Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Australian National Malt Whisky Convention - 2005

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Australian National Malt Whisky Convention - 2005

Postby Admiral » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:31 pm

Have you been looking for an excuse to come to Australia?

After the roaring success of last year's inaugural event, Sydney will be hosting Australia's second Malt Whisky Convention in August next year.

You read it here first! Now put it in your diaries!!

Slainte,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:29 am

The dates are confirmed....August 19 - 21, 2005 in Sydney!

For more details, see

http://www.mwsoa.org.au

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:40 am

The program is locked in, the masterclasses are sensational, and the range of whiskies is nothing short of stellar!

Check it all out here:

http://www.mwsoa.org.au

Hope to see some of you here! :)
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Squire » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:34 pm

Hi Admiral,
I managed to make it to the trade show on Sunday morning. What a fantastic range there was indeed!
Was a bit disturbed though by the lack of spitoons! Or the fact that somebody had decided they were better used as ice buckets for water?? Was this a mistake?
I had to work on Sunday afternoon and intended tasting as much as possible.
Is spitting frowned upon in whisky circles, surely not? There must have been some very merry visitors that weekend.
Looking forward to the next one.
Cheers.
Squire

Postby Admiral » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:51 pm

Hi Squire,

Ah, you should have PM'd me....I could have met you and said hi! I popped into the Expo during the morning Trade Session for a quick walk around (I was helping to set up the stand for the SMWS), before attending the plenary session by Chuck Hahn next door. I then went into the Expo from 1.00pm until about 3.45pm, and then from 3.45 to 4.30 I was manning the SMWS stand.

I too noticed that the morning session had no spittoons. I believe the hotel stuffed up by putting ice in the buckets, and then putting the water bottles in. This was a real mistake, and the organisers noticed it near the end of the session. By the afternoon session, all of the water bottles had been taken out, and people were using them as spittoons, so it seems only the morning session missed out. However, I actually carried my own tumbler around and used it for a while also.

Spittooning is certainly not frowned upon in whisky circles. At least not half as much as we frown upon those that over-indulge and make a mess of themselves!! (Two guys were in a pretty bad state by 5.00pm!) :)

What did you think? Pretty impressive line up of whiskies, eh?

I took detailed notes and scored about 20 of the whiskies, and then I put away my pad and pen and just started enjoying a few others around the place. With 120 to choose from, you had to be pretty selective! :wink: I was very impressed with the Old Malt Cask table, and also the Chieftans table.

The worst table was the Diageo one....they were only there to flog Johnnie Walker Green, but they had display bottles of the four main malts that go into it, including Caol Ila. My brother asked the bloke where he could get Caol Ila, and was told that Caol Ila is not imported to Australia. Meanwhile, two of Australia's major importers had it on their lists just a few tables away!! :roll:

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Squire » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:26 am

Yeah, sorry mate I did think of trying to hook up at the show but was one of those things that just kind of snuck up.
I'm now working for Vintage Cellars and this time of year is hectic with tastings and functions etc. It's a tough job but someones gotta do it! :wink:

You may be interested to know that we are in the process of ranging the Whiskies from The old Malt Cask company. I had a great chat with Stuart from the company and am very excited.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers, Squire.
Squire

Postby Admiral » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:26 am

Which VC store? :) If you're nearby, I'll pop in!

I also had a great chat with Stuart, (Stewart?), and I enjoyed his enthusiasm and approach. I look forward to seeing more of his stuff on (y)our shelves. :)

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Squire » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:08 am

I'm Co-manager of the Drummoyne store.

Whereabouts in Sydney are you?
Squire

Postby Admiral » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:37 am

Hey! I'm near North Ryde!!

I'll send you a private message.

Cheers,