Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Thurs. 18.04.13 Kilderkin Edinburgh £20/17

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Thurs. 18.04.13 Kilderkin Edinburgh £20/17

Postby jmrl » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:45 pm

Hopefully I'll give a fair account of the 'straight from the cask at the distillery' tasting soon. Briefly the Glengarioch was a real crowd pleaser, quite expensive for a 14yo but not so much for the quality. The Arran had subtlety to it that rewarded the patient amongst us while the Glenfiddich should have been placed earlier in the line up as its mellower qualities were to a great extent lost amongst the more muscular first two. Star of the show was the Glendronach with only one attendee's account of the Devil's matchsticks spoiling the balance for them. The Longrow wasn't as impressive as earlier single casks but I noted all glasses were empty...

Next tasting Thursday 18.04.13 Kilderkin, Canongate, Royal Mile Edinburgh £20/17*:-
* £10 discount for first timers and members - membership costs £10 for 13 months

Glenfarclas 25yo 43%, we've never tried this for some reason (I think, anyway). The standard range is so solid (although a 21yo never made the line up due to a lack of presence) and it is expected this expression will be warmly received.

Van Winkle rye, highly lauded and thin on the ground, the rye revolution continues.

Mortlach 17yo, from whisky broker another fine example of Dufftown's best.

Caol Ila 21yo 46%, yet to taste this one actually so a provisional at the moment. This is from the first round of a new series of whiskies from Cadenheads.

Mystery dram, this is code for not sorted this one out yet - but loads of oddities needing a home if something special doesn't come along. Maybe make it a 6 dram tasting if budget permits and our glorious landlord host doesn't mind us over-pouring the glasses.
jmrl
Gold Member

Re: Thurs. 18.04.13 Kilderkin Edinburgh £20/17

Postby jmrl » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:10 pm

We tried the new bottlings this week and as much as I love Caol Ila I wonder if at the end of a 5 dram tasting the 21yo will perform being as it is 46%, the vatted 22yo 46% Islay (Bowmore, Caol Ila and Ardbeg) seems to offer a degree more weight, hmm still a few days left to see if something else appears. There were some nice drams in the latest (last?) Duthies bottlings. For me the atypical Ben Nevis 17yo, the Allt-a-Bhainne 20yo and the Ardmore 15yo were fine. Of the recent new drams I've tried I was impressed by a Robert Graham 28yo Littlemill, which makes me even curiouser about the official 21yo - anybody tried it?
jmrl
Gold Member

Re: Thurs. 18.04.13 Kilderkin Edinburgh £20/17

Postby jmrl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:17 pm

Nope, changed my mind again, as nice as the vatted and Caol Ila are and I like the Loch Gorm too but the last dram needs to be full strength methinks - Tempest batch 3. G&M Caol Ila Madiera finish good too....
jmrl
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder