Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Belgium: 2 festivals on the same weekend? 5-6-7 FEB'10

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Belgium: 2 festivals on the same weekend? 5-6-7 FEB'10

Postby charlie7 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:59 pm

I just recently learnt that there are 2 festivals coming up in Belgium during the same weekend, 5-6-7th of February 2010:

http://www.whiskyfestival.be in Gent

Entrance fee 25/30 EUR, including tasting glass and entrance to the Scottish fair next door. I seem to understand that samples of "cheap" malts (~ < 45 EUR/bottle) are free, more expensive ones are available for a (small?) price (it seems last year the entrance fee included 5 dram vouchers, not sure about this year?).

http://www.whisky-live.be in Spa

Entrance fee is 20/25 EUR, but (this might be silly but I've never attended something like this) it's not quite clear if that includes free sampling... the website mentions that there will be 450 malts to sample but doesn't state if they're free. It does say there will be 300 "old" malts that can be sampled at a cost- so I'm assuming the not-so-old ones are free...?

Does anyone here have any experience with either festival? Any opinions, recommendations?

thanks in advance
C7
charlie7

Re: Belgium: 2 festivals on the same weekend? 5-6-7 FEB'10

Postby vision*R » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:27 pm

I've never been to Whisky Live but I can assure you the festival in Gent is certainly worth it. Lots of exhibitors and usually a few launches of new things as well. Minor downside is that it's quite popular and it may be difficult to reach the tables because they're crowded...

This may interest you:
Whisky Festival Gent - free tickets
vision*R

Re: Belgium: 2 festivals on the same weekend? 5-6-7 FEB'10

Postby laddie teun » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:54 pm

been to Gent last weekend. Was a very enjoyable weekend as always. Although the fair it self was perhaps it bit less good as preious years. Were some importers missing. And saturday was a bit crowded. But a highly enjoyable weekend!
laddie teun
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder