Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Victoria Whisky Festival

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Re: Victoria Whisky Festival

Postby WestVanDave » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:20 pm

Hi Knolly -

So here's the "full circle" of next week and January...

Lawrence is planning on hopping over to Vancouver on Monday to attend our Bowmore night with Jimmy Robertson...

We have 14 members of the West Coast Whisky Society - and another 11 guests attending the Willow Park Whisky in the Warehouse evening in Calgary on Wednesday.

(I will also be joining in on the Glenfiddich/Balvenie dinner with Peter Gordon from Wm. Grant & Sons on Tuesday in Calgary at Buchanan's.)

Many of the Vancouver gang are returning in time for the Hopscotch Festival on Friday November 16...

As for the Victoria Whisky Festival - I know there are probably a dozen or so from Vancouver planning on attending and I've heard from a few from Calgary who have already purchased tickets. If there are still tickets available then I would hope to see more from Calgary... and somewhere in all of that we should be able to finally meet Plainly Jane.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:26 pm

I'll be in attendance also with some members of the VSMC and I understand a whole team from the WCWS will also be there.

But see you tomorrow night at the Bowmore tasting in Vancouver.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wendy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:26 am

Hello Friends,
You certainly have a great week of ahead of you. Enjoy yourself! I look forward to hearing about it.

January isn't that far off. I will see you gents at the Victoria Whisky Festival. Lawrence, I am glad to hear about the great response to ticket sales.

Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:09 pm

Hey Dave, were you in Boston a little while back? Joe Howell said someone was in dropping my name. (You should know that won't get you anywhere!)
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:19 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Hey Dave, were you in Boston a little while back? Joe Howell said someone was in dropping my name. (You should know that won't get you anywhere!)

Hi Mr. T:

I was in Boston and had a great visit with Joe... I wasn't dropping your name - but I did share that picture of you with the farm animals and Joe recognized you right away (even with your face digitally blurred)... You have quite the reputation at Federal Wines & Spirits, Mr. T... :wink:

Truth be told - I gave you full credit for having pointed me to Joe Howell - and I posted here about my poorly-timed visit (the day before Jim McEwen was to arrive for a Masterclass)...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1977&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=4130

If I'd had a better handle on my schedule I would have contacted you for a Beantown pint - but I was juggling a conference (7000 attendees and plenty of nighttime social activities) and visiting our office there (top of the JH Tower - quite the view)...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:52 am

WestVanDave wrote:If I'd had a better handle on my schedule I would have contacted you for a Beantown pint....

If you'd wanted to have a pint with me on the Monday or Tuesday, you'd have had to look for us (me and Ron and Bobby) in the Craigard Hotel in Barra. While you were flying home, we were on the ferry for Oban. Maybe next time!

(I missed McEwan, too, but at that price, I probably wouldn't have gone, anyway.)
Deactivated Member

Postby plainly jane » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:52 pm

I am sooooo looking forward to the VWF. Lawrence should be commended for getting tickets on behalf of forum members. That was terrific of him to do this.

From Nov 12 through 17, I attended 5 tastings. My liver is still in recovery and I am off to another tasting this evening.
Four were put on by the Kensington Wine Market: Springbank (I really like the 1997 Vintage that should arrive shortly); Glenfiddich/Balvenie dinner at Buchanan's (learned about a whisky "dog"); Glenfarclas (not a real fan but the 21,25 and 30 were very good; the one from 1968 was delightful); Bowmore (what can I say about the last release from 5 casks filled in 1964; the other casks produced the Black Bowmore legend; this one was 42 years and incredible!).

The other tasting was at the Willow Park Whisky in the Warehouse. I had never been before. It was great fun. I tasted only ones new to me. I was very glad of the ice buckets that held cast offs from what one could not finish.
One of our Calgary Chapter of the Companion of the Quaich members had a booth beside Springbank and Tullibardine. When I was finished with my rounds, I took it upon myself to help him pour samples. It was great fun. I think I might ask him if I can do it again next year.

I met WestVanDave at both the Glenfiddich/Balvenie dinner and at the Willow Park event. He was great to chat with. I did not divulge that I was "Plainly Jane" but then he never said he was "WestVanDave". Dave then emailed me on another matter and then asked THE question. What could I say? Now that I had met him, should I disavow any knowledge of someone who would use such a cheesy tag? Should I tell him that she is a distant cousin and that I am much nicer than she is? Did I embarrass myself with the exuberance with which I poured the whisky (maybe I did not give him a little extra)? What to do, what to do?

I told him the truth. Yes, I am Plainly Jane. I hope he was not too disappointed. I guess I will find out if he shuns me at the VWF in January (but he does seem like too nice of a fellow to do that).

pj
plainly jane
Bronze Member

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:58 am

plainly jane wrote:

I met WestVanDave ... I guess I will find out if he shuns me at the VWF in January (but he does seem like too nice of a fellow to do that).

pj

While I promise not to shun you... you must have me confused with someone else... Just ask Mr. T and any of the other Forumners who've met me - nice guy I'm not :wink:

Truth be told - it was great to meet you Jane. The Glenfiddich/Balvenie evening was first rate: an exceptional fleet of quality whisky and food to match the impeccable class of Mr. Peter Gordon and his love of the world of Whisky (above and beyond his family's distilleries). The Willow Park event the following evening was great fun - a fanciful "free"-for-all (well, $85-for-all) with 600+ of our closest Whisky friends.

The only way to top that will be, well, Victoria... See you there!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Wendy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:15 am

I am really looking forward to Victoria WF. It will be a great chance to reunite with old and new friends.

The recent flurry of Canadian western whisky events sound quite memorable. I have enjoyed reading about the events and tastings.

Plainly Jane, I hope you will reveal your identity to me at the VWF. It will be nice to meet you.

Best regards,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:29 am

Wendy wrote:I am really looking forward to Victoria WF. It will be a great chance to reunite with old and new friends.

Best regards,
Wendy

Look forward to seeing you then too, Wendy... and to be fair, Mr. T. is not that old...

:wink:
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby plainly jane » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:28 pm

Looking forward to meeting you, too, Wendy.
pj
plainly jane
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:37 am

WestVanDave wrote:Look forward to seeing you then too, Wendy... and to be fair, Mr. T. is not that old...

I am too, dammit, and don't you forget it! Old enough to remember you in diapers. (Of course, that was at last year's VWF....)
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:12 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
WestVanDave wrote:Look forward to seeing you then too, Wendy... and to be fair, Mr. T. is not that old...

I am too, dammit, and don't you forget it! Old enough to remember you in diapers. (Of course, that was at last year's VWF....)

Thanks Mr. T.

I thought I was on to a great original idea... and planned to sell these diapers at Whisky Festivals around the world, until that Astronut Lisa Marie Nowak gave the idea away to everyone... and then I realized that as you were my inspiration for this great plan I would have had to share the royalties and the fame with you anyway...and it kinda took the fun (and half the profit) out of it... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :twisted:
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:21 am

I did think it was a novel approach to the old conundrum, so often heard at festivals: "So many whiskies, so little time...."
Deactivated Member

Postby plainly jane » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:30 am

Only 5 more sleeps until this year's Victoria Whisky Festival!
Is everyone else getting excited about it?

Jane
plainly jane
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:32 am

I am.

:shock:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:46 am

Me too! Plainly Jane, I'm looking forward to meeting you, and any other forum members I haven't met before. (West Van Dave I can take or leave! :P )
Deactivated Member

Postby plainly jane » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 am

Mr TH,

You might have to be a little more kind to West Van Dave. He can look pretty vulnerable and frail at times...or maybe that is what everyone looks like in "We_t" Vancouver.

Looking forward to seeing any forum members. How do we identify ourselves...name tags, hats, feather boas?

Jane
plainly jane
Bronze Member

Postby WestVanDave » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:37 am

plainly jane wrote:Mr TH,

You might have to be a little more kind to West Van Dave. He can look pretty vulnerable and frail at times...or maybe that is what everyone looks like in "We_t" Vancouver.

Looking forward to seeing any forum members. How do we identify ourselves...name tags, hats, feather boas?

Jane

Thanks Jane:

Good to have someone in my corner... that Mr. T is such a bully - and he's always sayin' "I pity the fool this and I pity the fool that" and using those big words that have me running to hide in the corner and pull out my dictionary... He scares me he does!!! :wink: The frail vulnerable look is just my way of expressing my OCD and the resultant manifestation in this hobby called "whisky collecting"...

Truthfully, it'll be great to see you Bruce, Jane, Sir Lawrence and Wendy and all the other forum-ers... Anyone else making the trek? Craig (Badmonkey), Len??? I heard Ron couldn't make it (some lame work-related excuse!!! :wink: ).

We have more than a dozen crossing the pond from Vancouver.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Knolly » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:58 am

plainly jane wrote:Looking forward to seeing any forum members. How do we identify ourselves...name tags, hats, feather boas?

Jane

Hey Jane - sorry I missed you at Willow Park!

Let's see: I'm just over 6 feet tall and I'll have a glass or two of whisky with me.

Should be pretty easy to spot me in the crowd of 800 others.

:)

LOL - I'll be heading over as part of the WCWS group, so WVD will be able to point me out.

Cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby plainly jane » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:06 am

Yes, Knolly, you and 800 others ought not to be a problem.
Among the MC and the VIP tasting and CT, and Tullibardine Dinner, I hope to meet many if not al of the forum members attending.

This is going to be so much fun!

Jane
plainly jane
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:11 am

plainly jane wrote:Yes, Knolly, you and 800 others ought not to be a problem.
Among the MC and the VIP tasting and CT, and Tullibardine Dinner, I hope to meet many if not al of the forum members attending.

Jane

It will be fun but only 450 on Saturday night!

:D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby WestVanDave » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:44 am

Lawrence wrote:
plainly jane wrote:Yes, Knolly, you and 800 others ought not to be a problem.

Jane

It will be fun but only 450 on Saturday night!

I'm sure 450 will look like 900 to me... at least by the end of Saturday.

I'll be attending the following:

Making the Cut: Winchester Distillery Field Trip - 10 ~ 12:30
    BenRiach with Alistair Walker 1 ~ 2 pm
    Cooley Distilleries Irish Whiskey 2:40 ~ 3:40 pm
    Douglas Laing 4:20 ~ 5:20 pm
    The Media, Sponsor & VIP Tasting 6 ~ 7 pm
    The Consumer Tasting 7 ~ 10 pm

Like Knolly, I'm over 6' (standing up - noticeably less while lying down)... and will have a glass or two in each hand, a camera around my neck and a silly grin on my face (the grin will be there regardless of whether I'm horizontal or vertical). :thumbsup:
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Knolly » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:52 am

WestVanDave wrote:I'm sure 450 will look like 900 to me... at least by the end of Saturday.

Last year I "calculated" that I had "sampled" somewhere around 45-50 different whiskies by the end of Saturday. After about 25 of them, my palate was so destroyed that I decided to rate them into three categories:

Averagely tasty (which most fit into)
Not very good (which a few fit into)
Probably really, really damn good, but I can't for the life of me taste anything other than peat right now!

I think I ended off the evening with Macallan Cask Strength that I brought with me or something equally hot and alcoholic: at that point it made no difference.

Last edited by Knolly on Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:04 am

Knolly wrote:
WestVanDave wrote:I'm sure 450 will look like 900 to me... at least by the end of Saturday.

Last year I "calculated" that I had "sampled" somewhere around 45-50 different whiskies by the end of Saturday. After about 25 of them, my palette was so destroyed that I decided to rate them into three categories:

Averagely tasty (which most fit into)
Not very good (which a few fit into)
Probably really, really damn good, but I can't for the life of me taste anything other than peat right now!

I think I ended off the evening with Macallan Cask Strength that I brought with me or something equally hot and alcoholic: at that point it made no difference.

...and I have the pictures to prove it...

Now, Noel - you are starting to sound like someone who has thrown up their hands in despair, giving in to the powers of peat and waiving the white flag of palate-fade (otherwise known as "The Curse of Mr. T!!!") :wink: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :wink:

I figure that with the 4 Masterclasses already launching me over the 20+ mark - then the mad-dash V.I.P. Tasting combined with the Consumer Tasting - and followed up with the "Apres-Festival"... that 45~50 number is lookin' a little light...

I don't think I'll bother trying to count though - there's an outside chance of snow - I'll only have 10 fingers available and their gonna be busy holding whisky!!!
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Knolly » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:28 am

WestVanDave wrote:I figure that with the 4 Masterclasses already launching me over the 20+ mark - then the mad-dash V.I.P. Tasting combined with the Consumer Tasting - and followed up with the "Apres-Festival"... that 45~50 number is lookin' a little light...

Well, I kept that number "light" because i didn't want anyone to think that I might be an alcoholic!

Knolly
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:13 am

WestVanDave wrote:Now, Noel - you are starting to sound like someone who has thrown up their hands in despair, giving in to the powers of peat and waiving the white flag of palate-fade (otherwise known as "The Curse of Mr. T!!!")

Better to throw up hands in despair than to throw up in dis pair of hands.

The powers of peat have scarcely touched me the past two or three years. I've decided I like the taste of whisky.

I'm not even going to try to sample that many this year. Despair has nothing to do with it--there's simply no point. I'll be looking for a few unusual and interesting drams. (And I'm going to try like hell not to fall asleep in Lawrence's suite this year.)
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:30 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
WestVanDave wrote:Now, Noel - you are starting to sound like someone who has thrown up their hands in despair, giving in to the powers of peat and waiving the white flag of palate-fade (otherwise known as "The Curse of Mr. T!!!")

Better to throw up hands in despair than to throw up in dis pair of hands.

The powers of peat have scarcely touched me the past two or three years. I've decided I like the taste of whisky.

I'm not even going to try to sample that many this year. Despair has nothing to do with it--there's simply no point. I'll be looking for a few unusual and interesting drams. (And I'm going to try like hell not to fall asleep in Lawrence's suite this year.)

Touche Mr. T... and I appreciate your focus on keeping your hands clean and your snoring to yourself for the benefit of all in Lawrence's suite this year...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Wendy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:58 pm

Hello Everyone,
I have been working many late nights trying to get everything in order before heading to Victoria. I am welcoming the break and the added enjoyment of attending the Victoria Whisky Festival. It is an annual highlight event for me. I am also really looking forward to reuniting with a great bunch of people. I have registered for a couple of Master Classes (WVDave - save a spot for me in the Cooley's session) and the Friday night tasting, but other than that, I am planning on going with the flow!

See you soon!

Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby plainly jane » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:06 am

Wendy,
I know that there will be at least two of us from Calgary attending the Friday night Bruichladdich event.

Just 2 more sleeps!

Jane
plainly jane
Bronze Member

Postby Wendy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:21 am

Hi Jane,
With the help of Lawrence, I am sure our paths will cross Friday night. I have just checked the weather report and may not have to pack all the woolies that I have put aside. With a forecast of plus 7C on Saturday, I think we are in for another sun-kissed festival weekend.

Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:16 am

Hi Wendy:

Better pack those woolies - and get your money back from that weather forecaster - there's a chance of light flurries and temperatures will be ranging from -3 C to a balmy + 4 C on Saturday... Sunday might warm up to +6 C...

The sun has been shining for the last couple of days though - and I would think we could see an increased front of hot air arriving from the east (Massachusetts, to be exact... :wink: )...

Sorry Mr. T - couldn't resist...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby plainly jane » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:44 pm

Should I be concerned about what will actually transpire when Mr. T and WestVanDave are on the same island, never mind in the same room? Anyone have any kevlar I might borrow?

Jane
plainly jane
Bronze Member

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:29 pm

Hi Jane:

No need for Kevlar - truthfully, I have the greatest respect for Mr. T. - and only throw the barbs as fodder for those witty responses of his...

As anyone can tell, Bruce always comes out the victor in these on-line duels.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby plainly jane » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:07 am

Great, Dave. I was thinking that the kevlar might hinder my drinking arm(s).

One more sleep!

Jane
plainly jane
Bronze Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder