Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Calling all Aberdonians

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Calling all Aberdonians

Postby jmrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:57 pm

My niece has to raise £4500 for an educational expedition to Peru with some classmates, see www.world-challenge.co.uk for details. With about £1000 to go I thought Uncle Mark could do a couple of tastings to help plug the gap.

The first one will be at Westhill golf club at 8pm on Friday 30th March, £15 - all proceeds to the cause. This tasting will be particularly suitable for novices/casual whisky drinkers: a blend, a grain, a single malt, a malt heavily influenced by the cask then a peaty malt. PM me for further details/tickets.

The next one will be aimed at the established enthusiast £25:-

Lochside 30yo 1981 - Oct. 2011 54.9% Bourbon hogshead 246 bottles Cadenheads

Girvan 1964 - 2011 48.8% Scott's Selection

Longrow 10yo Oct. 2001 - Nov. 2011 53.9% 611 bottles Springbank Society

Tomintoul 43yo 4.2.1968 - 19.01.2012 47.6% 172 bottles Whiskybroker

plus a mystery dram

As Cadenheads (I manage the Edinburgh shop) was originally an Aberdonian company and I spent my primary school years in the city I have wanted to do a tasting there for some time. Only trouble is I don't have a venue yet. Any suggestions? The first venue quoted £200 for room hire the next was booked out. I'm looking for somewhere central and cheap. Help.
jmrl
Gold Member

Re: Calling all Aberdonians

Postby jmrl » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Right loons and quines, those top people at The Belmont Cinema are letting us use their space.

Now as Bob Geldof said 'give us yer F*****G money'
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:06 pm

There will be a raffle after the tasting. Everyone entering will win a miniature of whisky, ticket £5- prizes so far-

Rare Malts Port Ellen 22yo, Springbank 21yo, Ladyburn + Caperdonich 1972, Knockando 25yo, Strathmill 37yo, Caperdonich 27yo, Glenfarclas 175th, Rosebank 21yo, Saint Magdalene 29yo, Johnnie Walker Blue Label, Amrut Portanova, Hazelburn port cask exclusive, Amrut Two Continents, Macallan 18yo, North of Scotland, Tomintoul 21yo, Cutty Sark 25yo. Any further donations greatly appreciated
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:17 pm

One final last minute post about tonight's tasting, the generous Iain MacIlwain has donated some of his wonderful 'Bottled History' books for the after tasting auction. They are normally £30 and we will pretty much accept any reasonable bid (i.e. not 50p). The book is a combination of Iain's fine photography, artistic style and text mainly from ex-distillery staff. The featured distilleries are those who tend to follow genuinely traditional approaches rather than a push-button approach to production. Springbank, Bruichladdich, and Glenglassaugh are all heavily featured. A feew tickets left for the tasting - Belmont cinema 7,30pm tonight....
jmrl
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder