Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Calling all private cask owners

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Calling all private cask owners

Postby jmrl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:51 am

I run whisky tastings as a self-employed host. These occur roughly every two weeks. I've just provisionally set the dates for the next 6 months of tastings. After doing these events for a fair number of years the formula gets tweeked to meet demand, this year we'll stay with a themed tasting every third date.

I'm considering using bottles from privately owned casks for a topic. Private cask ownership is not a new phenomena but with a handful of new or re-start distilleries coming on stream there seems to be many more people, individually or as part of a group, owning exclusive examples of malts.

I know a few such guys but I'd be interested to gauge enthusiasm from others who would like to share their stash. Obviously the best course would be to use mature drams rather than works in progress.

Further it always occurred to me owning a cask must be a comforting thought but when it comes to the delivery of potentially hundreds of identical bottles just how many can one person account for through consumption and how many can be given away until the cost of generosity becomes unsustainable? Now selling a proportion of the cask - say enough to recoup costs seems an idea. Of course undeclared income is an issue here but that is very much up to the individual - as is the legality of trading in alcohol without appropriate licences: personal and premises.

So there you go you might own a share in an already mature cask of North British grain bought form someone like Martin Armstrong or you may have a casks of Springbank bought from the distillery in the 1990s. You might want to simply share your trophy or maybe looking for a platform to promote the sale of excess bottles. Remember there is no law about swapping bottles between cask owners - the phrase 'Bottle Bank' has neatly been used to describe a not-for-profit service overseeing this type of exchange.

Thoughts?

I apologise if this forum restricts the mention of buying or selling so let's keep it personal by mail or other method.

cheers

Mark D.
jmrl
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder