Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg Takes Texas

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Ardbeg Takes Texas

Postby bcrossan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:44 am

For my fellow Texans.......

The Ardbeg Texas Committee Chapter invites you to join us for a week of peaty festivities.
We are thrilled to welcome Davinia Small-Vitrac, Ardbeg Evangelist and member of the Whisky
Creation Team, to Texas. Her visit will be all too brief, but that's all the more reason to
partake in these gatherings and savor the Untamed Spirit of Islay with us.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 16TH
What's On: SIGELS LIQUOR ARDBEG TASTING
Time: 6:00PM - 7:30PM
Special Guest: Davinia Small-Vitrac
RSVP: Call Joe Gavos at Tel. (214) 350-1271 for further details
Savor: A selection of Ardbeg

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 19TH
What's On: TWIN LIQUOR ARDBEG TASTING
Time: 4:00PM - 6:30PM
RSVP: Call Tel. (512) 451-7400 for further details
Savor: A selection of Ardbeg

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 18TH
What's On: RESERVE 101 BAR ARDBEG TASTING
Time: 6:00PM - 8:00PM
RSVP: Call Mike at Tel. (713) 655-7101 for further details
Savor: A selection of Ardbeg. Appetizers served
bcrossan
Silver Member

Re: Ardbeg Takes Texas

Postby lohssanami » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:10 am

OK, what's it going to take to get an Ardbeg schedule in California?

Bryan, I assume you'll be going to the Twin Liquor tasting, yes?
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby bcrossan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:26 am

lohssanami wrote:OK, what's it going to take to get an Ardbeg schedule in California?

Bryan, I assume you'll be going to the Twin Liquor tasting, yes?

Dunno yet... 4 PM is a goofy time... and Twin only has 10, Oogie, and ANB and all of those are here with me.... so I am still debating
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby Holysinner » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:06 pm

Thanks for posting this Bryan, Twin hadn't put this on their event calendar until today.

I called before they posted it, and while the clerk I spoke to didn't have a lot of info, as of now the event is free and at their tasting bar, rather than a seminar that requires reservation. So you should be able to drop by any time before 6:30 if you want to meet Davinia (I do!).

They didn't have a list of what will be poured, but from my experience brand reps often bring and pour bottles that the store doesn't carry (Glenfarclas and Balvenie both did), so there may be more than just the three you mention on offer. Hopefully they'll know the pour list closer to the event if you want to call.

Edit: Hmm...the Twin event listing shows 4:30-6:30 but the text says 3-4pm, and they also list a JD (Single Barrel and Gentleman Jack) tasting at 5-8pm for the same day...so maybe that pushed Ardbeg to the earlier time. Have to call again to clarify.
Holysinner
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:38 am

Yes, Lohss, it would really be good to ge the Ardie rep in CA. Serious corruption of the rep. And hopefully corruption of the Ardbeg Committtee CA.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Holysinner » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:25 am

I went to the Ardbeg tasting today, and got to sample the TEN, Airigh Nam Beist, Corryvreckan, and Uigeadail (the only Ardbeg I'd had before). I loved the citrus and smoke of the TEN, and the finish on the Corry is fabulous (so long!). The Beist didn't do a lot for me (very dry), maybe on a fresh palate it would have impressed. Davinia was charming and spoke lyrically of Islay, thanks!

The nose of the TEN, the palate of Uigeadail, and finish of Corry would make just about the perfect whisky. Hmmm...I'll have to start building my Ardbeg inventory to try such a vatting.

Also had a chance to try Gentleman Jack and Jack Daniels Single Barrel. GJ had a surprising nose - bubblegum and fruit candy. Easy drinking but maybe a bit too sweet. The SB had good combination of wood spices, caramel and a hint of charcoal. Shattered my preconceptions of JD, I'll like to give a bottle a go sometime.
Holysinner
Silver Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:53 am

lohssanami wrote:OK, what's it going to take to get an Ardbeg schedule in California?

LOL Tim ! We (in Newcastle) are only 256 miles as you drive (don't know what we are as the crow flys...) from Islay and we can't get LVMH to do a proper Ardbeg tasting in Newcastle . Now if you lived in Edinburgh you would keep falling over Ardbeg tastings.......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder