Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

POURS tasting 20.9.12 Edinburgh 7.30pm

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

POURS tasting 20.9.12 Edinburgh 7.30pm

Postby jmrl » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:11 pm

P/O/U/R/S TASTING 20.9.12 £20/17 EDINBURGH

Postby Jolly Toper » 16 Sep 2012, 20:11
Hmm,

Well the current batch of 15yo 46% Springbank is tickety-boo.

Cadenheads have recently released a rock solid 21yo Tamdhu cask strength Bourbon Hogshead

I really liked a Tullamore Dew malt that I tried at Whisky Fringe this August and have ordered one, I thought I tried the 10yo but can only get the 12yo. If the boot fits we'll wear it.

I'm off to Angus Macraid's Mulberry Bank pre-auction tasting in Glasgow tomorrow and have 10 bottles waiting to be picked up since December. As I've forgotten what they are there might be something worth including so at this stage I'll blag it and call it a mystery dram - there is another Oban Managers Dram I think, although he last one didn't despatch itself as well as I'd hoped.

That leaves something peaty and rare and over 25yo to meet my Peaty/Old/Unusual/Rare/Sherried promise (The Springbank is fairly blessed with a kiss from the cask). I somewhat over eagerly opened a Benriach 25yo Authenticus 46% but don't feel the line up is strong enough to include it. There is an easy drinking Whisky Broker 20yo Bunnahabhain, maybe a 12yo 46% Glenburgie from A. D. Rattray that is so tasty but not sure if Willy JJ can get it to me on time, likewise an astonishing Bladtub -3yo Bladnoch and a privately bottled 35yo Mortlach that tastes a bit like the Sheepdip Amoroso-Oloroso.

Quite a conundrum - maybe another 6 dram tasting.

By the way a first at the last meting, I get people to put their thumbs up if they like a dram, thumbs down if not and 'shaky hand' if undecided. To get everyone present to thumbs up is very rare and decidedly satisfying. Last week we had two 100%ers in a row! One for the new Longrow, replacing the CV and the the Springbank Society's latest release a 14yo after 7 years in port.

Jolly Toper

jmrl
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder