Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Autumn Speyside Whisky Festival

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Autumn Speyside Whisky Festival

Postby SpiritofShetland » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:43 am

So who's coming this time?

The program's not ready yet, but it's hoped that it events will start poping up sometime during June, for a closer look go to the Dufftown pages.

As for me the program is as follows:
19th-21st - London
21st-23rd - Inverness/Brora/Dalmore/Glenmorangie etc
23rd-28th - Dufftown (got tickets for the Seven Stills Tour this year), and then back home to Norway.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:51 pm

See you there.

I'll be difficult to miss as usual.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby ragsrobin » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:24 am

And we'll do our best to make ourselves conspicuous ;)
ragsrobin

Postby susywong » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:10 pm

Wouldn't miss the autumn festival for the world. already warned my parents that they'll see me only for bed and breakfast and the occasional taxi back to Rothes!

See you all there!
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:37 pm

What did you say your talks were about again, Susan?

Stuart, my mate, is probably coming up again but just for Saturday and Sunday.

Just watch our throwing away bucket!
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby susywong » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:35 am

Hi Bruce,
I'm doing a Douglas Laing tasting, a vertical tasting of Rosebank and i'm also doing the 5 Rothes malts. The rothes malts might even get you using your throwing away bucket! Caperdonich and Glen Spey in the same tasting?!!!

susan
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby ragsrobin » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:29 am

Oooh - vertical Rosebank should be interesting (not that the other won't be...). We have a half-bottle of a Signatory bottling - the only Rosebank I've ever tasted - and that, to me, is completly undrinkeable. Tasting notes: Unfit for human consumption...

I'll be interested to see whether it's just that bottling or whether I'll have another distillery to add to my list of "whiskies I don't like" (it's a very short list).
ragsrobin

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:39 am

susywong wrote:Hi Bruce,
I'm doing a Douglas Laing tasting, a vertical tasting of Rosebank and i'm also doing the 5 Rothes malts. The rothes malts might even get you using your throwing away bucket! Caperdonich and Glen Spey in the same tasting?!!!

susan

These things are a matter of professional pride. Never had Caperdonich, I don't think. Glen Spey, I've had once but it was rubbish.

As for Signatory Rosebank, Stuart had a bottle of that though it could have been a different vintage from yours, Ragnhild. His bottling was very pale - almost the colour of white wine. We both thought it was quite good but I can't remember more about it than that.

Was your bottling very pale, Ragnhild?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby ragsrobin » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:04 am

It's pretty pale, yes. I just found the tasting notes I entered in the Norwegian malt whisky society forums (http://www.nmwl.no/forum) and the details are as follows "Rosebank, Signatory 1991, ex-bourbon 12 years, 43%".

It's got a vague hint of detergent or chemicals which makes my instinctive reaction "this is not something you're meant to drink". Arve thought it was drinkable but not particularly good as I recall.
ragsrobin

Postby susywong » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:14 am

Well i guess i'll have to try and change your mind with the vertical tasting eh?
Rosebank is one of my fave whiskies, never had a bad one, but never had a signatory one either!!! :wink:
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:53 pm

I'm also looking forward to the Rosebank-tasting.

Maybe we'll bring the Signatory Rosebank when we pop over - somehow I can't imagine it will be emptied before that.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby ragsrobin » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:53 am

Well, I'm certainly not going to drink it! I might mistake it for detergent and use it to wash my paintbrushes or something though ;)
ragsrobin

Postby susywong » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:14 pm

Surely it can't be that bad? The true test will ocme at the dregs party. If you take it over and it gets left untouched at the dregs, then we'll kniw just how bad it really is!! :D
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:48 pm

I think Stuart liked that one.

I'm sure that's the same bottling he had.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:39 pm

Stuart has more holidays than he thought he had so he will be there for the dregs party.

Be sure to bring your Rosebank because Stuart and I will get rid of it for you.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:58 pm

We will bring it.

Sample it at your own risk.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:34 am

A provisional programme has been published on the Dufftown-pages. it can be read by clicking here

Lot's of highlights this time too. Will be fun to see what gems are hidden in the Douglas Laing-collection. Always fun to sample whiskies from closed distilleries as well as 'new' ones.

Should be a blast as usual.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:14 pm

Decided what events you're going on yet?

Going to the dregs party?

Will you remember any of it?

Wonder if there'll be a report in WM. They don't usually report on the Autumn Festival.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:24 am

Somewhat.

Absolutely.

Doubtful.

We can always hope.

Seven Stills is booked, Susan tastings with Douglas Laing an Rosebank, Marks Cadenhead-tasting on Sunday, a few of Per's and one of Steve's - might even get there in time for the tasting on Thursday.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:10 am

Might go to Thursday's one.

I'll make a late decision on that.

Will see big Stuart about it later today.

Am torn between the Rosebank vertical and Per's last dram. I'll never manage both. I did 2 sessions before the dregs party 2 years ago, felt alright and then found myself sitting bolt upright, having obviously fallen asleep bolt upright, on my bed at about 5 AM. :shock: :?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:27 pm

A bit off-topic admittedly, Arve and Ragnhild, but I thought this link might interest you as these guys were at the Whisky Fringe and could be worth checking out if you are looking for a peaty dram.

http://www.whisky.sageweb.co.uk/

Compass box are bringing out a vatted malt called peat monster which is, apparently Caol Ila and Ardmore.

It was very interesting, with a light body and a crisp medium-peated nose and finish.

You'll probably settle for Ardbeg 10 though......
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:42 am

Have never had anything from Compass Box yet, which is a shame - note to self: Sample Compass Box!

Thanks for the link. I've had The Ileach before (it's available in Sweden) but not the other ones. Also saw some of the Scottish Castles-series in a shop in Zurich earlier this year - for a exuberant amount of money - so I settled for a couple of bottles of Arran instead.

We're both always pleased with a dram of Ardbeg Ten, but the new one is smashing (the Ugi-whatchamacallit). We already hav a bottle in stock, and will get more when it arrives in Norway next month.

Will also try to visit Benriach during the festival - they are also supposedly coming out with a peaty dram quite soon. Linkwood will also be visited (for the third time)...
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:52 pm

Benriach, just reopened with the distillery manager from Tobermory in charge.

I can hardly keep my cash in my wallet at the prospect.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby susywong » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:44 pm

looking forward to the festival, staying in Dufftown this time asround so no more late night drunken phone calls to my mother to to collect me and take me back to Rothes!

See you all on friday!!!
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:43 pm

So who was all there then that posts on this forum?

Just us usual four suspects? :?:
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:12 pm

Susan, can you let me know ASAP what your colleague's reaction to his fellow countrymen's performance in the whisky game and let's also see if I can't ruin his jokes in future events. :twisted:

It would even be worth buying the same jokebook as him just to see his reaction. 8)
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:12 pm

You know we were there, gave you a bit a memory to carry back - and of course the Rosebank.

btw. How's your back Bruce?

Would have liked to stay at dregs longer, but what can a guy do?

Highlights for me was:
* Visit at BenRiach Distillery, got to taste quite a lot of interesting samples. And luckily for us outside the UK their new releases will come at 43% outside the UK (who only get 40%) - the extra 3% add a lot to the flavour.
* Susan's Rosebank-tasting (with the subsequent giving away of a horrid halfbottle of Signatory Rosebank).
* The whiskyauction - got to take home three bottles (Caol Ila F&F 15 for £48, Glen Moray 8yo (old style) for £28 and a Talisker bought by someone while visiting Portugal for £20).
* And of course Seven Stills Tour - albeit there where fewer dram than expected, next time I'll bring a flask.

Down points:
* The weather on Sunday. Sunny! The weather permitted us to climb Benrinnes - damn hard work!
* Too little time, as always - wanted to attend more events that the hours of the day permitted.
* The trip back home - strike among Norwegian airtraffic-controllers caused havoc and we didn't get home until 4am (3am GMT).
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:13 pm

SpiritofShetland wrote: You know we were there, gave you a bit a memory to carry back - and of course the Rosebank.

btw. How's your back Bruce?

I shall be skipping my Wednesday gym workout thank you very much. :x

SpiritofShetland wrote: Would have liked to stay at dregs longer, but what can a guy do?

Get plastered first next time? :twisted:

SpiritofShetland wrote: Highlights for me was:
* Visit at BenRiach Distillery, got to taste quite a lot of interesting samples. And luckily for us outside the UK their new releases will come at 43% outside the UK (who only get 40%) - the extra 3% add a lot to the flavour.

If you managed to get a taste of a good Benriach, well done to you. It was smooth but decidely non-descript when I had the old Chivas version.

SpiritofShetland wrote:* Susan's Rosebank-tasting (with the subsequent giving away of a horrid halfbottle of Signatory Rosebank).

The half-bottle will do my colleague. I tasted a little, as did Stuart, and we thought it was rather non-descript rather than horrid.

I'm just sorry that I didn't get to Susan's event as it clashed with Per's and I would have to been chucking drams away to have made it to both events and that would never do. I have a reputation to keep up.

SpiritofShetland wrote: Down points:
* The weather on Sunday. Sunny! The weather permitted us to climb Benrinnes - damn hard work!

I solved that problem by not signing up for that event. 8)

Highlights for me were the trip to Cardhu with a taste of the five JWs from red to blue. That stuff is fantastic. If money was no object, I'd drink the Gold Label. Since it is an object, I'll stick to the still excellent Black Label.

Mike at the Tomintoul Whisky Castle is worth the price of admission alone. His choice of drams was superb with the cracking Longmorn 15, the wonderfully sweet and golden-honeyish G+M Longmorn 12, the Murray McDavid Clynelish 14 (1990 I think) which was the sweetest and best Clynelish I've ever had and he rounded off with an OMC Port Ellen from 1981 which was just fantastic. :D I could have done with a little more time in his shop though as we were rather rushed. :(

Grabbed a bottle of OMC Glentauchers which was great stuff and was the best Glentauchers hands down. OMC Glen Garioch was also the best from that distillery as well. I told Susan's boss, at the Whisky fringe, that I would treat myself to an OMC when I was promoted, thinking I would be about 93 when my promised promotion came through. However, it came through, with extra cash, in September so that was rather cool.

And my last highlight was the opportunity, at the dregs party, to demonstrate that I am, by far, the strongest man who comes to these events. I'm not sure I want to do that to often though. :shock:
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:57 pm

BruceCrichton wrote:Going to the dregs party?

Will you remember any of it?

By God, you don't get much more wrong than that do you? :shock:
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:47 pm

Missed a bit.

Ate in the Glenfiddich Restauraunt for the first time and it was superb. It was simpler fare than the Taste of Speyside and La Faisanderie but no less enjoyable for that and the deserts were outstanding. Recommended to gannets, like me, the world over. 8)

BTW, what did you bring back with you to drink?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:43 am

First let me recommend the Dufftown Chippy - exellent value if you'd rather spend money on whisky.

We brought home:
* Very Young Ardbeg
* Ardnave Single Islay Malt (Tesco)
* Ledaig (n/a)
* Aberlour a'Bunadh, Batch 12
* Cadenhead Mortlach 8yo (1987)
* Cadenhead Bond No.3 Islay Cask (20cl)
* Glen Moray 8yo (Old style)
* Caol Ila 15yo F&F
* Talisker 10 (w/Portugese tax marks)
* Lagavulin DE 1990
* Macallan 7yo (For the Italian market)
* Linkwood 1983 F&F Cask Strength

Plus that my future mother-in-law picked up a bottle each of the Longmorn and Glenlivet Cask strengths.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:54 am

Did you get the fried Mars?

Or the fried Pizza?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:59 am

Tried a deepfried Mars-bar a year ago, once is enough - my heart hasn't quite forgiven me for than one yet.

Only tried the ordinary pizza this time around, maybe next time.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:42 am

I can feel my arteries hardening just typing this. :(
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:37 am

Did you get to the Buccaneer at all?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Events