Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie/Glenfiddich Tasting in Phoenix, AZ

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Balvenie/Glenfiddich Tasting in Phoenix, AZ

Postby orangedogofglory » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:36 pm

Magnum's is excited to bring you a very special evening with Mr. Andrew Weir, the US Ambassador for Balvenie and Mr. Ray Pearson, the US Ambassador for Glenfiddich Single Malt Scotches. This Tuesday, January 26th at 7pm we will be releasing two very anticipated single malts for 2010. The first will be the 2010 Balveinie 17yr old Madeira Finish.

The Balvenie Madeira Cask was aged exclusively in traditional American oak whisky casks before being transferred to barrels previously used in the production of fortified Madeira wine. The deep, luxurious aromas translate into an equally rewarding flavor. Initial sweet vanilla oak notes gradually develop into rich spices and dried fruits (apricots, figs, dates). In addition to the Balveine Madeira cask we will also be tasting the full range of Balvenie Single Malt Scotches, which will include, the Balveinie 12yr double wood, 15yr single barrel, 2009 17yr rum cask, and the 21yr port wood.

In addition to tasting the Balveine, we will be tasting the full range of Glenfiddich, including the newest special release, Glenfiddich Distillery Edition.

Matured in American and European oak casks, including Oloroso sherry casks, which add to its truly exceptional and distinct character, Glenfiddich 'Distillery Edition' boasts a deep, golden barley color. Its delicate floral aroma is punctuated with hints of freshly ground black pepper and vanilla. Creamily smooth on the palate, these floral and spicy black pepper notes gently mingle with luscious fruit and a hint of sherry wood, lazily lingering to a sweet and warm, velvety finish. In addition to the Glenfiddich Distillery Edition, we will also be tasting the full range of Glenfiddich Single Malt Scotches, which will include, Glenfiddich 12yr, 15yr French oak reserve, 18yr, 21yr archive, and completing with the very rare 30yr.

The cigar sponsor for this event will be La Aurora. They have been pioneering cigars in the Dominican Republic for over 100 years. Producing cigars such as the Preferidos, where they age the filler and binder leaves in old rum casks, to give the cigar a new level of depth and complexity. We specifically chose La Aurora Cigars to complement the full spectrum of flavors these Scotches will deliver.

Quasi-exciting. The Glenfiddich 30yo looks interesting... but will it be there????
:evil: :iwbrnt: :?

Not sure if I will be available, but if I am I will go to this.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Re: Balvenie/Glenfiddich Tasting in Phoenix, AZ

Postby orangedogofglory » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:22 pm

Made it to this.

I hate to rub it in to those who didn't attend and/or weren't able to make it, but this was the best tasting event I have been to! By far!
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby jhershauer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:32 am

orangedogofglory wrote:Made it to this.

I hate to rub it in to those who didn't attend and/or weren't able to make it, but this was the best tasting event I have been to! By far!

Yeah, it looked really interesting, but I've decided that tastings at Magnum's aren't for me. I can hardly tell any difference between the expressions with a room full of cigar smoke. Well, that and the fact that I was physically ill for 24 hours following the last one.

So, what made this the best tasting ever? The expressions on hand? The presentation?

Thanks,
Jeff
jhershauer
Silver Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:19 am

No doubt - you definitely have to have an appetite for the smoke, or be able to adjust your palate accordingly.

The range was interesting (as presented). Both Ray Pearson and Andy Weir were there, both went through excellent presentations/commentary. Lots of distillery info direct from the source, etc.

Plus, thanks to Amar, Andy arranged/offered for me to try the Balvenie 17 Islay Cask - which is the only one I don't have of the 17 year releases. I'm now on the hunt for 2 or 3 bottles of this!

I had a nice one-off conversation with Andy and Ray, too, which was a lot of fun and very informative.

All in all it was just very well run, and a fun event. I've been to a handful of tastings now and this was my favorite of all of them.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:40 am

Damn. I had no babysitter till my wife got cancelled that morning but it was too late by then.

:x
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby orangedogofglory » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:46 am

Tasting notes from the night:

Glenfiddich 30: spice on nose, vanilla and honey on palate, as well as light oak, spice, and syrup, absolutely no spirit impact, finish is sweet but short. Incredible but unfortunately short.
Glenfiddich 21: caramel, bananas, and sherry on the nose. Sherry and rum on the palate, very similar to the bal 17 rum but with a more sugary taste, almost like an older rum. Longer rum finish.
Glenfiddich 12: much more oak on the nose. Oak and spice on the palate, bit of toffee. Bit of spirit on the finish, but that's expected with the age. Less spirit with higher quantity, oddly enough.
Glenfiddich 18: oak but more spice on the nose. Oak comes out more in the palate, almost a hint of sherry? Spice and something sweet like bourbon, along with oak on the finish.
Glenfiddich 15: strong sherry on the nose along with hints of spice. Oak and sherry on the palate, along with light hints of almond and toffee. Bit of water brings out the spice and oak, with hints of honey
Glenfiddich DE 102: nose does not give away the alcohol, has spice and sherry. Smooth on the palate like the glenlivet nadurra. Spice, light honey, oak on the palate. A little bit of water brings out honey. Bit of spirit on the finish, spice lasts a little while along with oak.

Balvenie 12 DW: nose has honey and strong sherry, bit of spice. Sherry and honey on the nose, hints of spice and vanilla. Smoother than I remember (been a while, sadly), with a sherry and spirit finish that lingers.
Balvenie 15 SB Cask 11072: this cask is very mild on the nose, honey and no spirit, light spice and oak. Palate has more vanilla with a very mild floral note, little bit of oranges. Strong oak with a bit of spirit on the long finish.
Balvenie 17 Rum: cane sugar on the nose. Very smooth, brown sugar, caramel and bananas, tastes like bananas foster and creme brule. Sweet rum mid-term finish.
Balvenie 17 Madeira: raisins and oak on the nose. Mature and ripe fruit on the palate, along with honey. Fruity finish.
Balvenie 21 Portwood: nose is sweet and rich, with chocolate, oak, almond, and butter. Raisins, orange, lemon, vanilla, light grass on the palate. Port influence is obvious with a syrupy-sweetness. Thick legs. Finish is long and sweet bringing out the oak and honey. Also very smooth with, of course, the taste of port.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby ethanparker » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:22 am

Does anyone know where I can find Cheyenne little cigars near Phoenix, Arizona? If yes then please tell me about it.

little cigars in Phoenix, Arizona
ethanparker

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder