Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Victoria Whisky Festival

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Postby WestVanDave » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:49 am

Knolly & Mr. T:

I have sent you two pics from the VWF... however I was not able to find a single pic containing both of you in the same shot.

I don't know if Noel made it to the "after-party" - melting pot... but I do have some pics from that great event that I'd be willing to sell (to the highest bidder :wink: ).
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Wendy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:37 pm

WestVanDave wrote:Knolly & Mr. T:

I don't know if Noel made it to the "after-party" - melting pot... but I do have some pics from that great event that I'd be willing to sell (to the highest bidder :wink: ).

To the Highest Bidder,
My shredder is ready and waiting... 8)

Cheers,
Wendy
(P.S. Hey Dave, good to see you on the forum!)
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:23 pm

I still want the one of Mrs Lawrence draped over Ron's and my laps. (Or did she buy that one back already?)
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:15 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I still want the one of Mrs Lawrence draped over Ron's and my laps. (Or did she buy that one back already?)

I have the one of Mrs. Sir Lawrence doing the horizontal Mr. T & Ron inspection... but the auction has not closed and Wendy has been bidding it up big time...

Good to be back (thanks Wendy).

I was inspired by a visit to a friends tonight that started with Proseco and led to Highland Park 18, Ledaig 15 and wound up with Ardbeg 1977 ('cause it can't get much better than that - now can it???!!!???).

I'm still incapable of posting pics to this forum - but I'll send you a copy Mr. T. - if you promise to share it with all of our friends...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:49 pm

If Lawrence doesn't mind!

Kind of Wendy to try to protect Mrs Lawrence's dignity, but a futile effort, I think....
Deactivated Member

Postby Wendy » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:42 pm

...the ship hasn't sunk yet!

:lol:
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:29 pm

Wendy wrote:...the ship hasn't sunk yet!

:lol:

If "the ship" had Capt. Mr. T at the helm I'd be afraid...very afraid.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:27 am

I'm reminded of a Groucho Marx line from Duck Soup: "Remember, you're fighting for this woman's honor, which is probably more than she's ever done!"
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:40 pm

OK...if I have to make a choice...another Whisky Live in Toronto or January in Victoria...discuss...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:39 pm

I can only go on my personal experience (have not attended Whisky Live in Toronto - have attended both Victoria Whisky Festivals)...

Victoria is a quality event for all the right reasons - as Lawrence's motivation is his love of whisky and the whisky community...it shows. If you've done Whisky Live in Toronto - then the natural choice is to now step up (and over) to Victoria...

Besides - Victoria in January can be very welcoming... Toronto, well...???

I would think Wendy is the most qualified to compare the two events - as she has honoured both with her attendance...

:angel:
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:01 pm

I was kidding...I really want to try and make it to Victoria this year...it's just easier to do Toronto in an overnight trip...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:23 pm

Wendy's report on the 2007 VWF has been published in Malt Maniacs#105. Congratulations, Wendy, on a job well done!

qv Website Reviews
Deactivated Member

Postby Wendy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:07 am

Well, Mark, Dave has certainly put up a few good arguments about choosing VWF over TO Whisky Live...but, for the sake of being completely bias and selfish, I would vote that you would consider attending both! Mostly because at this stage, I know that I will be definitely attending the Toronto event. It was a highlight last year at WL being the fly on the wall during a few of your interviews. This years TO WL venue has changed. I think it is far more suitable and convenient for festival goers and the organizers should have a better feel for the city, so I am anticipating a good event.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:43 pm

Hello all,

I signed up late for the Victoria Festival lthis year and even with the short notice Lawerence made it a memorable event for me. I would recommend it based on that alone, I've been to quite a few festivals all over the world and so far Victoria has been my favorite for multiple reasons including: location (Victoria is stunning), Hotel (Great venue and price), and the personal touch (Lawerence had his friend Nigel pick me up from the airport which was much appreciated).

I'm looking forward to VWF 2008 and seeing everyone from this year.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:39 pm

Thanks Len, it's always nice to hear good things about all our efforts. Please make sure you contact me about tickets because all indicators are pointing towards another sell and this will happen early.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:05 pm

Lawrence, I'm on your contact list, but I'm a little concerned--I se tickets will go on sale on a Saturday, and I'm usually on the road on the weekends. How will sales work? I want to be sure to be able to get into some masterclasses this year.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:32 pm

Don't worry Mr. T, I'll set aside tickets for you (as I will for all forum members attending). We may have to delay the launch of the tickets, I'm still working with the distillers and I'm not 100% sure we can have a complete program by then but we'll see in due course.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby MGillespie » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:31 pm

Wendy wrote:Well, Mark, Dave has certainly put up a few good arguments about choosing VWF over TO Whisky Live...but, for the sake of being completely bias and selfish, I would vote that you would consider attending both! Mostly because at this stage, I know that I will be definitely attending the Toronto event. It was a highlight last year at WL being the fly on the wall during a few of your interviews. This years TO WL venue has changed. I think it is far more suitable and convenient for festival goers and the organizers should have a better feel for the city, so I am anticipating a good event.

Cheers,
Wendy

Thanks, Wendy! My initial feeling is that since I went to Toronto last year, if I have a choice, it would be Victoria this year...but there's still some time to decide...
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:01 pm

Hi Mark,
I quite understand your rational. The chance to meet a number of forumners who you have been communicating with for awhile now, a new venue to check out like the VWF, and, after all, it is Victoria in January (!!) seems to tip the scale to western Canada.

Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:07 pm

Yeah, come to Victoria, Diz! The weather the past two years has been unbelievably awesome. If it's crappy this year, we'll need someone to blame!
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:55 pm

T, I'm not sure Victoria can handle both of us!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:20 am

MGillespie wrote:T, I'm not sure Victoria can handle both of us!

Mark

We'll the venue is right on the harbor so if things get out of hand...........
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby MGillespie » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:18 am

I know I don't float that well... ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:26 am

We can look for geoducks, and my tickets for last year.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:02 pm

MGillespie wrote:I know I don't float that well... ;)

Mark

You can always tie empty scotch bottles all around you to help keep you a float! I'm sure there will be an abundance of them that weekend!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Re: Victoria Whisky Festival

Postby plainly jane » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:47 pm

I met with Lawrence Graham and his wife, Caroline (Carolyn?) recently when I was on holiday on the Island. They, very kindly, on their moving day, met me at the Strath. What a delightful couple.
I have not been to the VWF but I am planning on going to the one this January. I've already booked my room at the Grand Pacific Hotel.
It was terrific to put a face to a name, ie., Lawrence. I hope to see other forum members, at least those not embarrassed to put a face to the name on the forum list (just kidding!).

Jane
plainly jane
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:14 pm

This is one festival I would dearly love to attend, but alas, I fear that it will not be possible again for this next one.

Ohhh, if only it were a little closer and didn't require so much time and money to attend.

But then it wouldn't be the VWF!

One day Lawrence, I WILL make it.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:28 am

If only I hadn't promised to take Joy to Portugal for our 25th anniversary in April. Can't afford to do both. Sadly, I even had a note on my calendar for Oct 30th: "Book tickets and room for Victoria Whisky Festival". Oh well, maybe next year.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:02 pm

We're pleased t announce that the program for the 2008 Victoria Whisky Festival 25th, 26th and 27th of Janaury 2008 is now on the website

http://www.victoriawhiskyfestival.com

Please contact me directly for tickets. We are waiting for the details on just two of our 16 masterclasses but should have them soon. The line of whiskies for 2008 is very impressive, don't miss out! Hotel rooms are available at the Hotel Grand Pacific for just C$119 and there is a very good chance that we will be able to pcik you up at Victoria airport if you're flying in.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby plainly jane » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:00 pm

Is anybody from Calgary going to the VWF?

Jane
plainly jane
Bronze Member

Postby K-Mile » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:18 pm

Lawrence wrote:We're pleased t announce that the program for the 2008 Victoria Whisky Festival 25th, 26th and 27th of Janaury 2008 is now on the website

Please contact me directly for tickets. We are waiting for the details on just two of our 16 masterclasses but should have them soon. The line of whiskies for 2008 is very impressive, don't miss out! Hotel rooms are available at the Hotel Grand Pacific for just C$119 and there is a very good chance that we will be able to pcik you up at Victoria airport if you're flying in.

Lawrence

Great! This sounds like a good reason to direct my well deserved vacation (first one in two years) to that side of the globe. Will definitely keep an eye on the site...
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby rthomson » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:22 pm

Ahhh, I'm afraid that I can't attend this time; my work schedule will prevent it. Anyone thinking of attending should make their best effort to do so. The venue, the whiskies, the programs, and the friends met and made are all first rate. I'll miss it but I'll keep my hopes up for 2009.

Cheers,
Ron

Lawrence wrote:We're pleased t announce that the program for the 2008 Victoria Whisky Festival 25th, 26th and 27th of Janaury 2008 is now on the website

Lawrence
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Knolly » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:36 am

Definitely planning to make it a second time this year. Last year I was totally impressed with both the organization of the festival, as well as the "fun-ness" of it!

Cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:19 pm

Tickets have sold in record time with just few Consumer Tasting and Bruichladdich Friday night left. As one of the organizers it has been amazing to see how quickly everything has sold out.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Knolly » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:11 pm

plainly jane wrote:Is anybody from Calgary going to the VWF?

Jane

Just slightly off topic, but some of us from BC (myself included) are heading out to Willow Park this week for Wednesday's event!

Cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder