Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

official 100 proof tasting Edinburgh 13.6.13

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

official 100 proof tasting Edinburgh 13.6.13

Postby jmrl » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Okay let's try again, the first attempt at this tasting didn't get organised in time for the proposed date as finding the drams proved challenging. £20/17*, Kilderkin, 65/67 Canongate, Royal Mile, Edinburgh, 7.30pm, Thursday 13th June.

Here is the challenging list of drams:-

Avonside 8yo blend - the now discontinued G&M bottling

Arran - also now discontinued, although no age statement is given I seem to recall 8 years being mentioned.

Springbank 10yo - again discontinued

Talisker 57 North - should be discontinued (only joking, it's actually much more to my taste than I remember it)

Glenmorangie Astar - I'm not sure this is still bottled, I believe it is/was (not Tiswas) the graduation from the earlier designer cask at 50cl now sold as Elanta but I'm probably wrong.
jmrl
Gold Member

Re: official 100 proof tasting Edinburgh 13.6.13

Postby jmrl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:19 pm

A quick mention about the 100 proof tasting:-

The Arran for me felt a bit disjointed = almost not fully mature with a lack of balance although that was the very characteristic that a couple attending found attractive. It was quite drinkable but nothing inspiring.

The G&M Avonside 8yo blend was quite the thing - medium bodied and I was a bit surprised it wasn't more popular -we tried it again yesterday and concluded it was pretty classy.

The Glenmorangie however was the opposite, flawless, polite, rounded, and typical of the distillery character - the whole package was a bit too polished for some of the guys, for me it was a great example of how a big company can create a consistent and quality product on a significant scale. No challenge though.

For most of us the star was the Springbank, offering real character with plenty of guts, confident and complex with a great finish, proper.

We finished with the Talisker which dispatched itself well although I remember Talisker as an awesome dram not as an also ran.

The next tasting on Thursday 11th July will feature a Ben Nevis 17yo 46% from Duthies, Glendronach cask strength batch 2, the recently released Campbeltown Loch 21yo blend at 46% from Springbank, potentially a Banff 36yo from Cadenheads then something peaty.
jmrl
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder