Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

SMWSA Extravaganza

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

SMWSA Extravaganza

Postby Jobi » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:11 am

I'm considering going to my first Extravaganza this year. Can anyone who has been before give me your impressions? Comparisons to other whisky events?
Jobi
Gold Member

Re: SMWSA Extravaganza

Postby Ryguy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:18 pm

Jobi,

Sorry for not responding sooner. I must have missed this one. :oops:

The SMWS puts on a very nice event. I have been to one in Boston and I very much enjoyed it. It's an unlimited tasting, no vouchers or anything like that. In fact, I remember visiting some tables more than once. They say the food is exceptional as well (no extra charge, it's included in with your ticket). I can't speak from experience there, as I didn't eat at the event I attended (so much whisky, so little time). My only gripe was the fact that it was so short. There is alot of whisky there to try in just 2 1/2 hours. Other than that, it was top notch! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jobi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Thanks for the info Ryan. I had originally thought that the event was exclusively SMWS bottles for sampling, but looking at the website it seems like any another whisky event with the same cast of characters (except for the addition of a SMWS table). Was that the case with the Boston event you went to? I've been to a few different events and do not find them to vary much, so I doubt I'd want to go if this is along the same lines as the others. Thanks again.
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:30 pm

I did forget to mention that they typically have about 5 SMWSA bottles open for taste, but that's it. Aside from that, it's pretty standard to a regular Tasting Event and all of the big players are there. One thing that I've heard about some events is that they limit you on samples (or hand our vouchers) limiting you on how many you can taste. They don't do that here, but they do limit you with time.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby rthomson » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:22 am

I've enjoyed all of the SMWS Extravaganzas I've attended (3) in Seattle. The SMWSA typically has four or five bottles to sample. Many other bottlers are there including Speyside distilleries, Islays, islands, blends, Irish, and Japanese whisky. The buffet has been very well prepared. It is restricted to 2.5 hours or so but I found that more than enough time to sample the drams I wanted to. I've missed the last two or three tastings but I'm sure I'll return.

Cheers,
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby MrAwesome » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:27 am

Hi Jobi! I am a SMWS Member & have attended many events in NYC. They hold it at the Roosevelt Hotel in Manhattan. It's a great time, very good food and plenty of selections to sample. The best is NO Vouchers & they don't limit you on the samplings. You will definitely have a great time, wether you attend with friends, spouse or on your own. I have done all three. It's pretty unanimous in wishing the time should be extended though. But if you want to continue after the event there's always St. Andrews a short walk from the Hotel! It's comming up May 20 th. Cheers! :thumbsup:
MrAwesome

Postby Yellowjacket » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:59 am

A friend and I are attending the event in Houston this Wednesday evening. I will post my impressions afterwards. Looking forward to it.

Bob
Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:19 pm

I visited the SMWSA Whisky Extravaganza in Houston this past Wednesday evening. I had a great time and it was a very enjoyable experience. My past experiences with this type of event is the NY Whisky Fest three years ago and the Chicago Whisky Fest last year. So Whisky Fest (WF) will be my bench mark here. In general the Extravaganza is very similar to WF, on about a two-thirds scale of WF. As I recall, there were no bourbons, and one Irish, one Canadian, and one Japanese represented, the rest being Scotch (not surprising being sponsored by SMWSA). SMWSA had a table and the rest of the tables were the big boys of the Scotch World, although not quite as many as at WF (again, about two-thirds, mostly missing the smaller players). The food was not quite as nice as WF, about half the quantity.

The event began with a discussion panel where guests submitted written questions and about eight company reps and ambassadors responded. This was actually very informative and entertaining. For the actual tasting event, accessibility to company representatives was much better than WF. There were a lot of people at the Extravaganza, but nothing like at WF. Therefore, you were able to talk more and ask more questions. The reps were all very knowledgeable (most were the same reps you see at WF) and very open to your inquiries. The time was not as long as desired - the opening discussion panel was one hour beginning at 5:30. The actual tasting was from 6:30 to 9:00.

Bob
Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:01 pm

rthomson wrote:I've enjoyed all of the SMWS Extravaganzas I've attended (3) in Seattle. The SMWSA typically has four or five bottles to sample. Many other bottlers are there including Speyside distilleries, Islays, islands, blends, Irish, and Japanese whisky. The buffet has been very well prepared. It is restricted to 2.5 hours or so but I found that more than enough time to sample the drams I wanted to. I've missed the last two or three tastings but I'm sure I'll return.

Cheers,
Ron

Ron, I'm going to Seattle in November, are you going?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby rthomson » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:12 am

Lawrence, I'm so sorry; I've been fully remiss in reviewing all the forums here. Well, no, I did not attend the November Extravaganza. I'm not currently listed for the Seattle April 2011 Extravaganza but I could be persuaded if you would like to meet for a dram.

Cheers!
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder