Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Edinburgh Jolly Toper tasting Thurs 6.9.12

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Edinburgh Jolly Toper tasting Thurs 6.9.12

Postby jmrl » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 pm

It's been a while but as a precursor to the release of the tasting program for the remainder of the year here are the details of the next Jolly Toper POURS tasting.

Thursday 7.30pm til later, £21 returning non members or £18 for members and first timers. Membership is £10 for a thirteen month period and gives £3 off each tasting.

At The Kilderkin 65/67 Canongate, Royal Mile, Edinburgh:- for me easily one of Edinburgh's better pubs, heart and soul, great beer choice- quality and diversity, nearly 100 rums, plenty whisky and staff who like working there, pub grub better than it needs to be, and groovy tunes.

There, landlord appeasing box ticked.

The main attraction for me is a Manager's Dram Oban from a single sherry cask 13yo bottled 17.11.90 at 62%. I've been doing these tastings for over ten years and nearly a complete liver so when a single malt is used which hasn't appeared before it's a bit special. These early Manager's Drams command a high price at auction and I'm not surprised.

A.D. Rattray Aberlour 20yo 46% single cask - a nice welcome dram.

G&M Imperial 1993 - 2012 43% - I love these G&M sherry casks - another topper to tope with.

That nice man Martin (son of Raymond Bladnoch Armstrong) does it again - single Islay malt 21yo 17.12.90 to 29.03.12 21yo from a first fill sherry butt at 54.5% and an out-turn of 739 bottles.

There will be something peaty but I've yet to sort that out....

Unfortunately the angels (or maybe devils) have taken a fair old share from these bottles so the usual capacity of 28 at these tastings will reduced to 24-ish.

With any luck I'll start writing up the feedback from these tastings again but don't hold one's breath.

P.S. I doubt there will be a raffle at the end of this tasting as I don't have enough empty miniatures to fill as prizes. Anybody out there sitting on a pile of empty 5cl bottles?
jmrl
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder