Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Fringe 2005

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Whisky Fringe 2005

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed May 11, 2005 5:48 pm

Who's all going this August?

How about you, Susywong? :P
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby susywong » Thu May 12, 2005 8:28 am

Hi Bruce,

Yup, I'll be at Whisky Fringe, both days! As if i'd pass up an opportunity of a weekend in Edinburgh?

See you there!
Susan
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu May 12, 2005 4:09 pm

Cool. 8)

Drinking or working or both?

No feats of strength from me, there might be a Norwegian girl who needs carried home and that nearly did me an injury the last time. :cry:
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby JimHall » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:40 am

I have to confess I don't know about the Whisky Fringe who can tell me what it is?
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:49 am

And where we can find Norwegian girls who need to be carried home?
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:09 am

I'm in the dark about Whisky Fringe, Norwegian girls, and whose home I should be carrying them to. Damn, scotch shouldn't be this complicated.
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:18 am

http://www.whiskyfringe.co.uk for the whisky fringe. Tickets available from http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com .

http://www.dufftown.co.uk and read the archive reports.

Carrying home a Norwegian girl was no joke btw. :cry:
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:21 pm

Bruce, you know we're going to want details on the Norwegian girl thing now...we Yanks only see Norwegian girls in our fantasies...I suspect your experience may have been more of a nightmare, though!

I agree with Ron, combining Whisky Fringe, Norwegian girls, a hauling task, and trying to make sense of it while sober is just too complicated...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:05 am

I was in the Dubliner in Reykjavik, trying (not very successfully) to get friendly with the bartender, a lovely but bored Swedish woman named Anna. Nearby six or eight women were doing some sort of dance that involved much clapping and stamping of feet.

"Does this go on all the time?" I asked.

Anna rolled her eyes and said, in a voice dripping with ennui and scorn, "They are Norwegian."

Here's Mr Tattie Heid his own self, at the Nordic Roots Festival in Minneapolis in 2001, with his arm around noted Norwegian girl and world-class fiddler Annbjorg Lien. Alas, she would not let me carry her home.

Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:20 am

with his arm around noted Norwegian girl and world-class fiddler Annbjorg Lien. Alas, she would not let me carry her home.

.....most norwegian girls know how to fiddle......

sorry :oops:

Anyway, yes norwegians in genereal (including the girls) are not known for their sophistication. With the elegance of an elephant when physically moving and with the politeness of a bull in a china shop when chit chatting you would be surprised to say the least. Well, that's what I've been told by two italian friends anyway! And their drinking habits/patterns are exactly the same as the men's - which tend to mean getting severly drunk in a very short time.

I can also understand Bruce Crichtons conserns when carrying one of my fellow drunk countrymen/women as the scandinavian girls are somewhat sturdier built than their south european counterparts. Most norwegian girls are very active in sports such as handball etc and develop muscles that in the combination with a more solid bone structure would be a serious challenge for manly galantry such as carrying home safely :wink:

But Annbjørg Lien sure knows how to play the fiddle!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:42 am

The girl in question knows who she is and that's all I'm saying. :twisted:

Her fiance helped me carry her, although I was the only one strong enough to lift her, and she fell down drunk in front of her mother. :roll:
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:57 am

Hehe sounds like a back braking experience. Being a norwegian myself I can tell you that you shouldn't be surprised to find out she's not that embarassed about it. This is unfortunately business as usual over here.

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby MGillespie » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:09 pm

BruceCrichton wrote:The girl in question knows who she is and that's all I'm saying. :twisted:

Her fiance helped me carry her, although I was the only one strong enough to lift her, and she fell down drunk in front of her mother. :roll:

Wait a second...she's engaged to a guy that's not strong enough to carry her??? :roll:
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:26 pm

Perhaps he meant to say that he was the only one strong enough at that moment to carry her. After all, we don't know what condition the fellow was in. 8)
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:15 am

The girl is considerably heavier than her fiance. :cry: It was no joke lifting her :oops: .

She knows who she is and her identity is safe with me and everyone else who saw her. :wink:
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:50 am

:oops:
Sorry, I found a nice little picture a impressing female Norwegian handball-player, printed on a stamp. I tried to post it here - but for some reason it disappeared...

So this post seams to be quite meaningless.
Last edited by bernstein on Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:35 pm

Poor guy's going to need a forklift on his wedding night... :wink:
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:38 pm

MGillespie wrote:Poor guy's going to need a forklift on his wedding night... :wink:
.......in order to lift his.....wife of course 8)

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby bernstein » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:20 pm

:D
Typisk norsk?
Anyway - congrats to your Hundreårsmarkeringen!!!

P.S. Do the Swedes celebrate June 7th as well? :wink:

Skål!
bernie
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:53 pm

bernstein wrote::D
Typisk norsk?
Anyway - congrats to your Hundreårsmarkeringen!!!

Skål!
bernie

:D Thanks bernie, by the way - how come you know the norwegian language so well?
P.S. Do the Swedes celebrate June 7th as well? :wink:

No, most of them cry - and with good reason as the oil makes us the second richest in Europe! However, when I think about the pathetic norwegian nationalism these days (typical norwegian to be good) I think they're better off without us anyway!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby bernstein » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:23 pm

Still remember a very special girl from Kirkenes - but that's history by now...
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:38 pm

bernstein wrote:Still remember a very special girl from Kirkenes - but that's history by now...

I know I'm not the only one thinking this...obviously you didn't have to carry her home...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:46 pm

I found some very nice photos of the Norwegian women's beach volleyball players from last fall's Olympics...and I think Christian's kidding us...

(Would post the photos, but it would violate about 2000 copyrights!)

Obligatory whisky-related part of the post follows: My Laphroaig Quarter Cask has arrived...waiting for the right time to open it, and will post my notes when I do...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:28 pm

MGillespie wrote:I know I'm not the only one thinking this...obviously you didn't have to carry her home...

... there were times I'd wished I had :oops: .

And Christian definitely is kidding us!!! :D
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:00 am

Hi MGillespie & Bernstein!
Although I am kidding there's also some truth in my description. Norwegian women are not very ladylike and sophisticated - in general. That's a fitting description when it comes to norwegian men too I guess 8)

Anyway, there's a leakage in my toilet room and the water is coming from somewhere around the kitchen on the second floor. Makes me wonder if it isn't a good idea to comfort myself with buying a bottle of whisky?
:(

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby MGillespie » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:22 pm

Might be molre comforting to call the plumber first, then buy the bottle of whisky! ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:30 pm

Oh well, it's been and gone and I had loads of fun.

Got my ex-driving instructor, a Falkirk man, to get his first Rosebank which is from Signatory and I grabbed a cask strength Glengoyne 12.

I also had Isle Of Arran Cream Liqueur which was brilliant and by far the easiest cream liqueur to drink I've had. Unfortunately RMW had sold out when I went to the shop. :(

Anyone who likes salmon should try Hebridean Smoked Salmon, who were one of the surprise exhibitors. If you don't like salmon, this could convert you.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby MAMS » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:23 pm

Agree with Bruce on the Salmon, Until last Sunday I hadn't eaten any sea foods in other 20 years, then I decided to try someo f the Salmon as my co-drinkers were raving about it, and I was hooked.

On the Whiskies the Invergordon 40yo 1964, Mortlach 15yo 1990, Auchentoshen three wood and once again the Magnificent Compass Box Peat Monster were the highlights for me.
MAMS

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:17 pm

I don't know if this also applies to the "Hebridean salmon" but very often the "Scottish Smoked Salmon" is in fact norwegan salmon smoked in Scotland....... :shock:

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby MAMS » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:24 pm

http://www.hebrideansmokehouse.com/ doesn't look like it. Seems to be farmed in Scotland too
MAMS

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:27 pm

That's good - as norwegian farmed salmon increasingly is finding its way into refined "Scottish" salmon products.

From the website in your post I saw that they make "peated salmon" . Now that is something I'd like to try :)

Skål!
Christian

Edit: sorry for the digression by the way - I'll stay on-topic after this :oops:
Mr Fjeld

Postby MAMS » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:47 pm

Yeah it's Peat Smoked Salmon, it's gorgeous
MAMS

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder