Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Marie Curie fund raising tasting- appeal

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Marie Curie fund raising tasting- appeal

Postby jmrl » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:52 pm

Sadly my family had to make use of the services of Marie Curie recently and we would like to generate some funds for the organisation. The plan is to host two whisky tastings - one at £15 a head for casual whisky drinkers the other £25 for enthusiasts. A target of £1000 gives us something to aim for but anything will be more than nothing. Hopefully we would make £10 and £15 per ticket respectively. However if we minimise overheads we generate more cash. So if anybody feels like donating a bottle then happy days. If its a miniature or book or anything we will hold a raffle and/or auction.

Ideally we wouldn't limit attendees to 28 and just keep selling tickets. I'm hoping a high profile Edinburgh whisky destination will allow us to host it in their generous space but we've yet to get confirmation....

I'll campaign my connections within the industry for freebies but anything anybody donates would be marvellous.

Thanks folks.
jmrl
Gold Member

Re: Marie Curie fund raising tasting- appeal

Postby jmrl » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:20 pm

Some nice bottles have been donated for these two tastings. The high profile whisky destination in Edinburgh I was hoping would let us use their facility is not getting involved - I'll try high profile whisky destination No.2 ...

We're looking at the last week in November for one of these tastings, details to follow.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:19 pm

I'm off to the high profile whisky destination tonight and will see if they like my idea....

Thanks to Douglas for the Chivas Century of Malts for the Special tasting.

Also I think we'll push the date back to January or even February.

My late Father-in-law's surname was Clyne so we'll put a Clynelish into both tastings - maybe even a Brora for the enthusiast's tasting!
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Many thanks for the donations guys, so far we have:

From Andy a bottle of the magnificent Longrow Gaja Barolo and a bottle of Crown Royal - I tasted this when at the Victoria Whisky Festival this year - the first time I've tried it - for an enthusiast like myself to not have tried something so high profile is curious, I expected nothing of note but far from it - clean sweet and simple, unsurprisingly successful. How many more drams are there I've been dismissive about but are credible?

From Brian a bottle of Welsh gold : Penderyn and a Dear Rattray Ben Rinnes.

Keep them coming boys and girls.

Thanks
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:55 am

The latest addition to the mix is from Willy JJ:-

Islay single malt 21yo 46%The Wine Society.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:56 pm

This just in:-

Highland Park 12yo 55%

SAINT MAGNUS :shock: :thumbsup: :D

Thanks so much Jason.

I think I'll ask forum websites like this if they will be able and want to permit a one off sale of this bottle. Wish me luck.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:31 pm

The generosity continues - a Glenmorangie from Neil Smith and a Ledaig from Hugh McGlashan.

It would be particularly pleasing if someone from the industry showed support - a subtle subliminal hint that.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:03 pm

Okay for the all-comers tasting, as opposed to the enthusiast's, lets go for:-

Thursday 27th February 7.30pm at The Kilderkin, 65 Canongate, Royal Mile, Edinburgh

Clynelish 14yo 46% - my father-in-law's surname was Clyne and it is a fine malt - thanks Fiona and John

Islay single malt 21yo 40% The Wine Society (Bowmore?) thanks Willy

Tomatin 15yo 43% thanks Alastair

Crown Royal 40% thanks Andrew

Ledaig 42% thanks Hugh

Hmm might change the Ledaig to a blend or grain come to think of it.

I'll aim for the enthusiast's tasting to be on Thursday 13th March 2014 at the same venue £25 - no Jolly Toper membership discounts. The target is £1000, as all the drams in the first tasting have been donated if we sell out that will be £420. There will be the raffles at the end of both tastings and the auction for the Highland Park. So far the 'connoisseur's' (horrible word) tasting will be:-

Strathclyde 1983 - this cask was used in the latest Campbeltown Loch 21yo so was never bottled as a release in its own right.

Islay Single Malt 21yo 46% The Wine Society almost certainly Bowmore

Longrow 7yo October 2000 - January 2008 5 1/2 years in refill Bourbon then 1 1/2 years fresh Gaja Barolo 55.8% 12120 bottles

Hazelburn 8yo June 2002 - February 2011 5 years in refill Bourbon casks then 3 years in Sauternes casks 55.9% 9180 bottles

The first and last bottles I had to pay for so if I get further donations of the quality required I might rearrange things. Otherwise the last bottle is hopefully a blockbuster to get bums on seats.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:52 pm

Thanks Larry, Ian and Jack:-

Aberlour filled at the distillery first fill Bourbon cask, cask filled 14.05.97 16yo 51.2%
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:30 pm

Eh, oops I seem to have double booked myself so standby as I reschedule these dates - apologies for any inconvenience.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:41 pm

They keep coming!

From Douglas a Chivas Century of Malts and from Scott a Port Sgioba batch 2 Caol Ila 12yo 55.5%.

Thank you gents.

This is the first Christmas without Colin - not easy, a special well thought for anybody who shares a loss at this special time of year. Happy memories help.

I expect the £1000 target for Marie Curie is in the bag - we just need 50 to 75 tickets sold.....
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:28 pm

For the first tasting we'll do:-

Crown Royal 40% - I tried it for the first time last year and was preparing myself for an at best hollow experience - not at all, if you like Scottish grain this should interest. Courtesy of Andy.

Clynelish 14yo 46% - a fine example of the highland style - my father-in-law's surname was Clyne. This bottle was swapped in the shop with a Penderyn donated by Brian.

Glendronach 12yo 43% matured in oloroso and Pedro Ximinez casks - a great example of sherry cask matured malt. This bottled was swapped in the shop for a Glenmorangie 10yo donated by Neil.

An Islay single malt (Bowmore almost for certain) 21yo 40% bottled by the wine Society, something peaty but not too heavy for the newbies. Thanks to Willy.

The other dram in the line up will probably be a blend so we can do the ABC tasting: a blend, grain (almost anyway), sherry cask, peaty and straight forward malt. If something old and rare pops up we'll go for that instead. The tasting is mainly aimed at people who have no particular enthusiasm for whisky but drink it, are interested enough to learn more but mainly want to support Marie Curie. The raffle is complete for 28 people and all the prizes are donations and are particularly interesting. Raffle tickste will be the usual - at least £2. The auction so far consists of a couple of whisky related CDs and books. We'll also start the bidding on Jason's Highland PArk.

The tasting will be at 7.30pm in The Kilderkin, 65/67 Canongate, Royal Mile on Wednesday 26th February. Tickets are £15 and every penny goes to Marie Curie.

PLEASE LET PEOPLE YOU KNOW IN THE AREA AWARE OF THE EVENT, if it is a sell out there will be other tastings arranged - we have enough bottles to do two more tastings including an enthusiast's night...details to follow on that one - hopefully a special Clynelish for that night.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:24 pm

For the enthusiast's tasting the price will be £25. At the Kilderkin, 65/67 Canongate, Royal Mile, Edinburgh, Thursday 27th March 2014.

Strathclyde 1983 - this cask was used in the latest Campbeltown Loch 21yo so was never bottled as a release in its own right. This is a cask sample and came with no age or strength.

Longrow 7yo October 2000 - January 2008 5 1/2 years in refill Bourbon then 1 1/2 years fresh Gaja Barolo 55.8% 12120 bottles. I love this stuff, the flavour just keeps on going.

Hazelburn 8yo June 2002 - February 2011 5 years in refill Bourbon casks then 3 years in Sauternes casks 55.9% 9180 bottles. This was one of the best whiskies I tasted in 2011 - so pleased to be trying it again.

If I use a Brora then there will also be an Aberlour 'Warehouse No.1' hand bottled at the distillery first fill Bourbon cask 16yo 51.2%

If I use a Clynelish then there will also be a privately bottled Caol Ila from the boys 'at' Port Sgioba:- 12yo 03.11.00 - 05.11.12 205 bottles 55.5%

Also please forgive me - the Landlord has asked for the date of the £15 to be changed yet again - now it is Thursday 13th February. Until I change it again (hopefully joking).

I'll put these two dates in seperate posts of their own to help clear the confusion. There is enough bottles to do at least one more tasting as well - these will follow in due course.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:07 pm

As a bit of a enticer to the Marie Curie tastings here is a list of the raffle prizes:-

Entry into the raffle is the traditional £2.00 minium. again 100% of the money goes to the cause. EVERYONE wins a miniature's worth of whisky. Again all stock has been donated - please feel free to add to the list - any 'dry' goods will be sold in the raffle - details of auction items coming soon.

EMPTY MINIATURES ALWAYS NEEDED!!!!!!

Karuizawa Spirit of Asama

Dewar Rattray old Clynelish

Glendronach official 19yo oloroso cask strength (CS)

Longrow 13yo single sherry cask CS

BBR Bunnahabhain 6yo CS

High West Rendezvous Rye

Tomatin Cu Bocan

Antiquary 12yo

High West American Prairie Reserve

Dalwhinnie 15yo

Tomatin Legacy

Dewar Rattray Glencadam 15yo

Tomatin 18yo

OMC Laphroaig 12yo butt

Raw Cask Amrut

Tomatin 12yo

Adelphi 6yo CS

Comapss Box Hedonism

Dew\ar Rattray Strathmill 15yo CS

High West Double Rye

Lochside G&M

Allt-A-Bhainne 38yo private bottling

Blackadder Smoking Islay

Mark's Peaty blend

Mark's non-peaty blend

Knockando 12yo

Whisky Broker Tomintoul 1968 (25ml)

New Black Bottle + Asda Islay
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:36 pm

Get in!

The tasting on the 13th Feb. only 4 spaces left.

27th March ONE space left

no spaces taken on the 13th though - boo. I think I'll add a quiz to the night on this night - any prizes greatfully received.

Thanks to Bruce for the Ardbeg 10yo and Andy (again) for Clynelish Signatory 15yo 1995 21/12/1995 - 14/01/2011 sherry butt 12798 629 bottles 56.6%.

With these new additions a fourth tasting is more likely.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:10 pm

jmrl wrote:The tasting on the 13th Feb. only 4 spaces left.

no spaces taken on the 13th though - boo.

Please explain? :?
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:46 pm

Eh, March 13th empty, February 13th fool, I mean full. Unlucky for some.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks very much to Chris White and Chris Hoban from Edinburgh Whisky Blog who raised £82.62 at their recent prohibition themed tasting at Edinburgh University's Water of Life Society. And thanks to Adam Booth from Cutty Sark who supplied the Cutty Sark Prohibition edition which the attendees contributed a donation in order to taste it. Nice one gents.

Due to the inevitable cancellations there are still a number of tickets left for tomorrow night's Marie Curie tasting. If you are unable to attend but know someone in the Edinburgh area who might be interested please bring the event to their attention - it would be a shame if there were seats unfilled.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:32 am

The night saw 23 of us enjoy a convivial evening of drams and banter, together with the £82 raised by Chris and Chris from The Edinburgh Whisky and Adam Booth of Cutty Sark so far we have raised £587. So with two tastings left to go - the £25 a ticket one on the 27th of March is sold out, we're well on target for our £1000 goal. Also bidding on the Highland Park Earl Magnus is sitting at an incredible £350.

Nice one folks - now lets get some of these tickets for the tasting on 13th March sold!
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Well this next Charity tasting is half full/empty: can anybody rustle up some friends in the area that might be interested?

Marie Curie fund raising tasting Thursday 13.3.14 £15
- 100% of money taken goes to the charity. 7.30pm at The Kilderkin 65 Canongate, Royal Mile, Edinburgh.

Longrow 7yo October 2000 - January 2008 5 1/2 years in refill Bourbon then 1 1/2 years fresh Gaja Barolo 55.8% 12,120 bottles. I love this stuff, the flavour just keeps on going.

Tomintoul 14yo 46%

Tomatin 15yo 43%

Clynelish 16yo 46%

Century of Malts 40%

Plus the raffle and the auction. Also the Highland Park St Magnus 2 is sitting at £400 if anybody wants to be that. We'll finalise bids on the last, sold out tasting on the 27th March.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:48 pm

The possibility of a fourth tasting is growing as Douglas just donated a Cadenheads Glencraig 22yo 1981 - July 2003 Bourbon hogshead 216 bottles 57.5%. There is also a Ledaig and a Bowmore 21yo 46%....

7 places left for tonight.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:45 pm

£564.58

Kerching.

Thanks to Harry who will donate a bottle we are one bottle short of tasting number 4.

Come on whisky industry.

I'm not fussy a simple Kininve/Aisla Bay/Roseisle would do.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Smashed it. Thanks to Brian and Sarah for their donation of a Glendronach single cask 14yo distilled 16/02/1996 - bottled 03/2010 oloroso sherry butt 576 bottles 59.7% the fourth tasting is happening.

I'll aim at £20 a ticket sometime in May - I'll keep you posted.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:50 pm

Well despite a record TWELVE cancellations we still managed to raise £600 from tickets, £101.20 from raffle/auction then John Stephen's better half donated £100 from her own Marie Curie fund raising as a thank you for the care her mother recently received.

So in good old fashioned Blue Peter spirit 'so far the total is £1,952.78'

Thanks everyone.

Remember that last date - 8th May £20 a ticket. One more bottle would be peachy - and we've got the bidding on the Highland Park EarlMagnus 2 to finalise - its sitting at £400!
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:41 pm

By quite a stroke of luck while I was hosting a fund raising tasting at the Border's village Ancrum last night I won a bottle of Spice Tree. Hopefully I can sell it and spend the money on a Clynelish - anybody know of a good one currently available?
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:30 pm

So the details are set:- Thursday 8.5.14 final (?) Marie Curie tasting £20 - 100% of ticket price goes to Marie Curie 7.30pm The Kilderkin, Royal Mile, Edinburgh.

Glencraig 22yo 1981 - July 2003 Bourbon hogshead 216 bottles 57.5% Cadenheads

Glendronach single oloroso sherry butt 14yo 16/02/1996 - 03/2010 576 bottles 59.7%

single Islay malt (Bowmore?) 21yo 46% The Wine Society

Ledaig 42%

Compas Box Spice Tree - which may be substituted for a Clynelish

feel free to donate another bottle and/or raffle/auction prizes.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Wed May 07, 2014 9:10 pm

Well it has all come together very nicely in the end thanks to a generous soul who wishes to remain nameless we have a Clynelish, thanks Jan, and only two tickets left. All that is left is to see if we can improve on the bid for the Highland Park.

Clynelish 14 year old
Release: Gordon & MacPhail - Connoisseurs Choice (no apostrophe on the label ... hmmm - don't put this in the notes)
Distilled: September 1994
Bottled: January 2010
Strength 43%

Notes on the bottle =

Nose: balanced and fruity - delicate peachy note
Palate: Sweet and subtle, with a delicate lemon zest
Body: Light
Finish: Smooth (they all say that but this really is JP)(don't use this either ...)
Cask Type: Refill sherry butt
jmrl
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder