Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Whisky Lounge Unofficial Ardbeg Toon Tasting!

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

The Whisky Lounge Unofficial Ardbeg Toon Tasting!

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:14 pm

After such a great year of Tastings and Festival in Newcastle Eddie has decided to do a special tasting to end the Year , seeing MHUK doesn't seem interested in doing a tasting in the Toon yet , here's one for the Ardbeg Connoisseurs , in his words .......

Hi All,

Good news!
I was about to say I am sorry to drop this on you, but I suspect most of you will thank me for it! Many of you have requested, nae demanded, that I present one more tasting before Xmas. Not good enough for you is it that I have a wonderful - and it will be wonderful - Whisky and Dinner event coming up this Friday (a few tickets still available!), but no...
...you want more!!!

Well, I have deliberated. I have asked serious questions of myself. I have mulled it over with a dram or twelve.

I have made my decision...but the real decision is in your hands!

If at least 20 of you good people sign up for the following, then the tasting will go ahead. If not, it won't - simple as that. This is an exclusive, once in a lifetime opportunity, never to be repeated tasting that frankly should require no selling on my part!
Anyway, here we go...

Ardbeg - The Ultimalt Underground Vertical Tasting, Part 1
Friday 11th December 2009
Blackfriars, Friar Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne
7.30pm, £30 per ticket

Very Young Ardbeg was launched in 2003 purely for members of the Ardbeg 'Committee' and then upon their 'approval' (apologies for all the ' '), a commercial bottling was released in 2004. Still Young followed in 2006, Almost There in 2007, Renaissance in 2008 and now the brand new 10 Year Old is firmly established.
We will be tasting all six of these remarkable drams - including the Committee 'For Discussion' bottling - and talking all things Ardbeg on this very night. Most of these whiskies are now extremely hard to get hold of, and in some cases would cost you the same as a workable used car, so this really is a very rare opportunity - even as Brand Ambassador for Ardbeg and Glenmorangie I was never able to assemble such an amazing array of young Ardbegs.
One thing you should know...
All of these whiskies, bar the 10 Year Old, are bottled at cask strength, so this is not a tasting for the faint of heart.

In respect to the whiskies involved, and to the people willing to come along, I will only be selling 30 tickets as a maximum. Please do not hesitate - in order to be fair to Blackfriars and those already signed up, I need to know of your booking by this Friday. If you want it bad enough, this tasting will happen!

I look forward to hearing from you very soon!

Cheers,
Eddie

Eddie Ludlow
Whisky Evangelist

thewhiskylounge
http://www.thewhiskylounge.com
eddie@thewhiskylounge.com
07515 854210
01904 466227

Seems like a good idea to me !
Now i've never done a tasting like this , except at home..... so i reckon it'll be a nice little Christmas treat given the line up......
Ardbeg Very Young "For Discussion"
Ardbeg Very Young "Committee Approved"
Ardbeg Still Young
Ardbeg Almost There
Ardbeg Renaissance
Ardbeg 10yo (Recent Release)
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Re: The Whisky Lounge Unofficial Ardbeg Toon Tasting!

Postby Ganga » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:46 am

Sounds great Gordon. Please let us know how things go.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Spirit of Islay » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:12 pm

Hi Rich ,
we are looking at possibly posting live updates from the tasting (no doubt the typing will improve as the evening goes on......NOT!) , will let you know the details closer to the date .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:25 pm

The Good news is that Eddie reached the Critical mass for the tasting so Ardbegs are Go ! There are still a few places available .
We've been talking about doing Live postings from the Tasting on the SOI Forum and on Twitter so barring any Technical Difficulties you should be able to follow it on Warehouse No.4 and on Twitter.....while someone can type........ :dead:
Just a reminder about the line up......
Ardbeg New Make
Ardbeg Very Young "For Discussion"
Ardbeg Very Young "Committee Approved"
Ardbeg Still Young
Ardbeg Almost There
Ardbeg Renaissance
Ardbeg Ten
And i believe also Ardbeg Corryvreckan......
If you don't like Ardbeg it could be a tough night....... :headbang: Image

what a cracking way to celebrate the last tasting of the Year ! :thumbsup:
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:50 am

I'll try to join up later in the day if the work schedule is permitting.

I don't have the "New Make" or "VYFD", but I have the others opened and ready.

:thumbsup:
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder