year's is coming soon? Anyone know where to find upcoming events in Scottsdale / Phoenix area?
TRAnnudi

Postby JulieTennison » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:27 am

going to a trip in Phoenix/Scottsdale with friends. Find any cool restaurants/whiskey bars while you were there??? Any suggestions.
Also if you are ever in Norfolk, VA are , check out Still in Portsmouth. Amazing selection and a jewel
JulieTennison

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:43 am

JulieTennison wrote:going to a trip in Phoenix/Scottsdale with friends. Find any cool restaurants/whiskey bars while you were there??? Any suggestions.
Also if you are ever in Norfolk, VA are , check out Still in Portsmouth. Amazing selection and a jewel

Magnum's at 7th St and Union Hills in North Phoenix has a great whisky selection as long as you can handle the smoke (it is a cigar bar as well) as they have around 200+ whiskies.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:03 am

JulieTennison wrote:going to a trip in Phoenix/Scottsdale with friends. Find any cool restaurants/whiskey bars while you were there??? Any suggestions.

Wish I would have known about this when I had to work a week back there.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby JulieTennison » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:20 am

Thanks! We are staying at the W in Scottsdale so maybe we will head over to Phoenix. I don't like cigar smoke but may be worth it. Yes, STILL in Portsmouth is amazing. It's like a speak-easy. Warm and cozy
JulieTennison

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder